Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

AMS Not Tuning with AP Any More!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2008, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by artisticspawn
This may be off topic, but are there any cheaper but decent qualitiy turbo back exhausts anyone would recommend to go along this AP? In other words, anything cheaper but somewhat similar to Cobb's exhaust?
Yeah, I have a TurboXS Downpipe and a Skunk2 TP and CB. Love it. and Awsome sound. Probably around $750.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

How about Megan Racing's TP & cat back....but I don't think they make a downpipe
Old Mar 14, 2008, 01:11 PM
Evolving Member

According to the previous owner of my car, I have a Megan downpipe. Of course the owner hasn't provided a receipt proving that and don't how easy it would be to check brand on the downpipe
Old Mar 21, 2008, 10:04 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah, I'm ditching the AP specifically because AMS can't tune it now.

Moreso, my real reasons are that Cobb never delivered on all of the awesome features promised and it has been basically a year and a half of waiting... waiting... waiting.....

No NLTS, no 02 CEL cancel, contact, support, and information has been lacking in the forums.

Either way, I'm torn on e85 or meth now because with the new Tephra mods I can do either very easily and safely without carrying a laptop OR risking keeping the AP in my car... all I need is a switch! The AP looked to be a good buy, but I'm over it now.

I do wish cobb and the AP the best in the future, hopefully they can come through better in the near future.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 11:07 AM
Evolving Member

I agree on the lack of any real support for evo owner's by Cobb. If I didn't already have a tune I was happy with, I'd dump the ap as soon as possible as I don't see Cobb putting much effort into the evo. Just look at the official forums and all the free maps and support offered for the subie guys and compare that to the offerings for the evo
Old Mar 22, 2008, 04:10 AM

yea there is not much support by cobb but you cant compare to the subie guys. They have been working on ap and subarus for several YEARS. The ap for the evo has only been out for a year. So it will take time. Im gonna hang in there and hopefully they will release streettuner before my evo blows up.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 06:17 PM

These dont seem like they really ever caught on with the evo's. The stock ecu offers to much tuning in my view.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 06:25 PM
Evolving Member

actually the suby ecu is much more complex than the ecu for 4g63s.

Majority of us are using free tuning software such as ECUflash and this is part of the reason why AP isn't as popular as among suby owners.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

I am by no means defending COBB on the points listed above...as I am FED UP with having a base map and want a PROTUNE that no one can give..........

BUT...........

The AP is more than just a tuning device...it does have some other "useful" features (at least for me)......especially the code reading.

I have to figure that COBB must me saying the evo 8/9 market for them is garbage so why spend any time developing anything else for it.....so new base maps etc. must have gone out the window..........which for that I really don't care.......but what would be nice is if they would at least fix "whatever" probs there were with the first Protune software so us guys that have purchased the AP (which we all know we can count us on two hands probably) and want to get protuned can do so.........

uuuuuuuuugggggghhhhhhhhhh end rant
Old Mar 26, 2008, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Yea and now with Tephras mods to the stock ECU. You dont even have to have a laptop in your car to switch maps.

Access Port for us EVO boys is really nothing but a code reader or a paper weight
Old Mar 26, 2008, 06:03 PM

well at least you guys have a shop that does protuning. Theres not one ANY where around me.All of them told me that cobb is too hard to tune with.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tk2481
well at least you guys have a shop that does protuning. Theres not one ANY where around me.All of them told me that cobb is too hard to tune with.
Well it is definitely too hard if you live no where near anyone who can tune your car with the AP.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 12:42 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,050 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by CPA5
I am by no means defending COBB on the points listed above...as I am FED UP with having a base map and want a PROTUNE that no one can give..........
We've been protuning since it came out... ??
Old Mar 27, 2008, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
We've been protuning since it came out... ??
DUDE....Bryan I just called for you over at GST.

Please PM me as I have things I'd like to discuss with you. If you give me your # I'd actually rather call you.

It Would be much appreciated and my pleasure to chat with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 27, 2008, 12:53 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,050 Likes on 763 Posts
I'm still not understanding the whole glitch thing.

We have a guy that constantly circuit tracks his car with a AP unit with three pro-tuned maps by us that he constantly switches between. No issues whatsoever and his car is not stock by any means:

Evo 9
FPgreen
Cosworth Cams
Denso 720cc injectors
Ecu-controlled boost with GM 3-port
Cone filter
All the normal supporting mods
100 octane street tune
100 octane track tune
91 octane street tune

Car made great power on our dyno and like stated above is driven hard on and off the street.

The only "glitch" I can think of with the Pro-Tuner is that the logging sample rate is pretty slow at this time which can make it a little frustrating at times.

The injector scaling was a bit odd at first since it's different than other tuning tools but we figured it out and fuel trims where 100% in check after a little fiddling.

Quick Reply: AMS Not Tuning with AP Any More!!!!