Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Missfire Issues

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2007, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Threw a P0300 on Thursday. First one since early May. I can deal with a CEL every six months I guess. I just erased the code and should be good now. Before the dealer flash I would get a CEL every week and a half to two weeks so every 6 months isnt too bad I guess.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 05:55 PM

alright my car hs 59700 mile on it and i was having the EXACT same problems as SUCKFACE. took it to the dealer and complained of a vibration in 5th gear intermittently and they didnt ask another question about it just told me to leave it with them. no test drive or anything, which means they know the fix for the problem. luckily mine is bone stock and they didnt even try to deny any coverage. also had them throw in my clutch and flywheel for an hour labor. 75$ well spent. so far so good. tried everything i could to get it to act up on the way home. guess only time will tell.
Old Nov 17, 2007, 11:23 AM
Evolving Member

i got a Creader plugged it in cleared the code and it never came back ... i had goten it once a month for two months prior, now im two months without a p0300. the Creader off ebay as around $30.00.
Old Nov 17, 2007, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby
I get the feeling that it's not a genuine misfire.... Case and point, when looking at the logs it seemed that the engine just pulls timing like crazy out of no where and thinks the car is under extreme load (when looking at the load column it says 300, when that's technically not possible). Then, after it's pulled 10 degs of timing, it goes back to normal if you just take your foot of the gas and reapply it, stutter goes away for a little while. It seems that a sensor (maybe the knock sensor) or something is telling the engine that there's a problem, like a misfire, and it's reacting accordingly when there really isn't an issue.... It's odd that it seems to do it at the same time and same RPM at the same speed and not really anyother time.

has anyone thought of where they are getting their gas from? some places have been busted for their quality of gas. try putting in some fuel treatment in there or fueling up at a chevron. knock can come from unburnt fuel and heat... hope this helps... maybe just a shot in the dark though???
Old Nov 28, 2007, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by dcshoeco
has anyone thought of where they are getting their gas from? some places have been busted for their quality of gas. try putting in some fuel treatment in there or fueling up at a chevron. knock can come from unburnt fuel and heat... hope this helps... maybe just a shot in the dark though???
gas is not the issue when it comes to the p0300 random misfire code, trust me from my two or three month experience, this problem is completely associated with transmission harmonics and an overly sensative knock sensor!
Old Jan 2, 2008, 12:01 PM

i have an 06 RS 9 and it misfires at idle, only at idle tho, and you can hear it misfiring too, i kno all yall evo guys has like a 03-04 but im tryin to find out if anyone who has a 9 has this same prob. any help would be greatly appreciated...
Old Jan 5, 2008, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by 02 OZrally
i have an 06 RS 9 and it misfires at idle, only at idle tho, and you can hear it misfiring too, i kno all yall evo guys has like a 03-04 but im tryin to find out if anyone who has a 9 has this same prob. any help would be greatly appreciated...

I think i have this same shT bro but so far mine is all good but i need the dam code to go away.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by evoterp
I've put 65k on my car, and recently had an ACT clutch installed. After the 4th day of breaking it in, I started throwing the p0300. I've learned to deal with it because I can't seem to fix it (blow off valve has always been recirc..rechecked vacuum lines etc)
The only thing that I am consistent with is that it happens in 5ht gear around the 2500-3500 range ( no boost) I've also noticed this code is likely to pop up after a fill up (within the first 80 miles of the fill up). But I've had it with a quarter of a tank left as well. I agree it has to do with the harmonics that is triggering this. I've got the studdering/hiccuping issue as well and have just accepted it. The only thing I've got left to do is to change the transfer case oil(back to Diaqueen) with the hopes this will at least reduce the vibration, finally putting this p0300 to rest!
I think is the cluctch too mine is make a crazy sound and after i install HKS cams in my car and the code pop up. i did fix it to reduce the shaking and still it come up.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PHI_HO1
I think i have this same shT bro but so far mine is all good but i need the dam code to go away.
Is yours P0300? Do you have cams? Are you tuned? If the answer is yes to all the questions, then I think I know why this is happening. I had it happen to a car I tuned recently and then performed a fix that made it go away. So far my friend has not reported the return of the code.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nj1266
Is yours P0300? Do you have cams? Are you tuned? If the answer is yes to all the questions, then I think I know why this is happening. I had it happen to a car I tuned recently and then performed a fix that made it go away. So far my friend has not reported the return of the code.
I have cams and a clutch and thats why I think I have the code pop up every once in awhile but I don't remember getting the code until I got the twin plate exedy I think that the vibration is what causes it
Old Jan 6, 2008, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by nj1266

yeah i have the P0300, and i have HKS cams before and now I have the Cosworth both 272 and yes i'm tune with the cams 340 whp on dyno yet. and i data log the car with no knock at all. and please let me know what happen so i can fix my car thanks.

Last edited by PHI_HO1; Jan 6, 2008 at 08:10 AM.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by PHI_HO1
I think is the cluctch too mine is make a crazy sound and after i install HKS cams in my car and the code pop up. i did fix it to reduce the shaking and still it come up.
Yeah it is freaking frustrating. Not only do I get the misfire light, i have to release the gas and reapply pressure on the gas to release the studdering. Complete inoperable if I don't release. I'm guessing the clutch replacement highlighted my 5th gear and input shaft play. After time (26K+more miles) the problem/vibration has just gotten worse. So my solution is to rebuild the tranny. If it doesn't fix the p0300 oh well. At least the rhythmic womp womp I hear in fifth gear will be fixed. Drives me nuts!
Old Jan 30, 2008, 05:54 AM

still no fix for p0300 on evo x

got the brand new march issue of motortrend in the mail today. upon reading the comparison article of the evo x gsr vs. the wrx sti, i was amazed to read this: "the mr's 58.2-second lap time puts it just ahead of the sti, though it could've beat the gsr had our test vehicle not been plagued by a high-rpm hesitation. mitsubishi claims to have already solved this problem and finalized the ecu softwaree that has delayed the release of the mr. look for a full test soon." wtf, over 36k and they still can't get the hesitation/ misfire issue that was on the previous model correct. don't get me wrong, i love my evo, but too many loyal evo owners are having this p0300 problem without what seems to be a fix by mitsubishi in sight. this is supposed to be the factory's "halo" car, and they won't even offer a solution for the problem. i was considering buying an evo x, but now, i don't think so.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by djulian21@juno.
got the brand new march issue of motortrend in the mail today. upon reading the comparison article of the evo x gsr vs. the wrx sti, i was amazed to read this: "the mr's 58.2-second lap time puts it just ahead of the sti, though it could've beat the gsr had our test vehicle not been plagued by a high-rpm hesitation. mitsubishi claims to have already solved this problem and finalized the ecu softwaree that has delayed the release of the mr. look for a full test soon." wtf, over 36k and they still can't get the hesitation/ misfire issue that was on the previous model correct. don't get me wrong, i love my evo, but too many loyal evo owners are having this p0300 problem without what seems to be a fix by mitsubishi in sight. this is supposed to be the factory's "halo" car, and they won't even offer a solution for the problem. i was considering buying an evo x, but now, i don't think so.
I dont think the X SST and the VIII/IX platform share the same problem.
Also the P0300 is not nearly as common on the IX's as it was on the early VIII's. For the IX's with P0300 issues it seems to be a totally different set of causes than the VIII's. For some people the Creader is the only solution for thier VIII's that are no longer in warranty.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 04:34 PM

a friend had a similar problem, and it was related to the 5th gear pinion, The ecu was picking it up as knock and it would misfire, they change the 5th gear< and problem solved...

Quick Reply: Missfire Issues