Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Too much boost!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2007, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too much boost!!!

I have a 2003 Evo 8 with a turbo XS frount mount, injen Intercooler pipe kit, turbo Xs BOV, Turbosmarts dual stage boost controller, Apexi N1 cat -back, dc sports cat delete downpipe, greddy turbo timer, ams fuel rail and injectors, ACt Racing clutch with 6 puck, ACT prolite flywheel, and Nx ntercooler kit... Too make a long story short the previous boost controller i had was broken and it didnt restrict how much boost i would hit and it blew my head, and who knows wat else..i am replacing it myself, i just dont have the right tools to get the head off.. is there a special tool to actually take the head off... Your help would be great...
Old Jan 6, 2007, 02:56 PM

if you have all the head bolts removed and the timing belt removed , intake and exaust ,removed,all the elect and hoses removed, try a soft faced hammer and gently smack the sides, and it should break free , or pry bar that fits into head bolt hole, make sure you are not in over your head as this could cost you alot more , than just paying someone thats done this before, hope this helps
Old Jan 6, 2007, 03:12 PM
Evolving Member

that sucks
Old Jan 6, 2007, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by dean evo9
if you have all the head bolts removed and the timing belt removed , intake and exaust ,removed,all the elect and hoses removed, try a soft faced hammer and gently smack the sides, and it should break free , or pry bar that fits into head bolt hole, make sure you are not in over your head as this could cost you alot more , than just paying someone thats done this before, hope this helps

how much do you think it would cost me to have a professional do it, cuz money isnt an issue, trust is cuz i dont know any mechanic around here that i trust enough to leave my car but i guess i have to...well let me know how much you think it would be if you know.. Thanks

Andrew
Old Jan 6, 2007, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

should be a couple hundred bucks im guessing between 350 and 450 to just take it off and put it back. rough estimate
Old Jan 6, 2007, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Blackevoate
how much do you think it would cost me to have a professional do it, cuz money isnt an issue, trust is cuz i dont know any mechanic around here that i trust enough to leave my car but i guess i have to...well let me know how much you think it would be if you know.. Thanks

Andrew
Andrew ,where do you live in PA , Buscher racing in Ohio, is tops you have to bring the car to him ,but they are evo experts, they do this for a living, i thing it would be worth it , dean
Old Jan 6, 2007, 11:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi

I'd be interested to find out if you had a flash that raised the boost cut too much. I think there are far to many flashes that put the boost cut either to 319, or so high and the timer so long that engine damage occurs, when boost control fails

MB
Old Jan 7, 2007, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by dean evo9
Andrew ,where do you live in PA , Buscher racing in Ohio, is tops you have to bring the car to him ,but they are evo experts, they do this for a living, i thing it would be worth it , dean
i live in state college,PA but im staioned in cheyenne wyoming right now and i wont be home until the end of july and i am not waiting that long.. cuz if i was close to home i would just go to AMS but im not so i have to find a place out here i was just trying to get an estimate. I make about $3000 a month and all i have is a car payment of $450 so the rest is going into the car. im just probably going to put the stroker kit in and the AMS GT 37R turbo kit with a good tune and see wat i can get out of it. And go from there im tired of ****ing around with bolt on and this **** wont happen again.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by burgers22
Hi

I'd be interested to find out if you had a flash that raised the boost cut too much. I think there are far to many flashes that put the boost cut either to 319, or so high and the timer so long that engine damage occurs, when boost control fails

MB

Well i have not had the ecu reflashed, but i bought the car used and as far as i know it wasnt done by that owner either because i know him personally. There was not parts on the car when i bought it either it as completely stock...but im dont know for sure if it was or wasnt.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by purevibez
should be a couple hundred bucks im guessing between 350 and 450 to just take it off and put it back. rough estimate
Well that means it should be about 2000 to get the motor bored to put the stoker kit in and out it all back together, which isnt bad at all...thanks...hopefully i can find a place around here in cheynne or ill suck it up and take it to some place in denver, but thats a last resort
Old Feb 17, 2007, 02:07 PM

put a new head gasket in it for now. It's not too expensive and I bet you can figure it out with the help of a manual or a DIY printout. BUt if you must do the 2.3 now I can respect that.