Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Please Clarify my Wideband Research (Innovate/Zeitronix)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2008, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please Clarify my Wideband Research (Innovate/Zeitronix)

-Innovate LC1 has 12.5/sec sample rate.

-'Jfitzpat' states the Innovate LC1 samples "250 times faster than a conventional current based wideband"

-Zeitronix ZT2 has 74/sec sample rate.

-Innovate uses Direct Digital Sampling: http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/r...s/AN19_1.2.pdf

-Innovate has Free Air Calibration to account for changes in the bosch o2 sensor over it's usable life.

My questions:

-So which wideband samples quicker? Has been stated Zeitronix has faster sample rate, but I've read from jfitzpat that the innovate is faster. What's the truth?

-Innovate seems to have a way to account for changes in the Bosch O2 sensor over it's usable life. How does the Zeitronix account for this? Doesn't seem to be much of a concern for ZT2 users, but to my newbie self, I don't care how feature rich a wideband is if it isn't accurate over the long haul, no?

-So the Zeitronix can take quicker samples (depends on what u read), but the Innovate LC1 uses a more responsive Direct Digital Sampling technique. Which one provides more usual information when tuning?

(BTW, stating "<brand X> FTW!" does nothing for me )

Thanks!
Old Jan 21, 2008, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bster13
-Innovate LC1 has 12.5/sec sample rate.

-'Jfitzpat' states the Innovate LC1 samples "250 times faster than a conventional current based wideband"

-Zeitronix ZT2 has 74/sec sample rate.

-Innovate uses Direct Digital Sampling: http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/r...s/AN19_1.2.pdf

-Innovate has Free Air Calibration to account for changes in the bosch o2 sensor over it's usable life.

My questions:

-So which wideband samples quicker? Has been stated Zeitronix has faster sample rate, but I've read from jfitzpat that the innovate is faster. What's the truth?

-Innovate seems to have a way to account for changes in the Bosch O2 sensor over it's usable life. How does the Zeitronix account for this? Doesn't seem to be much of a concern for ZT2 users, but to my newbie self, I don't care how feature rich a wideband is if it isn't accurate over the long haul, no?

-So the Zeitronix can take quicker samples (depends on what u read), but the Innovate LC1 uses a more responsive Direct Digital Sampling technique. Which one provides more usual information when tuning?

(BTW, stating "<brand X> FTW!" does nothing for me )

Thanks!
You've answered the speed question -- ZT2. As for O2 sensor accuracy -- you have to ask what are you going to be doing -- tuning professionally, using it to tune your car once, using it to tune your car throughout a year, etc. When the O2 sensor starts to fail, you'll know (similar to your factory O2). I really like both setups, but the ZT2 has great options for meth setups (failsafe).
Old Jan 21, 2008, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

I want a permanent install for the life of the car. I work with a laptop every day so carrying that would not be a problem for logging purposes. A really dig the ZT2 display, but it's secondary to the performance of the wideband itself.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
they all use the same bosche sensor. But i think inovated have one where you ca pick NTK sensor. which is the best sensor on the market but cost you you $400 just for the sensor. We also used the Zeitronix in our shop. good stuff, you can log boost, AFR, EGT.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Bosch sensor it'll be. W/ the Zeitronix u state u can log boost, AFR, and EGT. But how? Does the Zeitronix come with an EGT sensor? Or just an input to connect an EGT sensor? (Where would I get one?) I believe I can log boost and Lambda to calculate AFR w/ the ECU, so that isn't wideband model specific, right?
Old Jan 21, 2008, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

All the extra gadgets costs extra, ie. boost, egt, etc.

Just get the ZT-2 and be done with it. It's what I am using in mine and you can switch between Lambda (God forbid you want to tune using that) and/or AFR.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

So then the ZT2 has no perceivable benefit other than a nice gauge? I can't purchase the unit based off that solely.

Right now it appears the ZT2 samples quicker, but the LC1 calculates better and can recalibrate. Seems like a trade-off. Once I wrestle with that I'll purchase.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

Dude... The ZT2 has a lot of benefits... (The ZT2 IS just the control unit box)

If you want JUST the ZT2 unit to log on a laptop you can do that...

If you want the cool bling bling ZT2 with the LCD you can do that do too...

If you want the cool bling bling ZT2 with the Gauge display you can do that too...

If you want the ultimate cool bling bling baller status with gauge display AND LCD you can do that too...

If you want the richer than God bling bling status with gauge display, LCD and all the extra sensors (EGT, BOOST, etc.) you can do that too...
Old Jan 22, 2008, 05:22 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The LC-1 will break after three uses, the zextronic will not. Avoid the innovative.

Just for some proof, scroll through the first three pages just reading the titles:
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/f...splay.php?f=10

Notice how many times the word dead and error appear.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

My LC-1 works great ... but a friend of mine has gone through like 3 sensors over the last year. The main difference is that mine stays in the car and is always heated and the one he used was a LM-1 that was in and out of a couple of cars and he didn't always remember to power on the unit to heat the sensor.

For the most basic WBO2 needs, I always recommend the LC-1. For boost logging along with O2, the ZT-2 comes up on top. Both are quite accurate and will serve your purpose well.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Thx for the advice TouringBubble. My wideband will be a permanent install, so I should be good to go.

I thought MRFred listed out how to log boost and change boost w/ JDM sensor and the ECU.

So if I log boost/change boost w/ the stock ECU, is there any other benefit to the ZT2 other than the nice gauge?

I am still worried about the accuracy of the readings of the ZT2 o2 sensor over time as there is no Free Air Calibration. How do ZT2 owners get over that?
Old Jan 22, 2008, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

IMHO, the ZT-2 offers no extra benefit over the LC-1 if you are planning to use the JDM MAP for boost logging. Being a minimalist that likes to hide most of my electronic doo-dads, I honestly don't like the gauge either. But, thats a call for you to make.

I personally use the LC-1 with no gauge. I only reference it while logging. I use the stock Mitsu boost gauge for visual reference and the JDM MAP sensor for logging. I have tried the JDM MAP based boost tuning methods and they work well, but I'm currently using the normal load based method.

The calibration feature on the LC-1 is nice and I use it often ... I probably re-calibrate every 2 months or so just to be sure everything is accurate.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 08:24 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I just bought the AEM Uego. You can get them relatively cheap and they are supported on mitsulogger and i believe EVOscan. You also get a gauge and I have never seen any issues with it. that is my recommendation.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

I've read the AEM only has the ability to log AFR, and nothing additional if you desire in the future, so the AEM is not in the running for me, but thanks for the recommendation.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 08:31 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

You are right, my fault I got caught up in the conversation.

Quick Reply: Please Clarify my Wideband Research (Innovate/Zeitronix)