Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Need tune advice

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2007, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need tune advice

Getting my first tune this PM and have a couple questions.
Mods are TBE, cams, pump, LICP, BPV, K&N, & MBC.

As I understand it, the motor will handle higher boost and higher RPM, but doing both is perhaps unwise. I also understand that the rev limiter can be adjusted. Since I'm after max torque, does it make any sense to actually lower the rev limiter so I can more safely run at a higher boost level?

Any other tuning suggestions for max torque?

What is a recommended AFR in an extremely hot climate? Or does climate matter? What air temp compensation does the OEM ECU provide? Is a flat 11:1 AFR sufficient? Should it be enriched to say 10.5:1 above 5,000rpm?

Thanks,
Jim in Tucson
Old Apr 10, 2007, 06:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
depending on what cams you have it is almost pointless to lower the RPM, if tuned corectly you should have steady power throughout...
Old Apr 10, 2007, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hks 264/264
Old Apr 11, 2007, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lower the rpms while upping the boost? Bad idea. You'll be wasting money, time and power. Your peak torque curve will hit at a much lower rpm then your redline but the hp production will continue to at least 6300rpms where it will either platuea or fall off slightly. Keep your stock redline.

You didnt mention how you will be getting the car tuned, but I would reccommend professional dyno tuning. They will be able to determine what AFR you car is safe at under load, trying to make generalizations with AFR's is something people do too often on forums.

One generality that I will accept is that 11.5 or below is usually safe, although not the most power inducing. Just let the tuner handle the AFR's and pay attention and ask questions as they are doing it! You will learn volumes of info! Good luck