Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Missfire Issues

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2007, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
did they do the tranny work under warranty or was that customer pay? cause its like 10 hrs labor by the book just to do a clutch on these things.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by fricci4993
Can you find out from your buddy whereabouts in ECUflash that adjustment is located?
I'll see what I can find out.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by gubr6837
did they do the tranny work under warranty or was that customer pay? cause its like 10 hrs labor by the book just to do a clutch on these things.
yes they did, but I purchased the car used from the dealership and it has a bumper to bumper warrenty associated with it.......however, I do believe that Mitsu has a bulletin regarding this possible solution or fix to the random misfire issues so it maybe covered under warrenty.....I will do a little more research and let you know what I dig up....

and as another update: they car has scene quite a bit of highway time in fifth gear at 3,500 and still no problems, knock on wood!

I'll keep everyone posted!
Old Apr 23, 2007, 09:32 AM

not fixed, as an update the car threw the ****ing code once again this weekend, approx. 500 milkes after said fix!

I'm really get fed up at this point! I'll let you know what the next step is!
Old Apr 25, 2007, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

tell us about the gas your using.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 06:49 AM

I run sunoco 93 each time I fill up and I buy from the same location each time.....I have always been very particular about the gas I buy, ever since I built my first high reving, high compression vtec motor way back in the day!

I really hope that gas isn't the issue!

Edit: I am taking some of your advice from the forum and trying the cooler sprak plugs, should be in this week and installed this week as well, I will let you know what the outcome is!

As a side note, I spoke with the previous owner and he never once had the problem....and he spent much of his time traveling to and from work on the highway, so this is a total and complete gremlin!
Old Apr 26, 2007, 07:58 AM
Evolving Member

I just got this code today too.

I have an 04 evo 8 .I never threw this code until i installed my HKS 280s and i havent been tuned yet.

Im guessing its because of my iratticle idle it could possibly throw this code

Read another thread saying something about a e-flash wont help.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 08:46 AM

^the reflash works for some and not for others, I'm one of the others so far!

.......from what other information I have gathered sometimes clutches and cams can cuase this code to occur because of excess vibrations........

the problem comes from an overly sesative cam angle sensor when under the proper conditions detects a knock and hense the random misfire and the retarding of the timing and the stutter you experience at speed in fifth gear under light throttle!

but in some cases like yours the cams because of size and excess vibration will cause this code at idle, similar to how some experience this at stop lights when v8's with no exhuast rumble next to them and the car almost seems to die!

good luck man, hopefuly the relfash will work and the tune will also help!

EDIT: If I'm wrong or off base with the information provided above please do correct me, I am still new to this problem and am only speaking about what information I have read and gathered thsu far
Old Apr 26, 2007, 12:44 PM
Evolving Member

thanks man i hope a tune will calm the idle down enough where the code wont popo up.

good luck to you too
Old Apr 30, 2007, 07:36 AM

so heres what I know, I still haven't thrown the random missfire code! knock on wood!

owever the secondary o2 sensor went the other day, which I thought or misinterprited as the random misfire, however when I finally got it out on the highway it would not stutter, so i knew it was something else,

so maybe, just maybe the input shaft and new 5th gear was the fix!
Old May 3, 2007, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

Well kids I had the P0300 issue over a year ago. Got the dealer flash and everything was fine. Got tuned about 9 months ago and everything was still fine. Got tuned 5 days ago and now I have the fn P0300 back! I am unsure at this point if it has anything to do with the tune or maybe it is from the extra vibration of the HKS cams I put in about 2 weeks ago. I mean they are hooked up to the cam angle sensor. But still, I drove the car for 8 days with those cams and no tune and no issues. After the tune, I get the P0300 back. I am really bummed right now and looking for answers.
Old May 3, 2007, 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

It's funk harmonics in the transmission. I had my flywheel replaced with a prolite, and I've never had problems since.
Old May 3, 2007, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Well like I said, I had the problem and the dealer flash worked and now all the sudden after my tune and some mods it came back today after 13 months. Do you believe that BS? I was P0300 free for over a year and then one day, bam!
Old May 4, 2007, 05:20 AM

^how many miles of the trans? I mean seriously I really truely believe it's a harmonics issue! I had fifth gear and the input shaft in the trans replaced and the code was gone! From what I have read and understand the higher milage trans will develope a ton of play in the input shaft causing the vibrations to increase!

I have also read a couple of things that may back up your concerns about the larger cams causing the code, but I really truly believe the trans is the cause because of my experience with the problem.

good luck man, let us know how things progress!
Old May 7, 2007, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Suckface
^how many miles of the trans? I mean seriously I really truely believe it's a harmonics issue! I had fifth gear and the input shaft in the trans replaced and the code was gone! From what I have read and understand the higher milage trans will develope a ton of play in the input shaft causing the vibrations to increase!

I have also read a couple of things that may back up your concerns about the larger cams causing the code, but I really truly believe the trans is the cause because of my experience with the problem.

good luck man, let us know how things progress!
Stock clutch. Just turned 27,000 miles on the odometer. I'll keep you guys posted.

Quick Reply: Missfire Issues