Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

AEM Tru Boost Tuning - Need some advice please!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2008, 07:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation AEM Tru Boost Tuning - Need some advice please!

Hey guys, hope everyone is kicking some *** in their Evos. I need some
guidance. Maybe you can help me. I have some questions regarding tuning my AEM Tru Boost EBC

AMS tuned my 06 Evo IX MR, and they have my "SPR" set at 2.0
What do you think, and why is this set low?

When it was cold outside I was normally making a peak High boost of about 23.5 psi. Sometimes at night when it was real chilly I was even hitting a high boost of around 25.3 - 25.7 psi in 3rd-4th gear.

Lately, now that it has been hot as hell outside, i have been having a high boost of just around stock psi. Typically around 19.2 to 19.7 psi...

Today i was trying to see if I could fix this High boost issue.
FYI: The temperature outside where I live is about 84 degrees F today.

So I turned her on. After she was warm I went into my "A" boost setting and put my duty cycle from 62(AMS had it set at 62) all the way up to 68. I adjusted it 2 numbers at a time and did pulls each time in 3rd. (Then saved the setting.)

At "A68" I am now peak boosting 22.7 psi in a 3rd gear pull with it being 84 degrees outside. Alot better than my previous 19.5...but 22.7 still seems a bit low for an A68 setting. I HAVE NOT adjusted the "SPR" on it. It's still set at "2.0" What do you guys think?

The spool up seems to be fine, but i'm not entirely sure. I don't have a graph to look at, just my eyes looking at the gauge as I boost through the gear from 3,500RPM to 7,000RPM. It seems to be holding around 19 psi. Is that about right?
Of course before you give me any advice... you will need to know my mods.

Mods:

AMS Intercooler w/ lower ICP
Megan Exhaust Manifold
Nvidia 02 Housing
Walbro 255
AEM Intake
GFB BOV
AEM Tru Boost
AEM UEGO Wideband
Helix DP
Perrin Cat-Delete
Greddy Full Titanium Cat Back
(Michelin Pilot Sport 255/40 ZR 17 Tires on my stock BBS)

Okay, ANY advice or knowledge would be highly appreciated about what my spring rate should be, as well as what my duty cycle % can be/or should be at before entering a dangerous boost spike.

FYI: I am near certain I have no boost leaks as AMS tested and fixed any boost leaks I had about 6 months ago. When they tuned my Evo i had about 17,500 miles on it. I now have about 21,500 miles.

More FYI: My car was AMS Tuned at 351.6 awhp & 352.8 ft.lbs TQ with the mods listed above.

Hope to hear from some knowledgeable Evo owners with this AEM Tru Boost.

-Nick Mionie
06 Rally Red Evo IX MR
from South Jersey
Old Aug 6, 2008, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First of all, you can very easily pick up boost leaks in a 6 month period.

The spr refers to the wga spring pressure. The higher the number the longer the controller holds the wga shut. This does affect spool, but can also affect spiking. The higher the number the quicker it will spool, but it will also tend to spike more. I've seen most people set it around 10-14 which is supposed to be around the spring tension of the stock wga. If you do set it that high, you might have to come down on your wastegate duty cycle (the 62 number) to maintain your target boost. You will also have to adjust wgdc for temperature changes also.

I would ask AMS first though before I started messing with stuff that they setup, especially if you're not sure what you're doing.

Is this the AMS in IL?
Old Aug 8, 2008, 10:09 PM

you have a boost leak. i had a tru boost on my twin turbo z had the same thing. i set my car at 52 before and it only would make about 8psi. found out the wastegate gasket went bad. change that then to make 8psi i had it at 10 instead. check all your gaskets and check for boost leaks.
Old Sep 21, 2008, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by 808BUILT
you have a boost leak. i had a tru boost on my twin turbo z had the same thing. i set my car at 52 before and it only would make about 8psi. found out the wastegate gasket went bad. change that then to make 8psi i had it at 10 instead. check all your gaskets and check for boost leaks.

no, i don't have a boost leak. ty for your input though.