Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Utec or Reflash?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2007, 05:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Utec or Reflash?

Ok im at the point where I need to decide what I want to do. So far all i have done to the car is CAT Delete, HKS Exhaust, ARC intake, And Walbro fule pump (before decision is made).

Im not sure what will benefit me the most Utec or a Reflash. At first I was going to get Utec but im not sure that I need all that. ALso with the Utec can I just plug it in right when I get it and download one of there tunes off there sight and be ok?

On a reflash will I get as much power? and how reliable are they?

I have no clue, please help.

thanks
Old Jan 5, 2007, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JDMonster
Ok im at the point where I need to decide what I want to do. So far all i have done to the car is CAT Delete, HKS Exhaust, ARC intake, And Walbro fule pump (before decision is made).

Im not sure what will benefit me the most Utec or a Reflash. At first I was going to get Utec but im not sure that I need all that. ALso with the Utec can I just plug it in right when I get it and download one of there tunes off there sight and be ok?

On a reflash will I get as much power? and how reliable are they?

I have no clue, please help.

thanks
Considering the bargain basement prices of used UTECs right now I would opt for a UTEC. You are wrong however that you can simply download a map off the site and go. They do have 2 maps, but you are much better off having someone create a map for you or better yet learning how to create one yourself. The UTEC gives you the ability to run multiple maps that you can change with the push of a button (no laptop). If you are at all interested in tuning it yourself, you will also need a tuner pro or tuner lite which is essentially a wideband 02 sensor that you can use to log AFRs. If you just want a tune and are not interested in playing with it yourself you may be better off with a flash. It is up to you. I love the versatility that the UTEC offers. For example really like my methanol injection, but I would never run it all the time. The UTEC allows me to have a seperate map for the meth and only run it when I need it. Good luck with your choice.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 05:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have both.. I did a base flash on my car for my mods, and then use the UTEC for multiple maps.. I frequently switch between different combinations so the UTEC is in the car at the moment. But the advantage of the reflash for injector scaling, and other things that the UTEC cannot control is just priceless. I would consider starting with a reflash, then adding and tuning a UTEC if you need multiple maps.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

will i be safe with a stock ECU and a Walbro fuel pump? Ur should I put the pump in once I get the flash or UTEC?
Old Jan 5, 2007, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A UTEC is better suited for people who want to tinker with their tune to optimize it (assuming they know what they are doing) for new mods or different conditions. Its also really nice to have the ability to run multiple maps sometimes. I'm sure you can come up with a bunch of scenarios.

As EvoTech said, if your just going to do a few mods, tune it and leave it, just get a flash. You do it once and forget it. However if you want the ability to fine tune things when you piece mods together, do datalogging on your car, and have the ability to change maps, get a UTEC.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 06:33 PM
EvoM Guru

will i be safe with a stock ECU and a Walbro fuel pump? Ur should I put the pump in once I get the flash or UTEC?
Don't sweat the pump, you'll end up running a bit richer than you were before..
Old Jan 14, 2007, 02:37 PM
Evolving Member

Ok i decided to do the reflash and the walbro fuel pump.

Now where to reflash? I was proubly going to send it to DynoFlash. Is there anywhere else anyone recommends?
Old Jan 15, 2007, 05:45 AM
Evolved Member

Ok i decided to do the reflash and the walbro fuel pump.

Now where to reflash? I was proubly going to send it to DynoFlash. Is there anywhere else anyone recommends?
personally I would go with TTP engineering over dynoflash. Check out the ECUFlash section of this site, they have a list of evo m vendors offering ecu-flash reflashes.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 08:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoTech
Considering the bargain basement prices of used UTECs right now I would opt for a UTEC. You are wrong however that you can simply download a map off the site and go. They do have 2 maps, but you are much better off having someone create a map for you or better yet learning how to create one yourself. The UTEC gives you the ability to run multiple maps that you can change with the push of a button (no laptop). If you are at all interested in tuning it yourself, you will also need a tuner pro or tuner lite which is essentially a wideband 02 sensor that you can use to log AFRs. If you just want a tune and are not interested in playing with it yourself you may be better off with a flash. It is up to you. I love the versatility that the UTEC offers. For example really like my methanol injection, but I would never run it all the time. The UTEC allows me to have a seperate map for the meth and only run it when I need it. Good luck with your choice.
Ok so how much better is the UTEC compared to AEM? Most of the Evo guys around here where I live have AEM, I used to be a Subie owner, and the UTEC seem more popular around the Subie guys.

Last edited by civicevo380; Jan 17, 2007 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Not a smart answer.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 09:00 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by civicevo380
Ok so how much better is the UTEC compared to AEM? Most of the Evo guys around here where I live have AEM, I used to be a Subie owner, and the UTEC seem more popular around the Subie guys.
It is not. Please research a little.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 10:43 AM
Evolving Member

^^^Yep did...Found my answer sorry.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 12:32 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by civicevo380
The UTEC had the potential for being the best of both worlds. I do think most people are better off retaining a stock ECU in some way, both for OBD-II legalities and drivability reasons. If I didn't feel that TurboXS decided to leave the Evo UTEC out in the cold and forget about the platform, I would be very strongly encouraging people to use it, even more now that you can also reflash your ECU, the ability to have multiple maps, and other features is just a great option. Unfortunately, I was looking forward to some good new features for the UTEC that would compliment reflashing even more (blowthrough or speed density, and other types of additional control on top of what the ECU offers)

Right now, the best feature the UTEC has is its pretty nice boost control, and multiple maps, among a few other features. And it has pretty strong tunability, pair that with reflashing, but I can't in recommend the UTEC simply because I don't feel that there's good enough support from TurboXS for it any longer.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 12:48 PM
Evolving Member

Ok so this is the deal, I just got my car not too long ago, and hopefully I will have my TBE installed in a couple of weeks as my first mod, and not my last. I do drive it daily and I'm shooting for around 400 whp, on pump gas. Now is this something that the stock ECU could handle with a reflash?
Old Jan 18, 2007, 03:02 PM
Evolving Member

civic,

There is no doubt that this could be accomplished with a flash. If you look around on these sites I believe that several have made it to your goal with alchy or bigger turbos on pump. The real advantage I have found to using the UTEC and I am only a beginner is the ability to switch between maps. Basically, you can set your car up to run to its peak potential given any number of scenerios (wild swings in temp such as those here in DC, race gas, alchy, glory run, daily driving, etc.).

I originally got the UTEC because there really was no other way to tune the ECU yourself then without going to a full stand alone. The only other option then was Vishnu's piggyback. Now with ECU Flash allot of the DIY tuning can be accomplished with software and a cable that connects to your OB2 port. Check out ECU Flash and make up your mind from there. That is if you are interested in tuning yourself. If not, might as well take it to a professional and have them flash your ECU for your mods as you go.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
The UTEC had the potential for being the best of both worlds. I do think most people are better off retaining a stock ECU in some way, both for OBD-II legalities and drivability reasons. If I didn't feel that TurboXS decided to leave the Evo UTEC out in the cold and forget about the platform, I would be very strongly encouraging people to use it, even more now that you can also reflash your ECU, the ability to have multiple maps, and other features is just a great option. Unfortunately, I was looking forward to some good new features for the UTEC that would compliment reflashing even more (blowthrough or speed density, and other types of additional control on top of what the ECU offers)

Right now, the best feature the UTEC has is its pretty nice boost control, and multiple maps, among a few other features. And it has pretty strong tunability, pair that with reflashing, but I can't in recommend the UTEC simply because I don't feel that there's good enough support from TurboXS for it any longer.
What would you recommend?