Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Xede vs AEM vs Flash. A dilema for a "simpleton"

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2006, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Xede vs AEM vs Flash. A dilema for a "simpleton"

Before you tell me to search, I did. (For the words to put here and explain what my dilema is. )

I have had the Xede, and ONLY the Xede to run my car. I have had the laptop open 3X IN the car. (My computer geekey neighbor had to help me). I RARELY mess with the Xede at all, but rely on a "dyno-day" or drive somewhere and have a "qualified" tuner, with expierence tuning the Xede do it for me. I know people use the flash, and others use the AEM EMS. Now there is the "Utec?" system? Oh yeah, I also had the SAFC for a month in the beginning. (July '03).

I will be headed down the road for a larger turbo soon, and want to ask you "my family" what would be the best to get. BEFORE you say, WHATEVER YOU WANT....... , I will tell you my driving style.

I plan on doing the drags/autox/road racing equally throughout the year. (If I can keep my car together long enough).

Xede:
I Love the fact the XEDE has 2 map, switch on the fly capability. It is a great system, don't have to mess with it much, but when I do, OH GOD, the traveling.I don't like the distance I have to travel to get it tuned. I also don't like that if you post an "XEDE" problem on this site, you WAIT ALONG TIME for help. (not me, but I have seen others hanging out to dry). Other shops get on here and help their "troops" quickly.

AEM:
I guess this is the "dragracers" choice? but then again, I can't mess with the maps, so I guess it is off to the tuners correct? Probably find one of them closer anyhow, but I hear you have to change the tune with changes in the weather. I also have read that some BAD TUNES resulted in a KABOOM scenario. I am not sure about this one, but it is a possibility.

FLASH:
I guess a flash is just the stock ECU with your mods flashed "inside". Set it and forget it? easiest method out there? Can you get 2 maps with a "flash", and download a more aggressive map for the drags? One for the road racing? I gather a "flash" WILL NOT bring out the most out of your mods, as there is only so much you can do with a flash. (Not as much HP out of your car using this method, as opposed to the 2 above?)

UTEC?: Don't know many using this one, so I can't comment.

So basically the question is this: If one was upgrading to a 50 trim turbo, with my mods below, and plans on doing the racing listed above, which would be the best tuning method? Engine management system out there for the driving I/we will be doing?

I gather AEM is best for Drags/Xede is best for road racing? what is the best for ALL types of racing, without having to "Tweak" this map or something else at every event? Or are you going to tell me to go fastest, you have to mess with the maps all the time? Sorry for the long post. Does this question have a simple answer? To reiterate, I am a Simpleton, and don't/wont tweak the maps myself.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 06:05 AM
Evolving Member

I am in the same boat as you.
have you thought about ECU+? seems like great tool, don't have to be genious to tune with ECU+, great logging system, dynograph.

i think i will go with ECU+ and ECUFlash, but i am still searching.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 06:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by vroomevo
I am in the same boat as you.
have you thought about ECU+? seems like great tool, don't have to be genious to tune with ECU+, great logging system, dynograph.

i think i will go with ECU+ and ECUFlash, but i am still searching.
Let me know what you find. With MY LUCK, I would blow up my car! I really don't want to mess with anything, yet I also don't want to have to get it tuned every month or 2, just because my racing style will change. I am shooting Meth as well, so don't know how just a flash would handle that. Keep looking, as I am too! we can help each other out on this one.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 06:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great thread as I'm in the same situation as you. I'm looking at getting a 50trim set up but I don't know what type of EM to run.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 06:59 AM
Evolving Member

I think a custom flash is your best bet. Contact some of the vendors offering custom flashes and discuss your options. You'll find most of them are very helpful and knowledeable.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

I think you keep what you have, you dont have to change the maps every time you race. just two maps and call it a day. I on the other hand have the autronic in my car and like it a lot. so it is what works best for you.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 07:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Toddevo 8
I think you keep what you have, you dont have to change the maps every time you race. just two maps and call it a day. I on the other hand have the autronic in my car and like it a lot. so it is what works best for you.

Do you tune it yourself?
Old Nov 27, 2006, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the responses, I was "fishing" for someone who had EM "X", went to EM "Y", and maybe knows which is better for the Simpleton like me, who WON'T touch the maps/tables myself, due to fear of blowing up my ride. I was curious to see if there is a "golden middle" in EM, and how I intend to drive the car. There might NOT be, but just curious, if all the extra "Bling-bling" is really necessary. I like the "Saftey" features of the Xede I must say.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 05:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Willie Dynamite
Great thread as I'm in the same situation as you. I'm looking at getting a 50trim set up but I don't know what type of EM to run.

1+ im think im going for the email reflash im waiting for my tactrix cable and the WB and get ready.