Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Does anybody know if an exhaust silencer reduces power?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2006, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anybody know if an exhaust silencer reduces power?

Hi,

Can someone tell if there is any power lost with an exhaust silencer?
Old Oct 26, 2006, 09:27 AM

Yes...close this thread
Old Oct 26, 2006, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

yes it will rob u like 10whp easily at high rpm.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

I dont have any graphs to back it up but of course it will increase back pressure which is why you run a larger aftermarket exhaust in the first place, to reduce back pressure. So in a word, YES.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 10:04 AM

Thanks guys, I know it's a pretty obvious question but I just don't know how much of a difference it will effect.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes you definately will lose a significant amount of horsepower. It can be 10-40 horsepower depending on how small the silencer necks down to. If you do a search, I made this same exact thread and got some very good responses.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah I popped mine in to see what kind of difference it made, and it was pretty bad....killed all the top-end power, and didn't exactly help the bottom-end either. On the up side, it sure was quiet...I was pretty amazed at how much difference it made in noise.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by rcheung
Yes you definately will lose a significant amount of horsepower. It can be 10-40 horsepower depending on how small the silencer necks down to. If you do a search, I made this same exact thread and got some very good responses.

I didn't realize there where such a power loss of 35 to even 50 hp with it on. There is a noticable difference, I'll say that.

rcheung, thanks for the thread info, I finally found the thread.

Old Oct 26, 2006, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Back when I had my megan exhaust and put the silencer on I noticed a HUGE difference in power. At first I thought it was in my head and I was just not use to the car being so quiet but I was wrong. If you want quiet, get a quiet exhaust and dont bother with any silencers. I loved my megan and the sound but the authorities did not. I wound up getting a greddy SP2 which is very safe now passing cops on the highway unless I'm flooring it. It is still louder than my megan with the silencer but it is pretty damn quiet and I don't have the big horsepower loss. Im sure the greddy exhaust will lose some power because its a bit more restrictive then the completely open megan exhaust but it is nothing compared with a silencer.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 08:23 AM

Thanks for all the info everyone. So here's my next question, which will be better to run with, the stock cat or silencer? I'm running a cat delete but the Greddy Ti without the silencer is just too dam load. I know this isn't new news with this system but I don't see in any of the threads, that they ever compare the stock cat or the silencer with this system. I want to know if the stock cat will be a better alternative than that silencer. How much power loss will I have with the stock cat? I've seen people who have the Greddy Ti exhaust and run the stock cat. They mention the sound isn't too bad. The Greddy Ti is a badass exhaust system but I'm starting to feel it's really just for racing.

I originally was running an Injen turbo back set-up because it was supposed to be more low profile. I've been cited for this Injen exhaust system and have passed the noise citation with this system. It makes good power and does require the stock cat to pass the test. Now, I'm just contemplating wheter or not I should go back to my Injen set up because with the delete you don't really notice it? The Greddy is truely a different story.

Last edited by 58177; Oct 27, 2006 at 08:26 AM.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

are you serious?
Old Oct 27, 2006, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by evo8rcr
are you serious?
Ok, I know I'm making this harder on myself but I just want to know. So if anybody has gone through this expirence and would like to add some info, then thanks. I just want to hear what some people have expirenced. It's been a pretty good thread with some very helpful info and links, so thanks to everyone.

Last edited by 58177; Oct 27, 2006 at 10:29 AM.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 10:50 PM
Evolving Member

The silencer that came with my JIC exhaust reduces the pipe to something less than 2". I'm pretty sure that would kill some power.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 01:44 AM
Evolving Member

Since you all talking about exhausts and back pressure,i have a problem.I am looking for months now to find a muffler 3,5inches pipe diameter and a catalytic converter 4inchs pipe diameter and no one can help.Pls if someone can help i will appreciate because i can not run my car without those......
Old Oct 30, 2006, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

just

just get an full TBE and call it a day

APS makes a 3.5 inch exhaust for the evo, i belive
Originally Posted by TTOPPOUZI
Since you all talking about exhausts and back pressure,i have a problem.I am looking for months now to find a muffler 3,5inches pipe diameter and a catalytic converter 4inchs pipe diameter and no one can help.Pls if someone can help i will appreciate because i can not run my car without those......

Quick Reply: Does anybody know if an exhaust silencer reduces power?