Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

What's the cheapest method for datalog (afr, knock,...) ?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2006, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the cheapest method for datalog (afr, knock,...) ?

I've done a whole bunch of reading and searching here, but I wonder which is the cheapest way to log your AFR, KNOCK, timing and so on whitout stepping up to a piggy back. I know PLX R-500 will do the job, but its like $600 there. Is there any other device that you guys recommand that is cheap (under$300) ?
thanks
Old Dec 19, 2006, 10:50 PM
Account Disabled

buy a used wideband with a good sensors, pick up a tactrix cable and download ecuflash and some of the logging programs like mitsulogger...
Old Dec 19, 2006, 10:52 PM

i bought the tractrix cable already. I guess what i'm not sure is how to log the knock. will the wideband measure knock as well as the AFR?
Old Dec 19, 2006, 10:53 PM
Account Disabled

u can monitor knock with the tactrix cable and the datalogger software of your choice...
Old Dec 19, 2006, 10:56 PM

oh so that's what i've been missing. Im new to tuning, I didn't know that you can monitor knock with the tactrix. The cable I bought is still on its way to here, so once I get the cable, all i need is a wideband and the software. cool..thanks
Old Dec 19, 2006, 10:57 PM
Account Disabled

you got it...
Old Dec 19, 2006, 10:58 PM

yeah, thanks alot.
well, i guess next part is to figure out how to setup everthing correctly
Old Dec 19, 2006, 11:19 PM

innovate just came out with a kit for the evo. here is some of the info on it.

LC-1 / OpenPort Bundle

With the OpenPort bundle you can:

Datalog from any ISO 9141 (Chrysler, European, and Asian) vehicles.
Reflash most popular late model Subaru and Mitsubishi cars (2001+), including WRX and Evo.
The key is that your wideband air/fuel data is completely integrated with your factory ECU data. This allows you to view fully-synchronous logs, and import all EcuFlash-defined 3D table data and formats directly from EcuFlash generated ROM files into LogWorks charting for easy computation and comparison. At $299, this is the most cost-effective Subaru and Evo tuning tool on the market. And if you purchase from the Innovate store, you get free shipping (Fed Ex Ground, USDM).

The OpenPort bundle includes:

1 OpenPort Universal interface cable from Tactrix
1 LC-1 Lambda Cable wideband air/fuel ratio sensor and controller
A disc with current copies of LogWorks, the EcuFlash plug in, and detailed instructions
Key Features

EcuFlash software makes every parameter of readable ROMS easy to tune.
LogWorks logs from LC-1 (or LM-1) AND the Open Port cable simultaneously (with synchronous data).
Import tabel formats from ROM files- no more laborious table building
Easy to upgrade.

The supported protocols are SSM (Subaru), MUT (Mitsubishi), and ODB-II (ISO 9141 and ISO-14230). This allows you to vastly improve the usability of your data acquisition while editing and flashing a ROM for your ECU. The basic steps are:

Install the wideband and all of the software.
Read the stock ROM off your car and save to a safe place (change properties to “read only”).
Select channels and log AFR data with ECU channels
Import ROM fuel tables, etc. and compare target AFRs with actual AFRs.
Make changes to the ROM
Flash the new ROM back to ECU with EcuFlash
Log to confirm changes and repeat process to improve tune.
With additional sensors, like the dual-axis accelerometers in the LMA-3, you can compare acceleration rates for similar WOT runs, and see if a given tune improved or diminished performance.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by mike314

LC-1 / OpenPort Bundle

With the OpenPort bundle you can:

Datalog from any ISO 9141 (Chrysler, European, and Asian) vehicles.
Reflash most popular late model Subaru and Mitsubishi cars (2001+), including WRX and Evo.
The key is that your wideband air/fuel data is completely integrated with your factory ECU data. This allows you to view fully-synchronous logs, and import all EcuFlash-defined 3D table data and formats directly from EcuFlash generated ROM files into LogWorks charting for easy computation and comparison. At $299, this is the most cost-effective Subaru and Evo tuning tool on the market. And if you purchase from the Innovate store, you get free shipping (Fed Ex Ground, USDM).

The OpenPort bundle includes:

1 OpenPort Universal interface cable from Tactrix
1 LC-1 Lambda Cable wideband air/fuel ratio sensor and controller
A disc with current copies of LogWorks, the EcuFlash plug in, and detailed instructions
Key Features

EcuFlash software makes every parameter of readable ROMS easy to tune.
LogWorks logs from LC-1 (or LM-1) AND the Open Port cable simultaneously (with synchronous data).
Import tabel formats from ROM files- no more laborious table building
Easy to upgrade.

The supported protocols are SSM (Subaru), MUT (Mitsubishi), and ODB-II (ISO 9141 and ISO-14230). This allows you to vastly improve the usability of your data acquisition while editing and flashing a ROM for your ECU. The basic steps are:

Install the wideband and all of the software.
Read the stock ROM off your car and save to a safe place (change properties to “read only”).
Select channels and log AFR data with ECU channels
Import ROM fuel tables, etc. and compare target AFRs with actual AFRs.
Make changes to the ROM
Flash the new ROM back to ECU with EcuFlash
Log to confirm changes and repeat process to improve tune.
With additional sensors, like the dual-axis accelerometers in the LMA-3, you can compare acceleration rates for similar WOT runs, and see if a given tune improved or diminished performance.

cool..i already bought the cable, but i'll look into the LC-1 product
thanks
Old Dec 25, 2006, 11:53 AM
Evolving Member

getting a wideband in conjunction with evoscan will broaden your datalogging capabilities. i'm workin on gettin a wideband myself...zeitronix is my choice.
Old Dec 25, 2006, 01:36 PM
Evolving Member

I have the Zeitronix, works great and is less than $300.00. TTP got a sale on them right now, Check them out!
Old Dec 25, 2006, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mike314

LC-1 / OpenPort Bundle
I am using the bundle, but with the LM-1 instead of the LC-1. I can integrate data from the tactrix cable into Logworks and log ONE chart with ALL the tuning parameters I need/want like, AFR, RPM, boost, Injector Duty Cycle, Load, speed, timing, TPS, and Knock. Innovate is the first company to come up with this. I hope other follow the trend.

Old Dec 25, 2006, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nj1266,
a couple of questions,

with the innovate bundle and a jdm evo map sensor would I be able to log boost?
otherwise it looks like you need the lma-3 to log boost.
Old Dec 25, 2006, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, what everyone has said so far is exactly why i would have suggested. Though i figured i would help you on it a bit.

With your Tantrix cable you will need to d/l one of the logging programs off the internet (nothing comes with the cable), search around for the favorite, ECUFlash, or the only free logging program offered at this point MitsuLogger, from malibujack's (search for his name) website (something like aktivematrix.com or something). Any of the logging programs will report back knock counts and will show you all the info you will ever need for investigating knock/detonation.

Now i am doing the exact same thing as you, and i am also new to this whole thing; so i am just getting the AEM UEGO gauge to moniter my a/f ratio, and make sure they stay within the desired zone; and if you really need to datalog your wideband, you can fab a serial port like many have done, and have the UEGO log into EcuFlash.

Either way you should come out in the end paying less than $300 for the whole thing. I just think the AEM UEGO is a much more user friendly wideband for people like me who are not so technical.
Old Dec 25, 2006, 02:34 PM
Evolving Member

how did you get the uego to work?...just asking because a friend of mine has one and i could just borrow his for logging capabilities!!!

Quick Reply: What's the cheapest method for datalog (afr, knock,...) ?