Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Missfire Issues

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2007, 07:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your getting into higher harmonics, your getting closer to your peak torque. If you have access to a dyno. I would put it on the dyno and clear the code run the car try to cause the code if you can cause the code have someone run the car for you. Walk around the car while it's running and listen for vibrations. If you can't hear anything making noise you can use a sound probe. If you don't have a sound probe you can use a long stick or rod you place it to your ear and you can hear things inside the engine and tranny while it's running. Just try to use something non conductive and be careful around moving parts.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by [EVO]Cookie
Your getting into higher harmonics, your getting closer to your peak torque. If you have access to a dyno. I would put it on the dyno and clear the code run the car try to cause the code if you can cause the code have someone run the car for you. Walk around the car while it's running and listen for vibrations. If you can't hear anything making noise you can use a sound probe. If you don't have a sound probe you can use a long stick or rod you place it to your ear and you can hear things inside the engine and tranny while it's running. Just try to use something non conductive and be careful around moving parts.
Asuming that I can locate the source of the vibration, what are my options? I mean, If the cams or twin disc clutch are causing too much vibration for the stock sensor, what do I do? Is there a way to bypass some of these systems through aftermarket management?
Old Apr 16, 2007, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby
I get the feeling that it's not a genuine misfire.... Case and point, when looking at the logs it seemed that the engine just pulls timing like crazy out of no where and thinks the car is under extreme load (when looking at the load column it says 300, when that's technically not possible). Then, after it's pulled 10 degs of timing, it goes back to normal if you just take your foot of the gas and reapply it, stutter goes away for a little while. It seems that a sensor (maybe the knock sensor) or something is telling the engine that there's a problem, like a misfire, and it's reacting accordingly when there really isn't an issue.... It's odd that it seems to do it at the same time and same RPM at the same speed and not really anyother time.
^^^^^ Absolutely correct. I have the same exact problem(as well as numerous other '03 owners) and finally got the only, and most logical, explanation from both dealer and "Road Race" veteran mechanics. The knock sensors' sensitivity pickup is set too high(manufacturer F'up) and unfortunately has not been recalled. Vibration from the "straight cut" transfer case is being misunderstood for a p0300 "multiple misfire" by the knock sensor, when in fact, there is no misfire. But hold your pants, there is a solution. All you need is a reflash to set the sensitivity down on your knock sensor. A very common and easily fixible headache among most(if not all) '03 Evo owners. Hope this helps
Old Apr 16, 2007, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by SOOB
^^^^^ Absolutely correct. I have the same exact problem(as well as numerous other '03 owners) and finally got the only, and most logical, explanation from both dealer and "Road Race" veteran mechanics. The knock sensors' sensitivity pickup is set too high(manufacturer F'up) and unfortunately has not been recalled. Vibration from the "straight cut" transfer case is being misunderstood for a p0300 "multiple misfire" by the knock sensor, when in fact, there is no misfire. But hold your pants, there is a solution. All you need is a reflash to set the sensitivity down on your knock sensor. A very common and easily fixible headache among most(if not all) '03 Evo owners. Hope this helps
Is this a dealer flash or something done through a UTEC or tuner cable? this sounds right to me.... thanks for the heads up. This is the first I've heard of an actual fix that fits the problem.

Last edited by Ricky Bobby; Apr 16, 2007 at 09:11 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 08:07 PM
Evolving Member

That sounds like an easy thing to try lower the sensor values. Stand alone is an expensive option. And if there is a underlying mechanical issue a EMS would be a big waste of money. If you have a lot of miles on the car you might want to get your compression cheaked just to make sure the lower end is in good shape. Bad rod bearings could cause a P0300.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by [EVO]Cookie
That sounds like an easy thing to try lower the sensor values. Stand alone is an expensive option. And if there is a underlying mechanical issue a EMS would be a big waste of money. If you have a lot of miles on the car you might want to get your compression cheaked just to make sure the lower end is in good shape. Bad rod bearings could cause a P0300.
At first I thought mechanical issue as well. Everything seems to be fine though. Compression is good, The car runs strong under other conditions (other gears) and it consistantly occurs at the same moment in 5th. Under WOT it's not an issue and the plugs aren't fouled or anything. When looking at the datalogs it looks electrical. Either ignition issue (which doesn't seem likely) or sensor failure.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 08:22 PM
Evolving Member

Is this a dealer flach or something done through a UTEC or tuner cable? this sounds right to me.... thanks for the heads up. This is the first I've heard of an actual fix that fits the problem.
He's been re flashed with the Mitsu fix, and it did not work, just like it hasnt for literally hundreds of other 03-04 EVO8 owners.

Culled from 8 months of viewing, culprits and sometime fixes:

ECU reflash
plugs, wrong heat range
plugs worn
carbon tracking on plug ceramic
plug gap
plug wires
bad camshaft sensor
camshaft sensor not in spec ( giving correct shape of signal )
noisy lifters
lifter pump up
Transaxle noise, 5 th gear shift fork slightly bent or damaged
downpipe hitting lower brace
downpipe leaks
exhaust manifold leaks
real knock
boost too high causing real knock
poor gas quality ( more frequent than you think )
bad connect on coil on plug
worn motor mounts
transaxle noise due to insufficent fluids
EGR valve problems
very poor tuned flash

Take your pick

Milburn
Old Apr 17, 2007, 11:09 AM

referring back to this.... is there a specific setting that has been working best? I found out that I can manipulate it, I just need to know if it's case by case or if there's an actual setting that most turn it down too?
Old Apr 17, 2007, 12:11 PM
Evolving Member

i had this problem. my light comes on about ounce a month. i went through diff plugs, then went to some ngk 1 step colder. and they been working for me. my mods are bc272, headstuds, hpf licp, knn drop in,10.5hs, 3 dp, 3 cat back, rnr intercooler.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 08:46 PM

referring back to this.... is there a specific setting that has been working best? I found out that I can manipulate it, I just need to know if it's case by case or if there's an actual setting that most turn it down too?
Case by case. I had Road Race in So. Cal flash mine. They said some Evos need lower sensitivity settings than others. Depends on how much vibration your specific Evo generates.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 10:18 PM

Case by case. I had Road Race in So. Cal flash mine. They said some Evos need lower sensitivity settings than others. Depends on how much vibration your specific Evo generates.
thanks for the heads up! I've got a tuner that can take a look at it. Wish I lived near road race....
Old Apr 17, 2007, 10:31 PM
Evolving Member

Can this sensitivity be adjusted with ecuflash? I have had the dealer flash twice, input shaft replaced (tranny), and new rings (piston), by the dealer under warranty...with no salvation... with 66K on the motor, I will try anything!
Old Apr 17, 2007, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by fricci4993
Can this sensitivity be adjusted with ecuflash? I have had the dealer flash twice, input shaft replaced (tranny), and new rings (piston), by the dealer under warranty...with no salvation... with 66K on the motor, I will try anything!
I asked my buddy, and he said it can be adjusted with it, but he's never done it. I have a UTEC on the way which I plan on running over my ECUflash.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 11:05 PM
Evolving Member

Can you find out from your buddy whereabouts in ECUflash that adjustment is located?
Old Apr 18, 2007, 05:11 AM

as an update,

orginally had the ECU reflash and plugs changed.....

that didn't work, so I took the car back, changed out the wires and checked the timing, found it was off and replaced the belt and tensioner, and timed the car correctly.....

problem solved for a short period of time, with in 24 hours SES light was back on and the car was stuttering very badly, worse than before......

back to the dealership for another evaulation.....this time the replaced the input shaft in the trans and fifth gear......

picked up the car last night, no problems yet, knock on wood....took the highway to work today on purpose and nothing so far.....

lets hope that this works.....

apparently Mitsu has a recall for these parts as a possible fix for 03 with this problem, I will look into the work order #'s etc. and post them tomorrow....

Quick Reply: Missfire Issues