Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Wideband

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2007, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wideband

Is running a wideband for simple mods like TBE, intake, MBC and BOV nessacery? Or can all the tuning and A/F be sorted out with a flash. I'm running wideband on my boosted mirage but that was originally N/A so it has extensive mods and the tune/A/F ratio is much different from stock. I just wasn't sure if a wideband is a must for simple bolt on's on the EVO. As long as I'm running a nice 10:1-11:1 A/F at WOT I'll be happy. I want to keep it pretty rich because I want to use the car for tracks and not just 11-13 seconds down a 1/4 strip
Old Jun 19, 2007, 07:12 AM
Evolving Member

Necessary? Well, that depends. When tuning, I'd say yes because you want to know if the engine is getting the right amount of fuel. Once tuning is done, it's not "necessary" to have a wideband installed except as a safety measure. Even then, you have to keep watching the gauge and react when things go awry (typically too lean).
Old Jun 19, 2007, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by juyanith
Necessary? Well, that depends. When tuning, I'd say yes because you want to know if the engine is getting the right amount of fuel. Once tuning is done, it's not "necessary" to have a wideband installed except as a safety measure. Even then, you have to keep watching the gauge and react when things go awry (typically too lean).
For tuning yes, but yeah I was wondering for after the tune. I've been thinking more and more that I might as well just install one. I have one on the Mirage but again that ws a very extensive tune. I just wasn't sure with such a small tune like the EVO will be getting if the Wideband will really be worth it.

But you answered my question for the most part Innovates aren't too expensive and thats what I run in the Mirage. I may pick on up
Old Jun 19, 2007, 04:57 PM

Get a wideband as power mods are addicting and simple mods only last for so long before the hunger for more power grows.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 04:01 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't have any trouble tuning by NB02 but a WB02 is nice to make absolutely sure you're where you want to be.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 04:15 AM

I guess since I first got the Evo everyone told me from day one get a Wideband if you plan to do more them basic mods. After a tune yes all should run well but you never know when fuelpump or a line goes bad and you might not know something is wrong till it's too late... Wideband helps if you learn to keep an eye on it when something doesnt feel right..... aleast for me

for 200+$ could save you alot more in the long run.

Last edited by evotico; Jun 21, 2007 at 04:17 AM. Reason: word
Old Jun 21, 2007, 06:37 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by evotico
I guess since I first got the Evo everyone told me from day one get a Wideband if you plan to do more them basic mods. After a tune yes all should run well but you never know when fuelpump or a line goes bad and you might not know something is wrong till it's too late... Wideband helps if you learn to keep an eye on it when something doesnt feel right..... aleast for me

for 200+$ could save you alot more in the long run.
good points
Old Jun 22, 2007, 07:22 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No one should be tuning with a narrowband. The technology is 10-15 years old when it is applied to tuning cars. This is because they used to cost $15000-30,000 at that time.
Old Jun 22, 2007, 07:24 AM
Evolving Member

Narrowband is just for looks...I should know.
Old Jun 22, 2007, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

When I bought the car it had a cheapo narrowband it it. It's obnoxious. But I don't remove it because I don't want an empty pillar gauge holder

I'll end up getting a wieband after my TBE, filter kit and tune.
Old Jun 23, 2007, 05:27 AM
Account Disabled

plus the blinky lights are cool
Old Jun 25, 2007, 04:25 PM
Evolving Member

why cant we tune using just a narrowband o2 sensor? I thought the only reason a wideband is better is because it gives more data per second? Whats the difference?
Old Jun 25, 2007, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

^^ THATS A GOOD QUESTION.. I would like to know as well.. I personally have the wideband for safety and tuning.. after a couple mods.. I say its a must have..! things have a higher possibility to tend and get out of place once modified from its original form..
Old Jun 25, 2007, 05:22 PM
Account Disabled

a few thoughts:

NB02 has a low 0-1 resolution so slight fluctuations in AFR will not show up
WB02 has a high 10-20 resolution so you can see exactly what's going on.. I can even detect misfires with the Innovate LM-1, it's that fast.

NB02 don't have a heater and require hot exhaust temps to get them to read correctly
WB02 have a built in heater to keep them at the right temps.

NB02 cycle back and forth from 0-1 (roughly) when you're "stoich" at idle and cruise which makes it difficult to see exactly what the AFR is.
WB02 will give you the exact AFR, no cycling.

that being said, I still don't have much trouble tuning by NB02, there's an art to it and a few tricks to get the readings more consistent for tuning. If you have the choice, get a WB02, it's superior in every way and relatively inexpensive these days.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 08:35 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Owners spend $35,000 on a car with another $5000-10,000 in modifications. Why would you risk your engine to save a few bucks on a wideband or allow someone tune your engine with a narrowband O2 sensor designed to trim cruising fuel trims and not WOT?

Last edited by CharlesJ; Jun 26, 2007 at 01:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Wideband