Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Problems with Access Port

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2008, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by artisticspawn
Hey CPA5, is there anything with the 93 Oct maps that I need to be aware/on the look out? I ask because I just purchased the AP and am planning on using the 93 Oct map(s).
I would assume if your AP is new that it came loaded with the update.

The problem was that the idle was too low on the STG2 93oct map.....but that was back in like Jan/Feb. time.

Your best bet would be to call cobb and tell them the SN# of your AP and see if they would know if it indeed got loaded with updated version.

If not I think it is download-able from the website.......but you'll know cause it will idle low

You could PM (THE EVOLUTIONER) he dealt with this issue and I think he has map he could email....at last resort
Old May 22, 2008, 11:23 AM
Evolving Member

Last time I checked Cobb's website it has the updated map to fix the low idle issue on the 93 octane stage 2. Another issue with a few AP owners is a boost cut issue during high RPMs at 4-5-6 gear. They have send me 2 maps and it is still occuring. I think this issue is only going to be resolved with a pro-tune. I plan to get a tune next month with turbotrix. Only problem is they dont have to pro software but they still can tune the AP. Just not to sure what they can and can without the software.
Old May 22, 2008, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TheEvolutioner
Last time I checked Cobb's website it has the updated map to fix the low idle issue on the 93 octane stage 2. Another issue with a few AP owners is a boost cut issue during high RPMs at 4-5-6 gear. They have send me 2 maps and it is still occuring. I think this issue is only going to be resolved with a pro-tune. I plan to get a tune next month with turbotrix. Only problem is they dont have to pro software but they still can tune the AP. Just not to sure what they can and can without the software.
Jason,,

How is TT going to tune the AP without the specific software....did they tell you?

Also, you should call/email stephen at IA....I would bet he could help right away with that boost cut issue.....he has all the maps he made for my car saved....he may be able to tweek those maps (based on a 93oct) and email you out a better custom tune......but I am just speculating.....it may be worth the call though.

good luck
Old May 23, 2008, 05:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CPA5
Jason,,

How is TT going to tune the AP without the specific software....did they tell you?

Also, you should call/email stephen at IA....I would bet he could help right away with that boost cut issue.....he has all the maps he made for my car saved....he may be able to tweek those maps (based on a 93oct) and email you out a better custom tune......but I am just speculating.....it may be worth the call though.

good luck
I've been IMing TT about it and they never replied back as to how they will do it, so im not sure. Ima call them today. If that doesnt work then ill def call Stephen, i bought all my cobb stuff from him , so I know he'll hook it up.
Old May 23, 2008, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

I'm just a bit skeptical of anyone who doesn't have the specific COBB software saying they can custom tune the AP
Old May 27, 2008, 03:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would be very cautious of someone tuning the AP with something other than our AccessTuner-Pro software. They may just turn your AP into a paperweight.
Old May 29, 2008, 05:37 AM
Evolving Member

I've contacted TT and they can not tune the AP since they dont have the software. But what they told me is they can tune it the old fashion way and load the custom map in the AP. I'm thinking about doing it since i just dont have patience anymore.

Also, I recently installed the ETS LICP and the boost cut is no more.
Old May 29, 2008, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

I've contacted TT and they can not tune the AP since they dont have the software. But what they told me is they can tune it the old fashion way and load the custom map in the AP. I'm thinking about doing it since i just dont have patience anymore.

Are we sure they can even do that???

According to what I know and have seen there are specific COBB attachments and specific COBB processes that have to happen just to open up the AP to load a custom map.....Jason...I think those guys are full of crap and are feeding you a line....once you go there they will try to convince you to ditch the AP and just use OPEN SOURCE.....

just my thinking on it

Last edited by CPA5; May 29, 2008 at 08:05 AM.
Old May 29, 2008, 08:29 AM
Evolving Member

According to what I know and have seen there are specific COBB attachments and specific COBB processes that have to happen just to open up the AP to load a custom map.....Jason...I think those guys are full of crap and are feeding you a line....once you go there they will try to convince you to ditch the AP and just use OPEN SOURCE.....

just my thinking on it
I was thinking the same thing, you are correct. Main reason for getting it tuned so quickly was because of the boost cut issue but that disappeared once i installed the LICP. How it fixed it, i have no idea.

Robb @ Cobb, your thoughts on this???????? Can they custom tune my car with open source and add it to the AP as a map?
Old May 29, 2008, 08:43 AM
CDO
Evolving Member

just my thinking on it
If it's so difficult to access the AccessPort (LOL) why don't auto manufacturers do the same thing and keep people like Cobb out of their stuff?
Old May 29, 2008, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CDO
If it's so difficult to access the AccessPort (LOL) why don't auto manufacturers do the same thing and keep people like Cobb out of their stuff?
let me explain...........

the aftermarket industry is a multi billion dollar enterprise.....and on the surface you'd never hear of it and no one will say it.....but in the underground where the corporate monkeys turn the wheels and watch the cash roll in...that is where deals are made in secret.........these Manufacturers get kick backs and other odds and ends as bennies for every car they produce that the aftermarket bleeds for...think about it..
Old May 29, 2008, 12:14 PM
CDO
Evolving Member

Auto manufacturers might make money indirectly from the aftermarket for several reasons (replacing people's blown engines and transmissions for one), but I'm sure they also get stuck repairing many of them under warranty.

I can see them also losing sales because of the aftermarket. Manufacturers tend to bump up hp on the next year car to stimulate people into trading in for the newest and fastest. They probably lose that when they bump it up 10 hp when the aftermarket gives you 50 hp for a lot less cost (depreciation).

If you're talking about actual kickbacks (Cobb hands over an envelope every month to a guy in a Mitsubishi hat, well I've never heard that one before.

I think they like the aftermarket because it generates enthusiasm, but to the point of making it easy for them to tinker with the ecu?
Old May 29, 2008, 01:26 PM
Evolving Member

Unless they have our software or using another tuner's, they cannot load open source or any other tuning software's generated maps onto the AP.

Our AccessTuner-Pro software is currently on the market. Tuners are more than welcome to inquire about purchasing the AccessTuner-Pro.

If your ECU was responding to boost spikes by cutting power and no longer does so do to the LICP, I would suspect anything from weather to a boost leak.

Rob
Old May 29, 2008, 01:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CDO
They do
Old May 30, 2008, 05:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Rob@cobbtuning
Unless they have our software or using another tuner's, they cannot load open source or any other tuning software's generated maps onto the AP.

Our AccessTuner-Pro software is currently on the market. Tuners are more than welcome to inquire about purchasing the AccessTuner-Pro.

If your ECU was responding to boost spikes by cutting power and no longer does so do to the LICP, I would suspect anything from weather to a boost leak.

Rob
Rob, you are absolutely correct, I beleive the boost spike was due to a boost leak at the coupler that connects the LICP to IC.

Quick Reply: Problems with Access Port