Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

LC-1, XD-16 Error 2 (first use)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2008, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Sure, quite simply I removed the whole unit gauge and all, and connected all power wires to lugs and to the positive side of a spare battery I had. Then I connected all grounds with lugs to the negative side, the unit immediately turned on, worked great. So I read that you can power up the system with just a 9 volt battery, that tells me the tolerance for voltage is pretty wide so it must be my ground. (and I had an awesome ground) I installed the unit again and made sure I did not splice/extend any of the ground wires. I ran all of the ground wires to the lug nut under the drivers dash to the far right. There is a post that already has 2 lugs on it(gold ones) I cleaned it some and used it and it works. It reads slightly less than my original ground at .00017 Ohms.

Connect it to a battery to be sure the unit works, then do the open air cal with it on the battery. Once its running, install it on the car. Dont use any crimp-splices, and try to ground the original wire to the ground. If you MUST splice solder the connections and be sure to tin the wires. (google a how to solder, and get it done right, a glob on the wires will likely be a cold spot and create resistance and mess up the ground).
Old Jan 30, 2008, 10:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good read. So you got the xd-16 or the lc-1? Been having issues connecting my laptop to my lc-1 to set it up.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 01:04 AM
Evolved Member

I have both, I can connect logworks to the LC-1 no problem. The sensor is out of cal already I think (could be my car), anyway now I cannot connect the gauge to the computer. When I remove the terminator plug and put it in the "in" port of the xd-16 then connect the computer to the "out" port, the gauge doesnt even light up. Connect everything back to the LC1 and it works... This is one seriously flawed product. The innovative forums are no help either, just a million threads of people with bad grounds, and brand new units that are faulty, sending them back to innov. for repair...... I just want the dang thing to work. Its been 5 days (4 hours a day) to get it to do what it does now (essentially nothing)
Old Jan 31, 2008, 01:28 AM
Evolved Member

Dang bro.... Sorry to hear of all of the problems you are encountering ):

I wish I could help.. I have an AEM UEGO and it was a straight forward install. I was having problems at first because of poor grounds and loose wires, but it was figured out in a timely manner...

Innovate really should get all of these bugs fixed and COMPLETELY test these units before they send them out.. seems like too many people are having issues...

But, then again.. I love the Innovate LC-1 compared to my AEM because you have so much broader of a range of numbers from rich to lean.

...just rambling hehe.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 03:20 AM
Evolved Member

What do you think the problem connecting w/a laptop is? I've got a thread somewhere on here about having connecting issues w/the lc-1 but really couldn't figure what the problem was. I got the Dynex cable from Bestbuy, it worked once, but that was it, i keep getting this:

"No real time data detected. Check serial port and connection. Note, you must use 'Download lm-1 log from the file menu' instead of a real time operation in 9v battery mode"

Any clues?
Old Jan 31, 2008, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

Assuming your cd-16 powers up, your problem is likely a com port error. Mabye soemthing else is using that port, or you dont have the drivers for the dynex cable. I have the dynex cable too, and it works like a charm. Installed drivers included with it, and checked what port it was on. Then selected that port from the lm-programmer or logworks. Worked fine. I just cant get the xd-16 to turn on when the LC-1 isnt connected to it.. I know the connectors are good cause it works with the lc-1, so tha tells me in/out/power/ground are good, I also read them out to be sure.
Old Feb 2, 2008, 04:17 AM
Evolving Member

Jameson_IXMR, Thanks buddy the damn thing works now, but after it heats up it shows E 8, I checked the manual and it says a damaged sensor, bought a new one but still it's showing E 8.
I don't know what the hell is up with this thing.

My friend says it might be the LC-1 not working right, what do you guys think?
Old Feb 9, 2008, 01:59 AM
Evolved Member

Haha well, I havent sent my xd-16 in yet, because after Innovate gave me a return authorization number the LC-1 starting tossing out E-8 errors too. So I need to call them tomarrow and say you know what forget it, I have had 5 defective components now and the system has been installed for 2 weeks and driven mabye 10-15 miles. This is ridiculious.

So did you ever find the answer to that E-8 error?
Old Feb 9, 2008, 11:49 PM
Evolving Member

LOL Jameson, the LC-1 started to give me all kind of error's, E-8 E-2 and finally E-9, I was like WTF.
I removed the damn thing from my car now, and am going to send it to innovate.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 05:45 AM
Evolved Member

let me know how it turns out.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 10:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You guys wouldn't happen to know how to get your laptop to use a specific COM port would you? I'm not very tech-savvy, but I'm having the same error (no communication) as a few posts up. Same thing. I need to get these computers talking.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old Mar 30, 2008, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

Ha! Never mind --- figured it out!

And now I'm experiencing the exact same thing as post #44. The unit will activate, but it'll flash back and forth between "o2", "20.9", and 7.5 AFR at idle. And I can't program my XD-16 either.

Any help?
Old Apr 3, 2008, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Ok, so I figured out how to program the XD-16.

Now, I'm going to follow Evodan's instructions.

Wish me luck!
Old Apr 6, 2008, 11:34 AM
Evolving Member

im having trouble myself... with the DB gauge and the LC1...
i dont mean to thread jack lol but check it out
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...36#post5505936