Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Which Reflash to get?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2007, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by burgers22
Having seen some of these "tunes" I'd argue with them.

MB
Oh ok....Im sure Dynoflash and TTP ect. has never had a "bad flash" or Unsatisfied customer
Old Apr 26, 2007, 06:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ev0cRaZy
Oh ok....Im sure Dynoflash and TTP ect. has never had a "bad flash" or Unsatisfied customer
I couldn't comment on those people, I have never seen a flash from then as far as I know. If you had seen the method of tune used, you might have a different opinion. I just don't happen to like block timing, no boost cut and large jumps in target AFR.

MB
Old Apr 26, 2007, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by burgers22
I couldn't comment on those people, I have never seen a flash from then as far as I know. If you had seen the method of tune used, you might have a different opinion. I just don't happen to like block timing, no boost cut and large jumps in target AFR.

MB
Oh I wouldnt know what thats like, Ive had over 30 flashes from him and have never saw any of that. Sorry yours was the opposite.....

Oh yeah, hes been tuning for 11 years, sorry
Old Apr 26, 2007, 07:34 AM

Personally, from my very limited experience, the chain goes like this:

Self Tuned (cheapest, especally to repeat)>Custom Dyno Tune @ respected shop/tuner (e.g. Dyno flash's come-to-you tune) > Custom Road Tune @ respected shop/tuner (e.g. Sean Ivey's Road tune) > Custom Logged, self implemented flash (Jester, 4WS) > Generic map flash/Mail in flash > Stock

The funny thing is is...If you got the flash from each method and compared them all, I would bet they would all look very close to the same. Tuning strategies do vary, but they are like taking any of 300 roads to one destination. If from one tune to another you gained 3 H.P. or the car lasted another 40 miles, Whats really the big deal?

Last edited by Titanium; Apr 26, 2007 at 07:37 AM.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ev0cRaZy
Oh I wouldnt know what thats like, Ive had over 30 flashes from him and have never saw any of that. Sorry yours was the opposite.....

Oh yeah, hes been tuning for 11 years, sorry
I am heartened to hear that not all the tunes are like the one I saw. This is good news for those who are thinking of going that route.

I have tuned my car myself, knowledge gained from here and other forums, a wideband, logging with ECU+ and Mitsilogger.

I don't think you need 11 years of experience to come to the conclusion that a mass block of 7s, or the other points I mentioned are bad news.

I am glad your tune was the opposite of those I've seen.

MB
Old Apr 26, 2007, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Titanium
The funny thing is is...If you got the flash from each method and compared them all, I would bet they would all look very close to the same.
If that were the case, there would be far less comment, if you have a look at some of the maps posted, you will see some really odd looking things, mass block of 7s in the timing map, high octane fuel richer than low octane, no boost cut. Not all of these are "pro" tunes, but the variety is interesting.

MB
Old Apr 26, 2007, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best thing to do is to go to a shop near you that can tune your car.

Dont beleive the hype along the lines of: "your local shop is not famous so they suck, go with somebody who's been doing it for 20 years and has flashed 3.5 million evos" That's a bunch of BS.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 08:38 AM

^ I do agree with the above, and I do respect you burgers, I've read several of your well thought out posts

My point was that Instead of considering one company to be better than another, consider the method involved, including the "uniqueness" of the tune to YOUR car. If there is a company that consistantly features "poor" tuning, such as tunes that are "unsafe" it won't be long until the cat is out of the bag. the evidence that so many different opinions exist about the SAME vendors prooves that most are not all good or all bad.

As mentioned, I personally trust my car to myself.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 08:39 AM

PM Mellon...

I gave him a shot and it's the best decision I've made so far on the EVO...

Keep us updated on who you choose and the results...
Old Apr 26, 2007, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Titanium
^ I do agree with the above, and I do respect you burgers, I've read several of your well thought out posts

My point was that Instead of considering one company to be better than another, consider the method involved, including the "uniqueness" of the tune to YOUR car. If there is a company that consistantly features "poor" tuning, such as tunes that are "unsafe" it won't be long until the cat is out of the bag. the evidence that so many different opinions exist about the SAME vendors prooves that most are not all good or all bad.

As mentioned, I personally trust my car to myself.
I blush a little at the above. I refer you to your post #5 in this thread, https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=266208

I suggested it be made a sticky, I wish I could find a "hats off to you" kind of smiley.

MB
Old Apr 26, 2007, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

Do what you want, my #'s dont lie.....

If you would have contacted Jestr Tuning about your flash, he would have been more than happy to fix it.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 08:28 PM
Evolving Member

I'm dealing with someone local as well. Hopefully it's better that sending my ecu off.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
my jestr flash had no 7 blocks, a safe low map(as in not close to the high maps), and lower values for boost cut compared to another very popular and experienced tuner on this site.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 08:33 PM
Evolving Member

Jestr is the way to go. Not only is a he a great tuner, hes a great guy!!! Great customer service.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 09:03 PM
Evolving Member

Is there really a night and difference even at stock with a good tune?

Quick Reply: Which Reflash to get?