Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

is this right???

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2007, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is this right???

alright i have a question about prices for dyno tuning the place i take it to now charges me 800 every time i get new parts and that is just for the dyno tuning. then i had another question does 10 hours of labor seem right for a turbo manifold because im new to the awd turbo thing and that dont seem right to me because they got the cam gear put in, in about two hours...the only reason i dont put the parts on myself is because they said it would hurt the car for me to drive an hour to the shop without any tuning being done...
Old Nov 17, 2007, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I can change a manifold (and do it right) in under 2 hours with basic hand tools. You take the DP off the hangers, take out 2 14mm bolts where the DP mates to the O2 housing and remove the 6 14mm bolts and 7 12mm bolts from the manifold. After that, you just have to coax it out. Someone who does it every day could probably do it in an hour with a lift.

As far as the tuning, I guess if they are custom tuning the car every time from scratch and charge a TON for dyno time, $800 could be in the ballpark. I know that TopSpeed charges $300 for a custom ECUFlash dyno tune on an Evo. If you are using ECUTek, the base charge is like $650.
Old Nov 17, 2007, 12:40 PM

yea it is ecutek well the company MZM has a contract with ecutek and thanks for the reply i thought 10 hours was a bit much...guess its just a money thing with them because every time i go they want like no less than 4 grand but they finally gave me a discount at 500 for the tuning so i guess im happy.
Old Nov 17, 2007, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

Even if it's ECUTek, a re-tune shouldn't be much. The ECUTek price is high because of the license. If you are re-tuning, you already have the license and it should be MUCH cheaper.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 07:51 PM

what exactly is a license cause i picked up the car today and they said they lost my cd or something to that effect and that they also lost the update cd for their dyno(they update it every 6 months) so now when i got my dyno sheet it looks exactly the same numbers as b4...im just going to take it to houston where they have the dynojet dyno because these guys just keep pissin me off with this mustang dyno.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 05:24 AM
Evolved Member

Sounds to me like the never dyno'd the car and just re-printed your old sheet ... that's really sucky of them.