Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Problems with Access Port

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2008, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CaliMR
Any update?

I have the exact same problem, had local tuner check for leaks, have the tube they sent but have not had time to install it. I did try pulling out the pills in the stock tube, made no real difference.
The reason why just pulling out the one pill in your stock line won't necessarily work is because most STATES/ELEVATION will require the main BOOST PILL to me modded as well....usually means drilling a smaller hole in the main pill.

Bro....do yourself a favor just put on the line that cobb sent you....it should for all intensive purposes WORK
Old Mar 28, 2008, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
I am going to put it on when I have some time, but I still think they should have disclosed it.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

I am going to put it on when I have some time, but I still think they should have disclosed it.
100% no doubt I agree.....we all know what assuming does
Old Mar 31, 2008, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
They state "Requires no tools or mechanical knowledge to install"

I guess it was my bad in assuming "install" mean "install and actually work" lol

Anyways, I am going to keep quite now until I get the hose on and see what results follow
Old Mar 31, 2008, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

They state "Requires no tools or mechanical knowledge to install"

I guess it was my bad in assuming "install" mean "install and actually work" lol

Anyways, I am going to keep quite now until I get the hose on and see what results follow
Just to clarify......It wasn't YOUR BAD.....I think it was COBB's issue of just assuming everyone was using MBC's
Old Apr 9, 2008, 01:09 PM

Unfortunately, I already paid for the thing so I want it to work. I am a bit miffed still that Cobb did not mention the tube swapping on their site when they started selling it.

For the record, I just looked at their site and it says and I quote "Easy installation, no mechanical or computer skills necessary"

I suppose removing the radiator shroud or whatever to get to the hose is what they mean by no mechanical skills necessary.

Also, the whole "on the fly" thing seems a bit misleading, but whatever.

I just want the darn thing to work.

EDIT: I looked at the website again, and it says "Requires no tools or mechanical knowledge to install." I looked through the install pdf too, and I did not see any mention of the hoses.
I do understand what you are saying though. They shouldnt post that if you have to do all that to put the vac lines on. You should try it yourself though i did it in like 10 mins and didnt remove none of the shroud. Only thing i took off is the a section of i/c pipe and then intake
Old May 11, 2008, 05:25 AM
Evolving Member

Accessport and tbe installed

Just did my AccessPort and Turboback exhaust.

Due to this thread, prior to the upgrade, went out and tried to max the boost. Max boost 1.2 bar (very brief), sustained 1.0 bar.

After the upgrade (Accessport only), max 1.1 bar, sustained 1.0 bar (but the car "seemed" a little more responsive, boost came on easier).

After turboback exhaust, and stage 2 reflash (unable to do the realtime due to "configuration" problem), the car was a much more responsive vehicle. Boost max 1.25 bar, sustained 1.1 bar.

Idle is a lot lower though, and the engine has died a time or two.

Shawn
Old May 11, 2008, 09:53 AM
CDO
Evolving Member

Shawn,
Were these boost levels in top gear? They all look low if that's the case.
Old May 11, 2008, 11:40 AM
Evolving Member

No, third and fourth. Didn't try to get boost in top gear. VERY difficult to get on the street here in Lynchburg. Didn't consider the expressways, though. Hmm.

I mistakenly thought that boost would max out about third and fourth full throttle. Admittedly NEVER looked at my boost gauge during track days.

Shawn
Old May 11, 2008, 07:21 PM
CDO
Evolving Member

You have an VIII and I have a IX so my boost would probably read a little higher, but I had my kids watch today as I accelerated from a dead stop. 1st-3rd gears (peak boost) were 1.2, 1.3, 1.4. 6th gear for me (starting at 3k rpm) is usually ~1.5. I don't remember what they drop to.
Old May 19, 2008, 06:18 PM
Evolving Member

wow, after reading all this i dont think i'll be getting the COBBOB!!!
Old May 20, 2008, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bunni34
wow, after reading all this i dont think i'll be getting the COBBOB!!!
Nothing like making that statement your first post
Old May 20, 2008, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CPA5
Nothing like making that statement your first post
yeah i know sorry, i was just excited when it came out for my Z as well. then i realized what?? only 1-2 HP and TQ? Sup with that?

But when my GF got the EVO i was pretty impressed at the Numbers until i kept reading about it, and the horror stories.
Old May 21, 2008, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bunni34
yeah i know sorry, i was just excited when it came out for my Z as well. then i realized what?? only 1-2 HP and TQ? Sup with that?

But when my GF got the EVO i was pretty impressed at the Numbers until i kept reading about it, and the horror stories.
The only horror stories with the AP are from people who didn't take the time to do ALL the research ahead of time before installing the AP.....now I also would say COBB was a little at fault for ASSUMING that everyone was running MBC in the evos....if they would have done a better job of having all BUYERS qualified before they purchased to find out who would use MBC/EBC vs. letting the ECU control boost you would have seen ZERO issues.....of course there were a few minor mishaps with the 93oct base map from cobb that was loaded...but COBB's customer service took care of that for the guys who experienced the problem very fast.

Apart from that the AP for the EVO is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!

If all you want is base maps....they are GREAT.... if you want to get PRO-TUNED...even better. The owner/tuner of IA Performance told me after tuning my car that the COBB tuning software is WAAAAAAAYYYYYYY more in depth than what ECUflash offers making it safer and easier to do a tune......

I hope that clears up any issues
Old May 21, 2008, 09:16 AM

Hey CPA5, is there anything with the 93 Oct maps that I need to be aware/on the look out? I ask because I just purchased the AP and am planning on using the 93 Oct map(s).

Originally Posted by CPA5
The only horror stories with the AP are from people who didn't take the time to do .....of course there were a few minor mishaps with the 93oct base map from cobb that was loaded...but COBB's customer service took care of that for the guys who experienced the problem very fast.

Quick Reply: Problems with Access Port