Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Variable Geomeetry Turbo on EVO?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2007, 10:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Variable Geomeetry Turbo on EVO?

Is there anyone here who try to find a VGT model that fit on our car?
Old Dec 9, 2007, 11:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The expense would be outrageous. You would have to design a control system for the turbine vanes as well and the cost would out weigh the gains.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 06:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Additionally, VGT turbos are still, as far as I know, not quite advanced enough to handle the higher EGT's of gasoline engines, since they have mostly been used on diesel applications so far. I think within the next couple years the vane materials will get more durable and be usable for gas applications. Porsche actually just released a twin VGT turbo gas powered car but they had to do all their own R&D on the turbo technology to handle the heat.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 04:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^Eh? The Porsche 997 Turbo uses VGT, so I think the VGT would be Ok for our Jap taxis, however getting a turbo for a decent price might be more tricky.

One of the guys on the Mitsubishi Lancer register was looking in to this, the boost control is done by varying the pressure supplied to the vane actuator, so some kind of solenoid setup should do. The main trick would be sourcing a turbo with the correct characteristics and getting it to fit.

MB

Last edited by burgers22; Dec 17, 2007 at 04:35 AM.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 05:08 AM
Evolved Member

Actually these were first used on little Dodge Omni's if memory serves.

We run VNT on the rally car as it's stock on the VW TDI as well as most modern diesels. We have seen rather high EGTs in the 1500+ deg f range under race conditions without ever having one VNT failure. As a matter of fact I can't recall ever seeing any heat related problems with VNT but have seen them sooted up and jammed but those are on customer cars who tend to baby their TDIs way too much.

I don't know if many folks would ever get the EGTs high enough long enough in a street car to melt anything but folks who track may run into some problems. The big upside is that with Porsche now putting VNT turbos on their cars you can be sure that the technology WILL stand up to the abuse as they simply won't install it if it will not stand up to the rigors of open track beatings.

As for control, its honestly not as bad as you may think. I've floated the idea of testing some VNT turbos on the Buschur boards but nobody has snapped up on it yet. I would be happy to get some of the folks from the diesel community who specialize in such things to lend a hand to folks who wanted to make this work on a 4G63, just gotta find the right folks with the time and motivation.

As for the right turbos, I think that Garrett makes VNT versions of their turbos up through 35 series and larger. I also know they are touting the use of VNT in gasoline powered performance applications.

In short I think the variable geometry turbos could be a true god send to the Evo community and think there is a good chance that in a year or so with some work we could be seeing turbos that spool like a Green but blow on the top end as well as a 35R. Maybe better.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 02:49 PM
Evolving Member

There was a company trying to make aftermarket turbo kit with this type a while back (90s). I think they were called Aerodyne system.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
VNTs are very well developed for the diesel market and just being developed for gasoline. Borg Warner makes the turbos for the 911 turbo. They're too small for anything though, unless you use both of them.

There are a couple 240sx guys that have used VNTs off of the diesel Powerstrokes for tens of thousands of miles. They seem to hold up for short bursts but I wouldn't push them too hot for too long.

The control system for the actuator for the vanes is quite simple. Heck, the stock ecu can probably be hacked to control it (instead of the boost solenoid).
Old Dec 18, 2007, 09:33 PM
Evolving Member

That's interesting, no joke, I thought about this before the new Porche was released but I figured, "yea, right, a mod like this"? Would be awsome to see if someone could pull it off.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 09:40 PM
Evolving Member

just need to find a wrecked car... good luck getting it out... need to drop the whole motor out probably... idk
Old Dec 27, 2007, 08:24 PM

The benefits wouldnt justify the money and headaches necessary to make one work
Old Jan 30, 2024, 12:28 PM

You know that diesels produce quite a bit more heat than gasoline engines, right?
Old Jan 30, 2024, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 142 Likes on 127 Posts
holy thread revival, like how did you even find this..
Old Jan 30, 2024, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by RobbieOh
holy thread revival, like how did you even find this..
Awesome. I love it. Hahahha.

Sooooo, anyone got any VGT updates?
Old Jan 31, 2024, 09:38 PM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by dragonspeed
You know that diesels produce quite a bit more heat than gasoline engines, right?
Diesel runs around 600-700 degrees less EGT. Thats why its so prevalent on diesels but not gas vehicles.