Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

What the HELL should I do for tunning?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2007, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What the HELL should I do for tunning?

I have a 05 MR with all the Buschar stage 4 upgrades and a stock mail flashed ecu. i am going to get the 20G-LT kit from Buschar as a final mod for this year. I love NON-SALESDRIVEN advice so I asked the local autox boys what tunner they recomended, the said PDX in Portland 3 hours away. PDX said get the Cobb AP so I did. then talking to other locals on the board one knowledagble local with 1500 + posts said to go to Englishracing.com instead and get a road tune with my stock ECU and sell the COBB because the English dude is a true Evo guy and the tunners at PDXtunning are admitatly STI guys.

The one reason I bought the COBB was so I could run a ALC map and switch the ALC on or off and change maps. I also was hoping they COBB would come out with no lift shift like they have on the STI AP, has anyone heard if this will happen?

What should I do STI Pro tunner on a Dyno with COBB AP or EVO tunner road tune for half the price with the stock ECU.
Old Dec 27, 2007, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

First, they are so many benefits to the COBB AP.....which Im sure since you bought it you already know that.......obviously English Racing is a great set of guys....their work speaks for itself....just ask Ifarted2 (Paul) who has had ER set up all his ETS stuff.....

But If COBB has this PDX company set up as one of their protuners for the AP then Im sure they are not IDIOTS.....why don't you do this...

1. Call cobb and tell them your concern with the potential protuner in your area and ask for their opinion of PDX's competence to tune an evo

2. Call and talk to the tuner themselves and tell them your concern...get a good feel for them....ask for information on other evos they may have tuned to get an idea for what they can do

All in all...I go to a company who started out specializing in Subies too...but they have done a great job tuning evos over the past 2 years also......plus....the biggest thing is that once someone knows how to tune a car....there are only a few different nuances they would have to adapt to from one car to another....and most of those differences Im sure are spelled out in the COBB tuning software so they will know what to do.

Now if PDX told you to buy the cobb ap and have never tuned an evo....then I hate to say it but you should of known what type of waters you were jumping into before you jumped!

Good luck

Last edited by CPA5; Dec 28, 2007 at 07:03 AM.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by adrynalinjunkie
I have a 05 MR with all the Buschar stage 4 upgrades and a stock mail flashed ecu. i am going to get the 20G-LT kit from Buschar as a final mod for this year. I love NON-SALESDRIVEN advice so I asked the local autox boys what tunner they recomended, the said PDX in Portland 3 hours away. PDX said get the Cobb AP so I did. then talking to other locals on the board one knowledagble local with 1500 + posts said to go to Englishracing.com instead and get a road tune with my stock ECU and sell the COBB because the English dude is a true Evo guy and the tunners at PDXtunning are admitatly STI guys.

The one reason I bought the COBB was so I could run a ALC map and switch the ALC on or off and change maps. I also was hoping they COBB would come out with no lift shift like they have on the STI AP, has anyone heard if this will happen?

What should I do STI Pro tunner on a Dyno with COBB AP or EVO tunner road tune for half the price with the stock ECU.
Any updates on this? I know there's many people curious as well as I am. Did you call COBB tuning? Please give us some updates. Thank you