Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Most Important Guages For Tuning

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2008, 03:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4WS Tuning
wideband and egt... Log boost =-)
+37364535
Old Aug 3, 2008, 10:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Im rocking the 3 pillar with boost/vac, wb02 (lc-1), and oil pressure. Cant go wrong with that. All i need the the JDM 3-bar so i can log boost
Old Aug 3, 2008, 10:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am wondering if you have an accurate boost gauge and you run a MBC, do you really need a JDM 3Bar sensor to log boost? Will it really help much with tuning?
I can see it being beneficial if you are running an EBC so you could see taper and make adjustments, but I dont see the real need with MBC.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 11:17 AM
Evolving Member

Well its not really a MBC, its the WGDC / BDEL ECUflash adjustments with a undersized restrictor pill pre-wastegate. And yeah, my boost gauge is about 2-2.5 psi off at full scale (30psi), We have a vacuum / low pressure calibrator at work and i hooked my boost gauge to it and it was reading 28 1/2 while the machine said 30.00. Same for vac, it was about 2" lower that the machine. But all mechanical gauges are crap, the burdon-tube wears out over time. I'd rather use a electrical sensor and have it logged, i cant really stare at a boost gauge while im WOT, gotta watch out for kids and deer, HAH! That way i can actually get my boost curve smooth, which will help smooth out load in the end.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wideband and boost....
Old Aug 4, 2008, 09:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would like to know why EGT isnt that important?

Is it because if your AFR's are inline with what they should be, you shouldnt be running hot enough to worry? (hence, if you have a wideband gauge you kill 2 birds?)
Old Aug 4, 2008, 09:42 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by TurboTylerIX
I would like to know why EGT isnt that important?

Is it because if your AFR's are inline with what they should be, you shouldnt be running hot enough to worry? (hence, if you have a wideband gauge you kill 2 birds?)
EGT is important.

I think the previous posts have indicated that the unit is too slow on a boosted car. I think that the poster might be experiencing a unit that samples at a slow rate and might want to rethink his decision that EGT is not important to monitor. If things get too hot down there, bye bye turbo/engine/ (input random expensive part here) etc...

Leaner mixture burns hotter giving you more power. Too much heat and things begin to melt. This is when your car is the fastest!. This is a must if you are tuning the car for maximum power. You will be surprised how close to the edge you are running!