Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Got Protuned today.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2008, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got Protuned today.

So today i went to P&L Motorsports to get tuned.

Here are my Mods:
-GSC 272/272 cams
-Buschur Intake
-ARP Head Studs
-GM Boost Solenoid
-Walbro Fuel Pump
-AMS TBE w/ Test Pipe
-MR BOV
-Cobb AP

I put down 317HP and 302TQ

Here is the dyno plot:
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m...1/IMG_0546.jpg

Overall I am very happy with my tune and expierence there.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 06:14 PM
Evolving Member

Good results from that set-up, I will be there on friday...
Old Jan 21, 2008, 06:21 PM
Account Disabled

very nice.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 11:21 PM
Evolving Member

Exhaust, Intake and cams and a fuel pump for insurance... geeze... I don't think cams are even necessary for 300-350. You have mainly insurance mods but that's understandable. On a IX would you need to upgrade the fuel pump? How much boost are you running at the moment? What does it taper down to?
BTW nice Dyno man, clean. That doesn't look like 302TQ on the graph, did you notice that? That's like 320-325 somewhere. But W/E...... nice to see A/F, wish it wasn't a collective A/F. How much was your tune?

Last edited by Dorikun; Jan 21, 2008 at 11:30 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Dorikun
Exhaust, Intake and cams and a fuel pump for insurance... geeze... I don't think cams are even necessary for 300-350. You have mainly insurance mods but that's understandable. On a IX would you need to upgrade the fuel pump? How much boost are you running at the moment? What does it taper down to?
BTW nice Dyno man, clean. That doesn't look like 302TQ on the graph, did you notice that? That's like 320-325 somewhere. But W/E...... nice to see A/F, wish it wasn't a collective A/F. How much was your tune?
Im running 21psi that tapers down to 19psi at redline.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 07:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by STiHAVOK
So today i went to P&L Motorsports to get tuned.

Here are my Mods:
-GSC 272/272 cams
-Buschur Intake
-ARP Head Studs
-GM Boost Solenoid
-Walbro Fuel Pump
-AMS TBE w/ Test Pipe
-MR BOV
-Cobb AP

I put down 317HP and 302TQ

Here is the dyno plot:
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m...1/IMG_0546.jpg

Overall I am very happy with my tune and expierence there.
Dude, I'm in Palatine, where the hell is P&L. I see you're in Deerfield.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 07:38 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by turbo271
P&L motorsports is in Franklin Park - http://www.pandlmotorsports.com - EVOM vendor

Elliot, looks like you're having fun with the car & good numbers. That's not far off from the 100octane tune I had on it on the UTEC.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 08:56 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by turbo271
Another palatine guy here. If you are interested we have a local forum you should hit up. Its MWIR.net

Do you have any links on hooking up that GM boost solenoid. I've been really interested in doing that so the ECU can correct boost in higher gears, the tru-boost overshoots hard in 5th and the taper isn't great either.

Nice results, you should check into an FMIC and possibly an E85 tune. Eric Gaudi (AMS) was making 385hp on everything you have with 780cc injectors and an intercooler/LICP. I talked to chris and he was saying 680cc may be enough, but 780cc would be perfect and still allow room for a green later on if i wanted. Come spring time I'm going to get a fuel pump, injectors and cams before I get a protune for 93 and e85.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 09:02 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Eric had an IX as well. . . Oh and I have 780's for sale
Old Jan 22, 2008, 09:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by STiHAVOK
Im running 21psi that tapers down to 19psi at redline.
21? is that considered conservative considering you're hp is 317? Are you having to worry about any turbo heating or turbo life expectancy issues? That's a nice boost level though... Man I have so many questions now that I've read frosty's reply about the GM boost solenoid can anyone point me in the direction of a thread that talks about that, according to frosty's post he said it can help the computer correct boost tapering? Man that's wicked sweet if it does that. Also thanks so much for posting StiHavok that's flippn sweet, I feel us southern bumkins can learn a lot from you yanks, WoooT! But you know guys there's something that's eating me alive with tuning this car... why is the stock exhaust good to 400 but everyone who tunes to 300-350 replaces it for the extra horsepower... is it THAT restrictive? I mean, fact of the matter is, I don't want a loud exhaust and someone gave me good advice about as long as you got a resonator on like about two, you'll be reasonably quite, which is great advice but that still confuses me because things like the DP, Manifold, Turbooutlet, in the stock forms, are resonators of sorts. Which means don't replace the DP and the stock cat and I'm good. That makes for an interesting tune... w/e...
Old Jan 22, 2008, 09:31 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
21? is that considered conservative considering you're hp is 317?
I think you have alot of reading to do

Boost pressure doesn't necessarily correlate to more power. Too much boost will only blow hot air and wear out your turbo, and may actually provide less power if not done properly. Controlling boost taper is possible, but only to a certain extent, I was more interested in consistent boost for higher loads. There are alot of factors in all of the equations here

Just dumping in resonators will not necessarily make things quiet. Also, the stock exhaust is large, but things like the muffler (IX shown here: http://www.worksevo.com/images/produ...ust%20Path.jpg from here: http://www.worksevo.com/store/produc...products_id=79 ) and all of the neck downs in the O2 housing and downpipe are a huge restriction. It is replaced first because it is one of the easiest/cheapest ways to gain alot of horsepower, and is good prep for future mods after that. ...obviously the most friendly mod you can do for sound and our air is a high flow cat.

Just getting an exhaust doesn't mean it has to be loud, the AMS exhaust is actually pretty quiet idle, the stealthworks also. Personally I just ordered a Fujitsubo RM01A. It isn't the most free flowing exhaust, but it is extremely light and not much louder than stock. Unfortunately it is mad tyte JDM only.

Sorry for the OT

EDIT: here is info on the solenoid install. Not sure why I couldn't find it the other day: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...48#post5183748

Last edited by fostytou; Jan 22, 2008 at 12:40 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 09:41 AM

21? is that considered conservative considering you're hp is 317? Are you having to worry about any turbo heating or turbo life expectancy issues? That's a nice boost level though... Man I have so many questions now that I've read frosty's reply about the GM boost solenoid can anyone point me in the direction of a thread that talks about that, according to frosty's post he said it can help the computer correct boost tapering? Man that's wicked sweet if it does that. Also thanks so much for posting StiHavok that's flippn sweet, I feel us southern bumkins can learn a lot from you yanks, WoooT! But you know guys there's something that's eating me alive with tuning this car... why is the stock exhaust good to 400 but everyone who tunes to 300-350 replaces it for the extra horsepower... is it THAT restrictive? I mean, fact of the matter is, I don't want a loud exhaust and someone gave me good advice about as long as you got a resonator on like about two, you'll be reasonably quite, which is great advice but that still confuses me because things like the DP, Manifold, Turbooutlet, in the stock forms, are resonators of sorts. Which means don't replace the DP and the stock cat and I'm good. That makes for an interesting tune... w/e...
Bunch of stuff.

The EVO uses a MAF based boost control system like some Porsche's, Saab's, Volvo's, etc.

Meaning, you command an airflow target, say 250 grams per second in the case of Elliot's car.

Once you dial in the dynamic systems, any solenoid can be made to work properly. This, in and of itself, is the biggest gripe I have with ECUFlash. Boost control simply never worked right, so most people just went with MBC's.

But I digress.

What happens, is that the car will set boost up until it reaches it's target, and then it will maintain whatever level of boost is necessary until you take your foot off the gas.

There are several key benefits here. First off, the system will automatically compensate for elevations, temperatures, air density, etc. It lends itself to a completely consistent product that doesn't require tons of compensation like I'd need for a Subaru with it's MAP based boost control setup.

So, it's relative on what is safe, or not. Because really, what is boost? It's an excess of air that hasn't been processed through the motor; which is nothing more then an air pump.

So, a more efficient car can make more power on "less boost" but if you look at the MAF readings, I guarantee it's moving more air.

I've purposely left this tune very conservative, and really ran it rich on the top end after 6500 just to make sure that a few weeks go by and there are no random glitches in the software, etc. At that time, we'll be tweaking Elliot's map for 93, and doing his 100 octane map.

Oh yeah. I'm the tuner BTW. Our shop, P&L Motorsports has worked hand in hand with Cobb Tuning on all versions of the Accessports that have been released, doing lots of their beta testing and application design collaboration. It's been a hoot working on the software in beta, and can't wait to keep working on more and more EVO's now that the product is seeing wider acceptance.

Feel free to email me with any questions, as I'm not always on EVOm.

jorge@pandlmotorsports.com

Jorge (RiftsWRX)
www.ProjectWRX.com
Old Jan 22, 2008, 09:43 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Oddly enough that car was the ECU used by cobb initially for work on the GSR.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

Rifts Pwns. Great job on the tune etc. Thanks frosty, I understand and agree with your post. Hey Havok, where does the GMBoost silinoid come into play when using the Accessport? I'm curious because it hasn't been talked about yet.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 09:23 AM

to my understand it is a more aggressive solenoid than stock. not to mention i was running a mbc before hand and didn't really see the purpose of having it. considering i have a ap that i can switch maps on, so when i want to run higher boost and put 100 in i can just switch to that map...well when i get that map.

Quick Reply: Got Protuned today.