Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

COBB Intake Only?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2007, 07:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
COBB Intake Only?

So I keep seeing that if you want to run the AP, you have to have either stock airbox or a Cobb intake system.

I am runing a mixed tbe and have an HKS RS intake and HKS SSQV, among other little things.

Can I not run the AP? What is the effin difference?
Old Dec 5, 2007, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

The tbe won't matter which you have....the intake though...from my asking and others more knowledgeable telling me.....has much more affect on things...(not powerwise)....but in regards to the MAF and AFR's...I believe that is correct.

You would be able to use your HKS intake...but I believe you would have to wait for the TUNING SOFTWARE for the Evo AP to be launched so you can get a custom tune.

Now I may wrong here ...so someone else should chime in...or just call COBB and ask.

I'll tell you this though...if you want anything COBB call IA Performance in Tucson Az and talk to Gabe or Stephen....I'm pretty sure they are still offering free shipping for COBB related parts!!!
Old Dec 5, 2007, 12:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Evo's calculate everything (fuel, ignition, and boost) off of the readings from the MAF sensor. Your MAF sensor is calibrated for a very specific sized MAF housing and flow patter across the sensor. If you change anything before or after the MAF sensor or change the housing itself it can cause the MAF sensor to read inaccurately. This can cause your car to richen up, lean out, run more or less boost, etc. If the intake is a good design, it is possible to recalibrate your MAF sensor to read properly in the new housing. This is where custom tuning comes in.

The COBB intake uses the same size housing and utilizes air straighteners to maintain consistent air flow across the MAF sensor. It will not change the tune on the vehicle. Keep in mind that the stock airbox is not a big restriction until you start to make a lot of power. So you would see minor gains in power by swapping it out with an aftermarket intake.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 05:12 AM
Evolving Member

so you're saying that I would be ok to get the AP, even though I have the HKS RS?
Old Dec 6, 2007, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by turbo271
so you're saying that I would be ok to get the AP, even though I have the HKS RS?
The AccessPORT is loaded with base maps you can load....I think what we're trying to say is your intake is not kosher with COBB's base maps....you can run it...but you will have to wait until COBB's Tuner Software comes out...then it won't matter what intake you have cause you can get a custom tune using the AP

If I'm not right can someone please update him and me
Old Dec 6, 2007, 10:58 AM
Evolving Member

CPA5 - Sounds about right.

turbo271 - You might have some issues using the HKS RS with just the AP maps. Remember cobb bases the map using there own product. Using other products can cause it to work different. You can get the AP and protune it once it is released but you'll be spending over a $G.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 08:16 AM
Evolving Member

awh ight
Old Dec 15, 2007, 10:17 PM
Evolving Member

Over 1g for custom tune?...
Old Dec 16, 2007, 11:11 AM
CDO
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dorikun
Over 1g for custom tune?...
When you add in the cost of the AP he means. Get your car custom tuned and don't buy the AP and it's $695 less.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

it's not 1K for a custom tune....yes the AP costs $695.....but I view it that I paid $695 to get a few features that have nothing to do with tuning....like eliminating a lap top in my car to switch maps with, viewing engine codes and clearing some, viewing a decent set of live data parameters (eliminating some gauges), and viewing the 0-60 & 1/4 mile stuff (which I did once...0-60 in 2 sec....just joking )......

anywho if you buy the AP yes it costs 695 and a custom tune is on top of that...but you also get other things that have nothing to do with tuning that to me offset that 695 a little and lower that cost.....once again that is how I think of it
Old Dec 17, 2007, 10:50 PM
Evolving Member

CPA5 - Did you ask santa for the cobb intake?
Old Dec 18, 2007, 05:21 AM
Evolving Member

That's all great guys. I have a nother question now that is a little off topic:

Can you use the stage 2 if you have a downpipe and catback with the stock cat, or do you have to have a full turboback (test pipe)?
Old Dec 18, 2007, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

That's all great guys. I have a nother question now that is a little off topic:

Can you use the stage 2 if you have a downpipe and catback with the stock cat, or do you have to have a full turboback (test pipe)?
That is a great question....I would definitely call the COBB guys and ask that.

my assumption would be that it would be compatible with stage 2....but don't listen to me

And NO....unfortunately Santa is not bringing my COBB intake....he had to bring the WIFEY a new COACH purse

IX LIVES...OUT
Old Dec 18, 2007, 08:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CPA5
And NO....unfortunately Santa is not bringing my COBB intake....he had to bring the WIFEY a new COACH purse

IX LIVES...OUT
HOLY ****E!!!!!!!!!!
Me too, and damn the women wanting such expensive things.

I mean, all I want is an AccessPort with custom tuning. Its not that expensive.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 08:40 AM
Former Sponsor

The stock cat on an Evo is actually pretty good. You should be able to use the Stage 2 mapping. You'll just be down a little bit on power and possibly down a bit of boost because of the small exhaust restriction. There is also the possibility that your EGTs will be higher if you were to drive the car very aggressively (i.e. track driving, high speed run, anything where you are in boost for a looooong time).

So the recommended set up would be a full turbo-back exhaust with a high flow cat or test pipe for Stage 2, but you should be ok with the stock cat on Stage 2 mapping.

Quick Reply: COBB Intake Only?