Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

??? About datalogging and widebands

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2008, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
??? About datalogging and widebands

I've done some searching but I am not finding much. It could be because I don't know how to ask the question but here goes:

I want to learn how to tune the evo and I've started reading the ecuflash threads. The first step (in my mind) would be to get a wideband and learn to understand what its already doing prior to making adjustments. Here's my question:

What, if any wideband/datalogging software works with the mac? I have a g4 i-book so parallels is out. I could try vpc but I would very much like to just run something natively if possible.

I've found info about maclogger here, but I wasn't able to get a clear picture on what wideband was being used in those cases.

Any and all info is appreciated here. Thanks for the patient answer. Its starting to look like the easiest solution is to buy a cheapy pc laptop ebay but I'd like to avoid doing that if possible.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

ok I think I am misunderstanding something here. I'm told that mitsulogger or ecuflash has that stuff built in to it... Thats not my understanding of how this all works though.

Last edited by boozeup&riot; Mar 13, 2008 at 09:14 AM.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

open ecu is not used for logging. open ecu is used for reading and flashing the ECU.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dexmix
open ecu is not used for logging. open ecu is used for reading and flashing the ECU.
Thats my understanding as well after what I have read here. I guess my question more directly should be: will mitsulogger or logworks run natively on a mac? I get the impression they don't.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boozeup&riot
Thats my understanding as well after what I have read here. I guess my question more directly should be: will mitsulogger or logworks run natively on a mac? I get the impression they don't.
yeah i'm pretty sure mitsulogger and logworks will not work on a mac. not sure if evoscan has a build for mac.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dexmix
yeah i'm pretty sure mitsulogger and logworks will not work on a mac. not sure if evoscan has a build for mac.
Thanks for taking the time to reply man. I'm feeling way over my head and I've started reading articles up on how best to tune but without knowing how best to log any data with my mac laptop, I feel stuck before I can even start.

I appreciate any help you or anyone else can provide here. Again, it sounds like I may just need to get a pc laptop and call it good.

My understanding is that:
a)I need a wideband.
b) I need a computer to capture the logged data from the wideband
c) I then need software to modify the tables/cells within the ecu *AFTER* I have a clear understanding of the data I have logged (which may take me some time to understand).

I just want to get to a point where I can start logging this data and see for myself what others have been trying to explain here.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

I also have a Mac laptop (Macbook Pro) however I have not started using it for tuning because of similar issues. I know you can run windows on it but why would I have gotten a Mac to run windows? LOL I do have several Windows Laptops and that is what I usually use for logging and flashing. I have downloaded ECU flash for Mac's and have it loaded on the MacBook just haven't tried it yet. PM me if you want to buy one of my older Laptops for a good price. As far as learning about tuning there are some really good threads on this site.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=201146
ECU flash beginners tutorial

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=302895
How to tune an Evo

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...jector+scaling

Check these out for starters. Sorry but I don't know your level of knowledge and am not trying to insult your inteligence.

Josh

Old Mar 13, 2008, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jmelocik
I also have a Mac laptop (Macbook Pro) however I have not started using it for tuning because of similar issues. I know you can run windows on it but why would I have gotten a Mac to run windows? LOL I do have several Windows Laptops and that is what I usually use for logging and flashing. I have downloaded ECU flash for Mac's and have it loaded on the MacBook just haven't tried it yet. PM me if you want to buy one of my older Laptops for a good price. As far as learning about tuning there are some really good threads on this site.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=201146
ECU flash beginners tutorial

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=302895
How to tune an Evo

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...jector+scaling

Check these out for starters. Sorry but I don't know your level of knowledge and am not trying to insult your inteligence.

Josh

Not at all and I appreciate your input. I've read the "how to tune an evo" thread. I've reread it now because I feel so confused. This is probably natural. I'll read the other links you've provided. I just feel stuck because in my mind, part of understanding all of this is logging the data from your car. I cant even get that far! Most of these articles are written under the assumption you can, or have successfully managed to log your data. I want to buy a wideband and I'm leaning towards the zeitronix. I'll pm you for a price on one of those laptops if I cant find any answers. Thanks again man.

Last edited by boozeup&riot; Mar 13, 2008 at 10:01 AM.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey man im having the same problem you are, i have a macbook pro and would prefer to use it than buy a crappy pc. i have a program called crossover that lets you run pc programs and stuff like that so im assuming that may work for the programs to log and such. im going to give it a try and see.