Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Missfire Issues

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2007, 05:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Missfire Issues

I searched the forums and found nothing, just looking for a little help......

I recently purchased an 2003 Evo.

When I test drove the car, it ran stong and seemed fine, the SES light was on, and I made mention of it to the dealership......however when test driving it, I never got to car onto the highway......

Anyway, I picked up the car, I was told the problem was taken car of and the SES light was no longer on......while traveling on the highway in 5th gear around 2,500-3,000 rpm the SES light comes on and the car began to feel like it was missfiring.

I phone the dealership, tell them was is happening and they tell me to bring it back in, the car was worked on once again, and sure enough the code shown was for a random missfire.

I pick it back up, "fixed" again, and no more than a day later the same thing happens. I take it back again, this time they replace the spark plugs and reset the computer, no more than a 100 miles later on the highway again and here comes the SES light, the car again feels like it it missfiring.....

Anyone have any similar issues / problems?

The car has 78,000 miles on it, is very clean and runs strong other than on the highway in 5th gear, then I can feel not a random missfire, but an almost constant one!

Any information anyone could provide would be a huge help! I am getting very frustrated that no one at Mitsubishi can tell me what's wrong!

Thank you all.

The information I know about the car and it previous owner are as follows, all the miles were highway, it did have an exhuast and cams in it.....other than that I know very little, please say that someone else has had a similar experience and there is an easy fix I am just over looking!

Thank you all again.....
Old Apr 4, 2007, 05:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mods to the car?
Old Apr 4, 2007, 07:18 AM

none, the car is stock as it sits now....
Old Apr 4, 2007, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
IIRC, this problem is very common on 2003 Evos. Do a search under "random misfire" or "p0300 problem." I remember that there was a dealer flash to try and solve this problem on the 03 Evos. A lot of 03 Evo owners have had to struggle with this problem over the years.
Old Apr 4, 2007, 12:18 PM

thank you for the information, I have had the dealer reflash the ECU and still no help, I have had the dealership also replace the plugs and wires, out of my ignorance and I guess theirs......

the information in the threads I did find were helpful.....hoepfully something good comes of this, otherwise I am going to be pissed!
Old Apr 4, 2007, 12:22 PM

Call Cherry Hill Mitsubishi ask for Jeff.
I might be able to hook you up with our shop foreman.
He knows all!!!
Old Apr 4, 2007, 02:02 PM

^thanks alot I really appriciate it......

I'm hoping that the flash and new plugs and wires do the trick but from what I've been reading it doesn't look good!

I guess I will find out tomorrow when I get it back, again!
Old Apr 5, 2007, 06:46 PM

man im having the exact same problem. im a second owner 03 evo with 49k. its never consistent though. i went to the dealer and they said the reflash had already been done. pulled a plug and they look fine. and none or the wires look like they have shorted anywhere. im stumped.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 01:43 PM

ok so as an update, I have been through the ringers so to speak I think I have the problem nipped in the butt!

tell the dealership or do it yourselft, but scheck the timing! I checking the timing as a lst resort and it was off, causing the code to be thrown and the stutter to happen!

I was so pissed and upset thinking that I gotten taken for a ride, but here it was a simple solutoin.....

^good luck man
Old Apr 9, 2007, 04:51 AM

Second Update:

put over 100 miles on the car and the ****ing light came back on this morning on my way to work......the car is running better, mostly due to the timing now being correct, however; same conditions as last, light throttle, fifth gear, 3500 rpm!

I ****ing hate life right now! I will keep anyone interested posted as I know anything else or have nay additional updates.......I think my next course of action maybe trying to run cooler plugs as suggested on the "Random Misfire p0300" thread....
Old Apr 13, 2007, 09:17 AM

dang man u really had me excited on this one. i havent had the chance to check my timing (mostly cause i just lost my license and ive only had the car a month and cant even drive it now) but i was hopin u had the fix. maybe eventually the problematic part will just go out completely. thats what im hopin for cause then theres no doubt on what is wrong. good luck with it man cause im not gettin any miles on my car at this point
Old Apr 16, 2007, 01:57 PM

Looks like we can start our own special club, cuz I have the exact same problem gentelmen. I have read/searched, what feels like, every thread known to man on EVOm. I have an 03 with: Cams, Cone filter, TBE, FMIC, and a fuel pump. I have the stutter at 3k-3500 RPM 65% of the time in 5th gear around 80mph. I've noticed some missfire at other times too, but rarely. I've been tuned and it didn't help. I went back to stock ecu, same thing. I've done plugs copper, platinum and iruridium gapped shorter. I've had the fuel system/injector flush at the dealership. I think I've tried everything short of replacing the motor and the ignition system. There's got to be something we're missing here.... hasn't someone else had these problems and found a solution? Shoot, my STI ran better than this...lol.

Last edited by Ricky Bobby; Apr 16, 2007 at 01:59 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 05:00 PM

here's a guy with similar issues:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=256581
Old Apr 16, 2007, 05:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi, I have seen this code before and it's not always a misfire. If you have changed your plugs and had an expert look at the plugs and they look fine then it's not a misfire. The pickup sensor some times will pick up vibrations from metal to metal contact or u-joint or shaft or bad bushings. I have been in the auto repair business for 23 years now. If the dealership can't figure it out try looking for what I posted here.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by [EVO]Cookie
Hi, I have seen this code before and it's not always a misfire. If you have changed your plugs and had an expert look at the plugs and they look fine then it's not a misfire. The pickup sensor some times will pick up vibrations from metal to metal contact or u-joint or shaft or bad bushings. I have been in the auto repair business for 23 years now. If the dealership can't figure it out try looking for what I posted here.
I get the feeling that it's not a genuine misfire.... Case and point, when looking at the logs it seemed that the engine just pulls timing like crazy out of no where and thinks the car is under extreme load (when looking at the load column it says 300, when that's technically not possible). Then, after it's pulled 10 degs of timing, it goes back to normal if you just take your foot of the gas and reapply it, stutter goes away for a little while. It seems that a sensor (maybe the knock sensor) or something is telling the engine that there's a problem, like a misfire, and it's reacting accordingly when there really isn't an issue.... It's odd that it seems to do it at the same time and same RPM at the same speed and not really anyother time.

Last edited by Ricky Bobby; Apr 16, 2007 at 06:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Missfire Issues