Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Worth a tune?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2008, 01:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Worth a tune?

Hey all, I've searched about tuning setup's and when they should be done but can't find an answer on this. If there is a post, please link me.

I have a 06 IX SE.
Car is completely stock, and I've purchased a few things, nothing major but things to get it started.

First off, a Greddy Boost Gauge, steering wheel mount, K&N short ram with cf shield, AP MBC, AP Titanium catback.

My question is, even with this catback on this car, since I haven't purchased a dp or testpipe, would it be worth my time,money,effort to get this tuned even with a catback? I'm def going to be getting the dp,test in order to complete my tbe. It's not going to be asap, nor like 2 mnths down the line. I'm just asking, if i could be set ok without a tune. It's also my daily driver, about 100miles a day to and from.
I'd like to get everyone opinion about this issue. The closest tuner would be TTP for me, it's about 3 1/2 hours away.

Thanks all
Mark
Old Jan 11, 2008, 01:53 PM

I would say no imo. I would get a DP and test pipe/hfc and even possibly get cams before getting tuned. Make the tune worth your while.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 02:58 PM
Evolving Member

I would prefer at this time to stay all bolt on's and not touch the cams and would prefer no meth yet either. But from what I read, without doing anything major, I'd only get like 330-340hp. So idk.

Do IC piping make a difference on stock IC?
Old Jan 11, 2008, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

It really all depends. If I were in your shoes, and it was going to be like 6 months or so before I add more parts. I would want a tune to get the most of what I have at the moment.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 03:38 PM
Evolving Member

I was going to get a tune within a month. That's why I'm trying to decide if I should just wait on it, or rush and get it tuned. I just don't have the money to finish the tbe at this moment. *shakes fist!*
Old Jan 11, 2008, 03:38 PM
Evolving Member

Oh, and I happened to get the ARC Titanium UICP from my friend too, if that REALLY makes that big of a difference for tune.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 07:39 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ColdEvolution8
Hey all, I've searched about tuning setup's and when they should be done but can't find an answer on this. If there is a post, please link me.

I have a 06 IX SE.
Car is completely stock, and I've purchased a few things, nothing major but things to get it started.

First off, a Greddy Boost Gauge, steering wheel mount, K&N short ram with cf shield, AP MBC, AP Titanium catback.

My question is, even with this catback on this car, since I haven't purchased a dp or testpipe, would it be worth my time,money,effort to get this tuned even with a catback? I'm def going to be getting the dp,test in order to complete my tbe. It's not going to be asap, nor like 2 mnths down the line. I'm just asking, if i could be set ok without a tune. It's also my daily driver, about 100miles a day to and from.
I'd like to get everyone opinion about this issue. The closest tuner would be TTP for me, it's about 3 1/2 hours away.

Thanks all
Mark
Thank you for taking us into consideration. We would be happy to tune your Evolution. I would suggest however a downpipe and testpipe with Forge UNOS manual boost controller and optional walbro fuel pump for maximum effectiveness of the custom ecu reflash tune. Major whp and tq gains would be achieved with these modifications in conjunction with the reflash tune.

We have these parts in stock and can install them on site at the time of the custom tune.

Send us a PM if you have any questions.

Thanks
TTP
Old Jan 11, 2008, 09:43 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks TTP. I'm not just saying I'd go to you guys because you're the closest. I've heard good stories from a few of my friends that happened to have their cars tune by you.

With the option of the fuel pump, what would the max hp tq difference if I did, or didn't go with the pump? I'm just trying to get an idea if it's worth it or not.

I wish I knew about the UNOS MBC, I ended up just purchasing a Agency Power one. :/
Old Jan 11, 2008, 10:37 PM
Evolving Member

I might end up just waiting and having you install a few items too. Possibly a boost gauge if I get that lazy lol.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 10:46 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is no power difference. Only a matter of extra safety for high boost and upper rpm flow. I haven't seen an agency power MBC, but if it is ball and spring it might work ok.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 11:43 PM
Evolving Member

Great thread, I'm surprised by the responses because people here always encourage stock evo owners to get a tune. If it's going to be over 6 months until you get the whole tbe, I say get a tune now, especially given your 100 mile daily commute.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 12:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is what I would do:
If I was in a cash crisis, I would sell the ARC UICP, and get the DP and TP and the tune. IMO the tune is necessary as it is a DD and can't take any chances.
...but thats just me.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 08:17 AM
Evolving Member

Great thoughts from everyone, thank you!

I possibly might sell the pipe, but idk who'd buy it, it is expensive

TTP how packed in your schedule for street tune, and or installing parts?
I might end up setting up an appointment asap but trying to figure out when I'm able to hike up there.

If with everything done, and I have the correct parts for a "stage 1 setup" what's the power outcome expected on a IX? And what's the max psi you can bump in order to still have a reliable DD with max hp output?
Old Jan 12, 2008, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I first got my car tuned I only had a CBE, MBC, and drop-in. The car made right around 300whp. So yes, you will see gains if you get tuned with those mods. Adding a DP and TP will get you into the 330 whp range.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 08:42 AM
Evolving Member

Oh wow, that much?! That's pretty good. I'm also debating on doing cams too. Not sure which company is the best with pro's con's of them but idk.

I'm still learning the difference between the264 272 280's I know that it gives great power difference and I love the sound of the lope. Anyone give me feedback on a stock turbo with most likely a stage 1 setup.

Quick Reply: Worth a tune?