Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Problems with Access Port

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2008, 12:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems with Access Port

Ok, so I got my AP and installed it and noticed I was under-boosting. I was holding 1.2 kg/cm2 stock, and with the ap, just about 1.1. So I called Cobb to get the new vacuum lines sent to me and paid $36 to have them overnighted because I was sick of waiting. I got them the next day and spent a few hours carefully installing the new lines, and I was stoked to see what my car would do. Then I go drive it, and Im hitting the exact same boost. So I uninstall the AP and find that I am now holding 1.25 kg/cm2. What the heck is going on here? Im pretty sure I dont have any boost leaks... I made a tester, but if I did have a leak, than why would I boost more after returning to stock ecu maps??
I called Cobb again 10 days ago, and they said they may have sent me the wrong hose, so I am waiting on the new one, but I think there was a shipping mix up. But anyway, how would a new hose help, if the current one is causing me to boost less than with the stock ecu map?
I am going to call cobb on tuesday to try and get that hose sent again. I must comment thought, Every single person I have dealt with at Cobb as been cool as heck, and very helpful. They definately have the best customer service I have ever dealt with.... so to Cobb. Im sure Ill get this all worked out and love my AP, but I was just posting this to maybe get some feedback on what may be going on with my car? Ill probably do a boost leak test soon just to rule that out, but the fact that I boost more with the stock map than with the Cobb map with the same vac line configuration makes me doubt that is the problem.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 01:12 AM
Evolving Member

Okay, now this is getting interesting, I hope Chris@Cobb is reading these posts these days... from what you are saying above and from what I gather in addition to having flipped through the EVO restrictor pill guide... You can NOT actually just switch maps with the AccessPort it is the single most horrible misnomer about the AccessPort. You are making a mechanical change in addition to a computer change, it just doesn't make any sense. I'm currently in the process of PM'ing Chris@Cobb to get some lines or what ever I need sent to me because I'm waiting on my AccessPort at the moment. This seems to be some fustrating hogwash on the consumer portion with this device. I like the concept but once you get into it... you can't just flish flash and bam you're in stock mode... that's bs... not with removing restrictor pills. Those things help monitor waste gate duty cycle if my recollection serves me right. You mess with that and flip back to stock do you seriously expect the car to run stock again? Has anyone verified that yet? I haven't read a post from anyone saying they can flip back to stock with no problems yet.
Aside... does the stock mod map not raise boost? If so maybe that's why you are not experiencing additional boost... maybe this deal with the restictor pills is a lesson in itself... I don't think anyone should have to do this mod if they are stock it sounds like a horrible quick fix to someone who doesn't have a manual boost controller.(Of which I don't have cause I didn't think I needed it).
Old Jan 21, 2008, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

In my estimation and my 2 cents....you would really only flip back to stock if you were going to the dealer and don't want them to think you've changed anything on the ecu which would be reason to void a warranty.

With that said....if you switch back to stock settings and and don't put back on the stock hoses...just don't get into boost on the drive to and from the dealer..and I think you'd be fine then just leaving in the COBB line or if you just took out the 2nd pill, leave it out.

Then while its at the dealer....make darn sure no idiots are joy riding in your car boosting the heck out of it.

The dealer, if they even check to see what the stock readings are, which I doubt, would see the stock settings, and the boost hose line from cobb will look stock so they wouldn't be yanking that out to check it...hence you should be fine........

this all assumes the perfect trip to the dealer!!!

If you're not going to take the car to the dealer then why in the heck would you resort back to stock settings?....maybe for the Smog test....but other than that it makes no sense to switch back anyhow.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 05:43 PM
Former Sponsor

morgo333 -

Sorry about the mix up, give me a call tomorrow or email me and I'll get you a new restrictor pill sent out. I would assume when you were told a "new hose" what they meant was they were going to send you a new hose with a different sized restrictor pill in it. Not every car and not every turbo is the same so sometimes we have to get a custom sized restritor pill to achieve a target boost pressure.

The reason we supply the whole hose assembly is so that it's a little easier to install and so that you can keep your stock vacuum lines. That way you can return your car back to stock if you ever need to.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 11:44 PM
Evolving Member

exactly CPA5 because of smog testing, they always run the OBDII check on that bish. Who knows, they might just flash it right before your eyes back to stock.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dorikun
exactly CPA5 because of smog testing, they always run the OBDII check on that bish. Who knows, they might just flash it right before your eyes back to stock.
When you say "they would flash it back to stock"...who are you referring to...the dealer...or people at the DMV appointed who tests if the car is smog legal or not?
Old Jan 23, 2008, 08:58 AM
Evolving Member

Both, not with this car but with other cars that I have had in the past. The OBDII check device they use... oh yea... DMV nor smog testers won't and can't (by law)flash your ecu... but I was referring to the dealer when I posted that. Dealer could [I]if[I] they were running a smog test, but that wouldn't happen more than likely.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 04:26 PM
Evolving Member

Any updates? I'm curious because I just talked to Cobb yesterday and I have lines for myself coming out right now as I'm not hitting enough boost.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 01:39 PM

Hey guys, sorry for the huge delay in updating the situation.... School just started and Im taking 17 units and doing lots of volunteer work, so Ive been busy as heck. Anyway, I lagged on it, but finally called Cobb again last week and talked to Chris. He sent me out a new portion of the hose that contains the restrictor pill, as well as a different restrictor pill to switch out if a change is still needed. It was supposed to be sent out on Monday, but I still have not received it. Im kind of bummed cause I only have time on the weekends, but maybe Ill find some time and install it when I get it, assuming that is early next week. As soon as I have results, I will be sure to post them. I cant wait to see what this thing can do once Im at full potential, and not 1.1 bar anymore.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 09:42 PM

Well, I still have not recieved a thing from cobb. Im going to try and find some time and call them up tomorrow. I am almost thinking of just returning this thing, or selling it. I really dont know if it will be worth all of this freaking hassle.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 10:40 PM
CDO
Evolving Member

Morgo,
You said you were hitting 1.2 when your car was stock. Was that in the lower gears because you should've been able to hit 1.4 in 6th gear when in the lower rpm's.

Hopefully everything will work out for you in the end.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 12:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Any update?

I have the exact same problem, had local tuner check for leaks, have the tube they sent but have not had time to install it. I did try pulling out the pills in the stock tube, made no real difference.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 12:29 AM
Evolving Member

AP sucks. just go get a cable and ecuflash and you'll be good to go. . espcially with tephra's new rom.. my car's the sh*t now
Old Mar 28, 2008, 12:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Unfortunately, I already paid for the thing so I want it to work. I am a bit miffed still that Cobb did not mention the tube swapping on their site when they started selling it.

For the record, I just looked at their site and it says and I quote "Easy installation, no mechanical or computer skills necessary"

I suppose removing the radiator shroud or whatever to get to the hose is what they mean by no mechanical skills necessary.

Also, the whole "on the fly" thing seems a bit misleading, but whatever.

I just want the darn thing to work.

EDIT: I looked at the website again, and it says "Requires no tools or mechanical knowledge to install." I looked through the install pdf too, and I did not see any mention of the hoses.

Last edited by CaliMR; Mar 28, 2008 at 12:52 AM.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CaliMR
Unfortunately, I already paid for the thing so I want it to work. I am a bit miffed still that Cobb did not mention the tube swapping on their site when they started selling it.

For the record, I just looked at their site and it says and I quote "Easy installation, no mechanical or computer skills necessary"

I suppose removing the radiator shroud or whatever to get to the hose is what they mean by no mechanical skills necessary.

Also, the whole "on the fly" thing seems a bit misleading, but whatever.

I just want the darn thing to work.

EDIT: I looked at the website again, and it says "Requires no tools or mechanical knowledge to install." I looked through the install pdf too, and I did not see any mention of the hoses.

In Cobbs Defense...the reason why they didn't mention about removing the secondary pill or just swapping out the line completely with one they would send you is because they figured about 95% of guys are using MBC's.

Your best bet is just have someone you trust (for me it was the performance shop that does all my work) install the COBB boost hose line...........Your car will completely change

Quick Reply: Problems with Access Port