Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Question about extending wires for LC-1

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2007, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about extending wires for LC-1

From reading the board I noticed the the wires from the LC-1 are somewhat short?

Can I extend any of the wire from the LC-1 using any regular 18G wire from the auto parts store?
In addition, If I where to wire all the wires to the engine block, I would like to bring a wire from the engine bay into the cabin behind the firewall and use some sort of connecting block to connect my wires. like this - or some fort of plug... thing of a USB port used only for ground..

So my questions are

1)if I need to extend my wires what gauge can I use (18G ok?) and how long can I extend

2)can I use a plug to solder all the ground together and connect them to a wire that goes to the engine bay.

3)What think does the engine bay ground wire need to be?
Old Dec 26, 2007, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

no one knows?
Old Dec 26, 2007, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Just curious why are you needing to extend the wires? Most of the people I know myself included run the lc1 and neither of us had to extend the wires
Old Dec 26, 2007, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

well if yours grounded to the block?
also, what about the wire for the light and switch?

Last edited by Profoxcg; Dec 26, 2007 at 07:30 PM.
Old Dec 26, 2007, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

no mine is not grounded to the block. I have never had any issues with it. The led and calibration button are not grounded there either. All the those grounds are to the same ground point but not all the wires into one single ground
Old Dec 27, 2007, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I grounded the system and heater grounds behind the dash and the calibration switch under the console. No issues. I have other items grounded in the same location and have no problems with any devices. I've also got a coil of cable for the serial connection left over and wrapped up beneath the console.
Old Dec 27, 2007, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TouringBubble
I grounded the system and heater grounds behind the dash and the calibration switch under the console. No issues. I have other items grounded in the same location and have no problems with any devices. I've also got a coil of cable for the serial connection left over and wrapped up beneath the console.
where behind the dash did you ground? - the thing the concerns me if that the ECU is grounded the the engine block? (this is based on some post i've read) - is this true?

and if I am going to datalog with my laptop and also with logworks at the same time, then my "devices" (ecu and wideband) will have different ground and thus I may have issues with ground offsets?
Old Dec 27, 2007, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
mines fine, ground to something on your car generally means your entire Metal frame and any metal components touching it. If you get out of your car and your door shocks you, you might wanna find a better ground for something.
Old Dec 27, 2007, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Quote form their online installation manual

1. The BEST grounding scheme is all grounds (i.e., ECU, Gauges, LC1 heater, LC1system, etc.) SOLDERED into a single lug and bolted to the engine block.
2. The next best is all grounds attached to the same source, as close as possible, but on separate lugs. This is because even the corrosion between lugs can create ground offset and noise. Incidentally, this is why many ECUs have separate ground wires for injectors vs. ECU system ground- separating high voltages and low voltages reduces noise.
3.Grounding to the engine block is usually better than grounding to the frame.
I dunno what to think anymore.
Old Dec 27, 2007, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Profoxcg
I dunno what to think anymore.
Dude, you keep reading that manual and you'll go nuts. What i did was, i removed my center console and lifted the carpet a bit on the driver side closest to the gas pedal. There you'll see a metal frame where your console attrach to and about 2 or 3 bolt heads, you could use those for your ground. They are the same source and pretty close to one another. That's where i grounded mine and everything works fine. Now the ground for the calibration button is not as critical as the other ones, so you could just ground that anywhere. Just make sure you get some good terminal and solder the wires good.
Old Dec 27, 2007, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mievoIX
Dude, you keep reading that manual and you'll go nuts. What i did was, i removed my center console and lifted the carpet a bit on the driver side closest to the gas pedal. There you'll see a metal frame where your console attrach to and about 2 or 3 bolt heads, you could use those for your ground. They are the same source and pretty close to one another. That's where i grounded mine and everything works fine. Now the ground for the calibration button is not as critical as the other ones, so you could just ground that anywhere. Just make sure you get some good terminal and solder the wires good.
lol, yeah I am almost nuts from reading it haha. sounds good though thanks.
Old Dec 28, 2007, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I used a stud I found behind the glovebox area. I believe it is used to mount the ECU itself. I have my sequential shift light, turbo timer and WB02 grounded to the same location with no ill effects.