Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

COBB is making Access Port for Evo

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2006, 07:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
COBB is making Access Port for Evo

hey guys, search function is all screwed up right now, so i can't tell if this has been posted. Got this link from my WRX buddy:
http://videos.hspn.com/?videoid=55
COBB tuning is working on Access Port device for the Evo.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

goood news! but when! lol
Old Jul 31, 2006, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They have been for quite a while. It may be too late now with EcuFlash available, though...
Old Jul 31, 2006, 07:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
They have been for quite a while. It may be too late now with EcuFlash available, though...
yea, this is the first time i saw it in a more official coverage.
how does ecuflash compare in flexibility and ease of use? (if u'r familiar with AP)
Old Jul 31, 2006, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Not familiar enough with AP to make definitive comments, but EcuFlash gives you direct control of every ECU parameter with free software. The AP lets you flash in maps that you download from Cobb, I believe, but I don't think you can use it to tune yourself without a ProTuner...
Old Jul 31, 2006, 08:49 PM
Evolving Member

Not familiar enough with AP to make definitive comments, but EcuFlash gives you direct control of every ECU parameter with free software. The AP lets you flash in maps that you download from Cobb, I believe, but I don't think you can use it to tune yourself without a ProTuner...
There is a street tuner option for the software to tune your own maps.

Protuners are all over the country and all are good tuners. Cobb actually sends there main map builder out there to teach the tuner and know that they will be a good tuner.

I have used UTEC, AP with street tuner, Ecuflash, and AEM EMS on both subaru and evo I am waiting for the AP for the evo. it is simply awesome.

After using all these things I have come under the truth that you get what you pay for. I like ECUflash but it is too rough with not enough features. It doesn't have its own logging you can use evoscan but that is not a very well developed program because it is still in the design and production stage.

Also if Street tuner comes with live tuning like it does on the subaru you will be able to tune your car so easily. You can advance timing on the dyno until you see the power drop. You can build the PERFECT map this way.

I think even though it will be more money the ease of tuning and the backing that cobb gives will make it the best choice for the evo owner that likes to tune his own car.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

Ah, didn't know about the street tuner option, so that's a bonus. I don't think EcuFlash is rough or lacking in features, though. It has as many features as the ECU has, basically. It will only improve with time, but I've never seen or used a Cobb AP, so I can't make any comparisons.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 12:44 AM
Evolving Member

i think the AP will be great for someone like me. i want to keep the car stock for the most part. i'll most likely just get a basic tune map while having all stock parts, kinda like the basic Dynoflash mail-in. with AP i'll have the convenience of putting it back to stock map when going to the dealer for service.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well ECUflash is just barely scratching the suface like Malibu Jack says, but give it about a year or so and it will probably be as good as Crome freeware engine management for the honda world or better.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 11:42 AM
Evolving Member

The Cobb AP will be plug and play.. Its simple.... Take it ouf of box... Load downloaded map from cobbs site... flash it via the OBDII ... Teh end
Old Aug 1, 2006, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

I've got a Cobb AP for my STi. It really is a great product. I had my car Protuned which added a whopping 51 hp over the Cobb stage 2 map. I'm getting very impatient and wish they would release the thing soon.

The guy that Protuned my STi told me in June that he was doing beta testing on the Evo version and it should be ready in about 90 days. That was on June 11 so I'm hoping it will be ready sometime in September.

The only thing is now that EcuFlash is available it is very hard to justify spending $650 for the AP and another $300 for the Protune if someone like Al can do the same thing for a heck of a lot less. Hmmmm decisions decisions
Old Aug 1, 2006, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Joizee, you can already do that with EcuFlash. You can flash back to stock in mere seconds.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 12:43 PM
Evolving Member

Joizee, you can already do that with EcuFlash. You can flash back to stock in mere seconds.
so i would upload and save my stock map on a laptop to keep for later? where would i get a basic flash map to use with EcuFlash and how much would it cost? how easy is the whole thing to plug in and all.
thanks
Old Aug 1, 2006, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Hah, behind the times, my Joizee brother! Yes, you get the cable, download your stock ROM and save it. You then send that to Dynoflash and pay $50 for an e-flash matching your mods. YOu receive that e-flash via email and flash it in yourself. Whenever you go to the dealer, you just hook it all up and flash the stock ROM back to the ECU. After the dealer visit, you re-flash the tuned map. Easy, simple, and very cheap.

Tactrix cable (from tactrix.com or straight from Al himself - he has many) = $90
EcuFlash software = $0
E-flash = $50

All you need is a laptop, and you're ready to go. I also recommend EvoScan, which is some good datalogging software that utilizes the same cable to get tons of logging parameters at high speed. It was $15 when I bought it.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had accessport on my wrx...it was great. To me (since i don't know anything about tuning), it is exactly the same thing as getting tactrix cable+ecuflash. Its ecuflash minus your computer. The map is already on the accessport that you order (or you can upload maps onto it). I had a pretty good experience with Cobb though. I'l just have to wait and see if the AP has benefits over my current dynoflash...might decide to get it

Quick Reply: COBB is making Access Port for Evo