Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Cold Start Problems (AP stg2)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2007, 07:01 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cold Start Problems (AP stg2)

I was hoping my first AP post would be about how my flash went and my comparison between the AP tune and the AMS base flash, but alas I didn't have time for that writeup yet. Hopefully I'll find some time to get that done in the next day or two. I do have an issue though....

So, right after I flashed at the track, I hopped in the staging lanes and someone broke down on the line. Another fine day waiting in the staging lanes... but the lines start to move and I have a chance to pull up a decent amount. I start to crank the car aaaaand _nothing_.

Of course my first thoughts are that something is wrong, but right after I flashed the car was behaving a little strange idling at only about 600RPM (car was already cooled down pretty well when I flashed). After blipping the throttle a few times it finally caught a decent idle so I figured it was just fresh fuel trim woes.

So, I take a quick check under the hood, go back to cranking for 2 sec in 3 reps... and after about 6 more tries the car turns over... idles really low again. By this time the car had cooled down completely. Eventually as the car warms up things return to normal and the car starts to drive fine.

Yesterday was unseasonably warm for this time of year in Chicagoland (maybe 55deg) and the car cranked over faster than I had ever seen before. Literally the second I hit the starter it was running. Let it warm up for 5 seconds like I always do, go to move and it bogs as soon as the clutch starts to engage. I pull off the clutch and idle drops back down to 500-600rpm... there was a car behind me so I just revved it to get out of the way. By the next stop sign problems are gone.

This morning I have the same problem that I had Sunday at the track. The car just wouldn't crank over. I finally get it running and idle just plops right around 900rpms. Gave it 10s tried to move and bogged... so I sat to see if the RPMs would eventually rise... they didn't. Temp guage got to about 1/8th of the way over the line without a change in RPM.

Is the stg 2 flash missing the cold start map?
Old Nov 13, 2007, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This sounds like the same problems others have experienced with the stage 2 93oct map that was originally loaded onto the AP when shipped.

COBB said the idle portion of that map wasn't right and they already have a new 93oct map on their website to download that addresses this.

Check their site and get the new map into to your AP and flashed

Christian's Post
We have made some revisions to the idle tables for the Stage2 93 v100 and Stage2 93 v100 High Elevation calibrations. We made a minor mistake with the initial calibration which made the vehicles running these calibrations have a lower than normal idle. We do not consider this revision a major revision that requires a Up Rev to v101. You can download these revised calibrations from our EVO 9 Map Link. These revised calibrations will show up on the AccessPORT as "Stage2 93 v100a" and "Stage2 93 v100a High Elevation". I apologize for this over site, we simply set the idle control tables to a lower than optimal setting with the initial release of these two EVO 9 calibrations. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

We have also uploaded the Married Stock Mode calibrations for all USDM EVO models.

Take care,
Christian.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old Nov 13, 2007, 08:04 AM
Evolving Member

Download the new stage 2 93 oct V100a and see if that fixes the problem. Let us know how it works for you.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 08:57 AM
EvoM Community Team

Hmmm... very strange. I didn't even use the maps off of the CD. Whenever I get hardware I always go to the site to get the newest, freshest code. I pulled the AP software and maps all from their site Friday night.

I'll still grab the maps again and see if that fixes things.

Thanks for the info guys!

Also, does anyone know what the target boost is for the SCCA 100oct map? I'm using an EBC but I was interested in running it at the track. I also noticed the on-line map notes aren't working, but when I checked them out on the AP itself it looks like it was set up for 93+ or 93-100octane. Anyone heard any other info on that?
Old Nov 13, 2007, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

I don't know that ....but I did notice a few weeks back that the notes portion wasn't accessible.....FYI to COBB....
Old Nov 14, 2007, 06:05 PM
EvoM Community Team

It looks like the AP was loaded with the original maps already and I only added the new ones to my library, then only uploaded the Sunoco 100oct map to my AP. Idle seems better now. Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited by fostytou; Nov 14, 2007 at 06:17 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2007, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

Kind of weird...I was looking at the maps on the COBB site yesterday and actually didn't see the version "A" map for the 93oct on there....
Old Nov 15, 2007, 07:24 AM
Evolving Member

CPA5 - It won't say it unless you click on the download button, then you will see the v100a.
Old Nov 20, 2007, 10:48 PM
Evolving Member

I might be crazy but I just got my AP today and it does have a way to read boost on it any you guys see anything like this?
Old Nov 20, 2007, 10:54 PM
CDO
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ethompson
I might be crazy but I just got my AP today and it does have a way to read boost on it any you guys see anything like this?
I don't. Is it labelled boost and is it under Live Data?
Old Nov 20, 2007, 11:06 PM
Evolving Member

it doesnt I mean im sorry
Old Nov 20, 2007, 11:31 PM
CDO
Evolving Member

No problem.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

There is no boost read out.

COBB should explain further if needed...what I was told is that the way it is metered/sensored...etc...read thru the ECU is not like the subies and it would be more difficult...require more hardware to get the AP to read it out.

That is why I just ordered the STRI boost gauge from IA Performance
Old Nov 21, 2007, 01:10 PM
Evolving Member

Yea I asked them this morning and Chris friom cobb basically said the evo's ecu has no way of showing where the boost is at. So I guess I need a boost gauge then
Old Dec 10, 2007, 11:49 AM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by ethompson
Yea I asked them this morning and Chris friom cobb basically said the evo's ecu has no way of showing where the boost is at. So I guess I need a boost gauge then
The stock MAP sensor on USDM evos isn't even good to 10psi. JDM ones are good to 30psi, but you can't just swap them unfortunately. Hopefully in the future there will be map code for this for the AP, but I'm pretty sure that is pretty far down on their list (unless they get speed density working!)

Quick Reply: Cold Start Problems (AP stg2)