Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Can someone help me with my EVO VI power FC map?? PLEASE!!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2006, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can someone help me with my EVO VI power FC map?? PLEASE!!

I have just bought an EVO VI, which had a Power FC installed together with 750 cm3 injectors, but the maps seem to be the original ones, the previous mechanic was not aware at all of the ECU functions (not even the larger injectors where taken into consideration)

Now I am having a dyno time next friday, I have bought an AEM wideband gauge, and will also be using the dyno wideband A/F gauge.

Can anyone suggest any tips for the mapping? Even better, can someone show me their map to have as a starting point? I was told to use the base ignition map and reduce 4 degress in each place and then start advancing to acceptable knock levels......what about the fuel map? Is the base map rich/lean?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give! I am from south america are there isnt any knowledge regarding Evo´s down here.....fortunately I have a good mapper, but he has never used the power FC (fortunately he has an EVO VIII with AEM EMS so he knows his stuff..... )
Old Oct 3, 2006, 03:38 AM

its pretty easy to tune the powerfc

anyone that knows how to use a wideband and correlate it onto a map can do it
basically sort out the afrs first and then do the ign timing
i dont see why you would reduce the map 4 degress and then advance it from there, to me that makes no sense.

on my skyline i took the base maps and advanced around 12deg (below 3 grand) and the car feels awesome to drive. i advanced the timing a fraction in the higher load areas past 3 grand but most engines wont take much more timing up there (detonate, detonate, detonate).

for the afrs if you use the airflow correction table to shift the load up and down on the map you should be able to push it into the right spots of the map which should have fairly good afrs out the of the box. ie: you shouldnt have to edit every value.

if you are still stuck have a read of

http://paulr33.skylinesaustralia.com
documents -> powerfc faq

its based around the skyline but covers most of the common tuning and concepts on the powerfc. it covers wideband tuining, ign timing adjustments and testings. there are also quick ways to advance the map and retarrd it without editing every value so be sure to read the faq on how to use SETTING, IGN/INJ to do quick adjustments on the fly
Old Oct 3, 2006, 10:43 AM

Paul,

Thanks for the reply!

My main concern was regarding the part-throttle mapping (I mean, the fuel maps at medium/high rpms but little-mid load. The Full boost column (last one) is easy to set on the dyno, but the middle part of the map usually requires a Brake-Dyno (my dyno is inertial type).

On the LancerRegister forum (where there are more users of EVOs VI) they suggested that the ignition map was a little too aggressive.....but they did not mention anything about the middle of the map. That is my only concern know.

Anyway, I have bought the AEM wideband A/F gauge in order to monitor fuel ratio on the road......I dont want to run lean at mid load (example: Cruisin on the highway at 180 km/h).

I will reset the unit after installing my walbro pump, and first set the injectors new value (I am running 750cm3 injectors). Then I will start from there on, I was really worried about using the car on the base maps.

Thanks a lot for the help!
Old Oct 4, 2006, 05:44 AM

it shouldnt be too aggressive on stock maps, if it is something is wrong.
it might just be too aggressive on max load somewhere on the map, my skyline was like that.
but under 3 grand on light load, i threw in stacks of timing and the car runs like a dream.
i couldnt add much more timing in the max load areas as it would detonate a bit.

make sure you run the wideband a/f guage to a wideband 02 sensor.
i have seen people run a wideband a/f guage off a stock narrowband 02 sensor and complain that its hard to tune, so be sure u are using a proper wideband sensor.

good luck
Old Oct 4, 2006, 08:59 PM

Thanks paul!

I have just received the car back from the exhaust shop, we did dual 2.5 inches downpipes and full 3 inch exhaust......now my boost has gone up a little bit, and I seem to be getting lots of knock on 3rd and 4th gear.....I will get the car to the dyno and let you know what else comes up.....