Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Please Clarify my Wideband Research (Innovate/Zeitronix)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2008, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Emailed Zetronix. Turns out they do not need a manual free air calibration:

The Zt-2 Wideband AFR Meter and Datalogging System has a self calibrating routine internally driving the O2 sensor 1000 times per second. There is no need for frequent manual calibration and O2 sensor removal from the exhaust pipe.
I've never heard this mentioned on this forum...pretty important I'd say. I wonder why no Zeitronix fans or vendors haven't mentioned this when Innovate states they can perform "Free Air calibrations?"

I also asked when you would know the O2 sensor went in a Zeitronix setup and I received this reply:

A dead O2 sensor typically gets stuck at 14.7 or 21 AFR. Sometimes at the end of life the sensor will slow down the response time. You will know.
So the advantage w/ the Innovate LC1 to compensate for O2 sensor wear is lost it seems. This leaves the two points left for me to figure out:

-ZT2 has a faster sample rate.
-LC1 has direct digital sampling.

Why can I get both in one wideband? Does one advantage outweigh another?
Old Jan 22, 2008, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you plan to log your WBO2 signal via EvoScan or Mitsulogger, chances are that you'll never see that speed from the ZT-2. Logging all of the values I use, I usually get 10-15 samples/sec.

Last edited by TouringBubble; Jan 22, 2008 at 06:06 PM. Reason: incorrect info ... sorry
Old Jan 22, 2008, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I have an LC-1 that's installed permanently, works flawlessly.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

The LC-1 has "2 programmable analog outputs.' What types of sensors could I connect to analog outputs?
Old Jan 23, 2008, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

You can only connect O2 display/reading devices to those outputs. They are outputs, not inputs. One output is 5V and the other is 1v which can be used to simulate a narrowband signal.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 08:13 AM

they are both good i used Zeitronix because i can log boost, AFR, and EGT and wideband. just make my life easy.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 10:00 AM
Evolving Member

I just want to add the reason you see a lot of posts on the innovate forum about LC-1 going bad is because it is sensitive to power levels I think. So when you install it you want to make sure the wiring is connected well and that you have good grounds.

Regarding free-air calibration, it is very easy. Just requires pushing a button and a few seconds. And you don't need to remove the sensor from the exhaust if you can have your car sit for a day or more.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by roger smith
Regarding free-air calibration, it is very easy. Just requires pushing a button and a few seconds. And you don't need to remove the sensor from the exhaust if you can have your car sit for a day or more.
... or if you have a decent sized hill around ... I calibrate my sensor with the car running after the injectors cut out on decel. The engine basically turns in to a big air pump and pushes the exhaust gases out rather quickly once the injectors cut out. It's a rather handy trick.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I have used both and this is my final conclusion..

If you just need to get AFR reading into your EVOscan or mitsulogger logs, then get a LC-1.

If you need a WB that also logs RPM, TPS, EGT, boost and a user input, get the Zt-2
Old Jan 24, 2008, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

I ended up ordering the Innovate LC1 ans Tactrix cable this evening. I like looking stealth and after all the back and forth of technical speak, I think they are both good products, but I don't believe I'll be logging TPS and EGT, but just AFR and Boost through the JDM sensor/ECU. The LC1 was cheaper, so wish me luck on my tuning journey!!!

I plan on installing the Wideband on the stock downpipe, tuning my stock car as best I can as a learning process, then as I change bolt-ons....tune some more.

I appreciate everyone's help!!!
Old Jan 24, 2008, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Im planning on getting Autometers wideband c2 gauge. Has anyone heard anything about it? Should I look at one of these insted?
Old Jan 26, 2008, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bster13
I ended up ordering the Innovate LC1 ans Tactrix cable this evening. I like looking stealth and after all the back and forth of technical speak, I think they are both good products, but I don't believe I'll be logging TPS and EGT, but just AFR and Boost through the JDM sensor/ECU. The LC1 was cheaper, so wish me luck on my tuning journey!!!

I plan on installing the Wideband on the stock downpipe, tuning my stock car as best I can as a learning process, then as I change bolt-ons....tune some more.

I appreciate everyone's help!!!
???? This seems like a silly purchase based upon how you plan to use it...Oh well, your money....
Old Jan 26, 2008, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Hrmmm, I thought I was confident in my decision based off advice like yours:

"I really like both setups, but the ZT2 has great options for meth setups (failsafe)."

.....and others. Not a very helpful forum member to speak after I made the purchase, huh?
Old Jan 26, 2008, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bster13
Hrmmm, I thought I was confident in my decision based off advice like yours:

"I really like both setups, but the ZT2 has great options for meth setups (failsafe)."

.....and others. Not a very helpful forum member to speak after I made the purchase, huh?
I am sorry ...I should have been nicer and more clear. If you are going to keep your car stock, a very basic tune ($50) will get you 9/10 of the way and would have saved you time and money. I don't really see why you need a wideband if you are keeping your car stock / close to stock, but that is just me...As I said in the beginning, either wideband will suffice for your needs.

Last edited by cij911; Jan 26, 2008 at 02:25 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Im pretty sure they wanted to install it and learn the basics of tuning then start tossing parts at it. I would prefer the LC-1 but right now mine is throwing error codes left and right and either my lc-1 or sensor is dead, (and its brand new, 0 miles on it, never even seen any hot exhaust).

Last edited by Jameson_IXMR; Jan 27, 2008 at 01:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Please Clarify my Wideband Research (Innovate/Zeitronix)