Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Cobb Stages?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2007, 09:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cobb Stages?

Does anyone know what the breakdowns for the Cobb AP stages? Or even if they will be going the stage route (I assume they are)?

I want to start picking out my parts to go with the stages for the OTS maps ASAP. So a stage breakdown would be most excellent!
Old Jan 6, 2007, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check out their website.

You will see that the most stages they offer on the Subaru they have been tuning for years is <drum roll> two. There is a Stage 1 and a Stage 2, for both the WRX and the STi.

For the EVO VIII, which will be the first EVO AccessPORT released, there will also be a Stage 1 and a Stage 2.

From COBB brochure, which I'll be glad to email to you:

Stage 1 = AccessPORT only (read "flash only", in EVOspeak)
Stage 2 = AccessPORT and 3" TBE (read "flash and TBE")

Evo 8 RS:
Stock: 227 HP & 240 lb/ft
Stage1: 266 HP & 248 lb/ft
Stage2: 282 HP & 260 lb/ft

So, gains are:
Stage 1 = 39 HP & 8 lb/ft
Stage 2 = 55 HP & 20 lb/ft

On their website is the following message:
"Note: Modifications beyond the AccessPORT and a turbo back exhaust, in this case Stage 2, would requires the user to ProTUNE the car to create a custom map. The Stage 2 mapping is specific to the outlined modifications and the use of the map with additional performance products not part of the tuning equation would compromise reliability."

Last edited by Jim in Tucson; Jan 8, 2007 at 04:25 AM.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 05:23 AM
Evolving Member

Actually, iirc, there was a stage "2.5" for 2 liter WRXs with the VF-34 turbo upgrade...

I was pretty happy with my AP, starting with Stg 1 and adding DP, etc., for Stg 2. Stg 2 made a really big difference.

Looking forward to this product - nice thing is ability to revert to stock and unmarry and re-sell the AP. AFAIK, the new models are not detectable by service dealers - provided you remove and replace stock parts...
Old Jan 8, 2007, 09:01 AM
Evolving Member

I believe there is a stage 2.5 and a stage 4 also. But there seems to be a lot more offering for Evo mods than for the SUbarus. So I am curios if the stages will be expanded.

I will probably be getting protuned sooner than later but it is nice to get away with an OTS map for a while too.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please post links to the COBB Stages 2.5, 3, and 4 for the Subies. I'd like to read about them. It may give us some idea of what is in the future for the EVO upgrade path.

Thanks,
Old Jan 9, 2007, 08:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jim in Tucson
Please post links to the COBB Stages 2.5, 3, and 4 for the Subies. I'd like to read about them. It may give us some idea of what is in the future for the EVO upgrade path.

Thanks,
I don't have links, I am just going off of what my Subie buddies tell me. i believe stage 4 is an upgraded turbo from the VF series turbos, on top of upgraded TMIC, TBE and probably a couple of other goodies.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 09:57 AM
Evolving Member

It may have changed since I had my bugeye, but used to be Stg 2.5 was for a VF-34 turbo, plus breathing mods. I don't think Cobb ever released a Stg 3 or 4. I think they are counting on their tuner packages (e.g., Pro-Tuner) to enable higher "stages."
Old Apr 4, 2011, 05:55 PM

stage 2

Has anyone ran stage 2 ap with a high flow cat and cat-back with stock downpipe?
Old Nov 25, 2011, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by tinto1
Has anyone ran stage 2 ap with a high flow cat and cat-back with stock downpipe?
I had a tbe, test pipe, catless up, Cobb sf intake, Cobb lightweight crank pulley on my old Subaru. Running stage 2
It ran like a charm on stage 2 fuel economy mode and valet mode.