Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

COBB is making Access Port for Evo

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2006, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you already have an ecutek flash will you still be able to use the AP?
Old Oct 18, 2006, 01:30 PM
Silver Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should be able to use the accessport without any problems.

The only thing that I could see is that if your tuner used the locking feature available this may interfer with the accessport reading and saving the map that is on your ECU. I would contact the person that tuned your car and find out if they locked it. If they did we will have to wait to see if this will cause a problem with the port or not.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 07:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RallySport Direct
The Accessport will save whatever is in the ECU whether it is the stock rom or a reflashed Rom from another tuner.

It does not have a generic stock map in there. So when it says reflash to stock it will reflash it back to whatever map you had in there when you flashed it with the AP.
Yes, looks like that's how the V 2.0 will work. The original version I have on WRX overwrote the old stock code, which was forever gone...

A good change, imo. Glad the new EVO unit will be 2.0
Old Nov 29, 2006, 07:55 AM
Evolving Member

I'm not sure if this was discussed anywhere else, but is the AP for the evo going to be able to modify boost tables like it does for WRX? Will the evo still need to have MBC installed or not? I'm planning to run only mild boost increase, 21-21.5 psi or so, but so it can hold that psi to redline?
Old Nov 29, 2006, 08:04 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The only thing that I could see is that if your tuner used the locking feature available this may interfer with the accessport reading and saving the map that is on your ECU. I would contact the person that tuned your car and find out if they locked it. If they did we will have to wait to see if this will cause a problem with the port or not.
I wouldn't expect that to be too much of a problem.. The lock is easily bypassed and I'm sure they know how to do this already.

I'm curious as to how the device is going to handle the different flavors of maps though, as there are at least 16 known roms for the evo 8 style ECU. Actually, I think they would figure it out the same way I did.. The maps always occur in a particular order, and their delimited by a specific header (which also contains useful info about the map)

Any word on whether they will use live tuning in ram, or anything like that? Or all changes will always be flashed?
Old Nov 29, 2006, 08:22 AM
Silver Sponsor

Boost table will be open to street tuner customers. If you need a MBC and still use the accessport you just need to set the MBC to the boost levels the map is designed for. So MBC or Stock BCS will be fine just make sure not to crank the MBC up past what cobb recommends

I know they have played around with a ton of ROMS and have addressed the issue with multiple types of roms.

From what I have heard(READ: NOT CONFIRMED) live tuning will not be flashed everytime you make a change you will only need to flash when changing the whole map.

Expected release for the port is January.
Old Nov 29, 2006, 02:47 PM
Evolving Member

Boost table will be open to street tuner customers. If you need a MBC and still use the accessport you just need to set the MBC to the boost levels the map is designed for. So MBC or Stock BCS will be fine just make sure not to crank the MBC up past what cobb recommends

I know they have played around with a ton of ROMS and have addressed the issue with multiple types of roms.

From what I have heard(READ: NOT CONFIRMED) live tuning will not be flashed everytime you make a change you will only need to flash when changing the whole map.

Expected release for the port is January.
do you have an idea if COBB will have downloadable maps that also make changes to boost tables, just like in WRX? I know that my friend has TBE with a d/l COBB map with the original AP unit and the map sets the boost as well as fuel and timing trims, so he has no need for MBC. The reason i ask is that i don't want to start splicing lines with an MBC if all i need is a map that comes with conservative boost set slightly higher than stock level, through to the redline.

So for live tuning through RAM, wouldn't the ECU try to override what you're changing? like retarding your timing if it senses knock, eventhough you advanced the timing?

thanks for good info.
Old Nov 29, 2006, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

That quote regarding the anti-lag, no lift to ship, and all the other features. I need a reputable source saying that these will be included. Anybody know FOR SURE?
Old Nov 30, 2006, 08:04 AM
Silver Sponsor

Yes the Cobb maps will make adjustments to these tables where they see fit. You will not need a MBC to use the AP it will raise the boost through the stock BCS just like in the Subaru.

I am not sure on the live tuning. If the ECU does do that then they must have figured a way to get around it.

silex - Anti-lag, NLTS and all the other features are in the works. There is no guarantee that they will be available right when the accessport comes out for the evo but the guys at cobb are working hard to get all the cool features in it ASAP.
Old Dec 2, 2006, 12:37 AM
Evolved Member

I was thinking there would be no problem and that the accessport would just save your orignal flash as a stock map?
Old Dec 3, 2006, 02:42 AM
Evolved Member

If that's the case we can still use the openport cble to save our flash. Looks like both products can cater each other rather well.
Old Dec 3, 2006, 05:56 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
You certainly can do that.. the openport cable is an invaluable tool regardless..

If the accessport does what its supposed to, it has other patches to allow live tuning and other things, this makes those portions of the code their own property. So its a really good idea to back up your rom regardless before you ever use the AP.

FWIW I do plan on buying one.. Only when I made inquiries about it directly to Cobb, they never replied to me. I have a hard time spending money on a company that doesnt take the time to reply to you.. At the time I had done this, it was just announced so I'm not sure they wanted to release any info. But they could have at least said they weren't in a position to discuss it.
Old Dec 3, 2006, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

Only when I made inquiries about it directly to Cobb, they never replied to me. I have a hard time spending money on a company that doesnt take the time to reply to you.. At the time I had done this, it was just announced so I'm not sure they wanted to release any info. But they could have at least said they weren't in a position to discuss it.
Malibu, I've found COBB to be very response to inquires posted on their forum.
There is a lot of discussion on this topic.

COBB EVO AccessPORT Forum

Your welcome, Jim.
Old Dec 4, 2006, 08:18 AM
Silver Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jax419
I was thinking there would be no problem and that the accessport would just save your orignal flash as a stock map?

Yes the port will save the map. But if there is a lock on the ECU then you may not be able to save the map. If you have a flash already and are worried about it you can always check with the tuner and he can tell you. Or as Malibujack said there are ways around it so there should be no problems at all.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 11:55 AM
Account Disabled

I currently have a works p2 flash, but plan on buying the AP as soon as possible because I live right down the road from a cobb dealer/tuner. Would I be better off having works reflash my computer to stock or having the tuner write on whats there...... Or is that even possible?

Quick Reply: COBB is making Access Port for Evo