Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

SAFC bad for the EVO?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2008, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SAFC bad for the EVO?

Well first off I'm running a Apexi SAFC in the Eclipse Gs-T and it runs perfectly. Tuned at 22 psi and it pulls hard and runs great. Well my friend also has a Gs-t and he recently got it tuned at a shop and the tuner said that the Safc was a piece of junk and only hurt the car. So he told my friend to take it out and he did. I said that I'd buy it from him to put on my Evo and he was like your an idiot those suck blah, blah blah, I told him he was the moron and the SAFC does wonders. So i bought it off him and plan on installing it anyways.

So I just wanted to know if any of you have ever had any trouble tuning the car with the Apexi SAFC II or if it works fine. The tuner told my frined they sucks because the mess up the MAF? I don't have a problem with mine on my Gs-t so I didn't think I would have any problems with it on the EVO. Can anyone clarify this for me?
Old Sep 7, 2008, 03:34 PM
BBS
Evolved Member

Its a simple piggyback. It does what it does and alters fuel trims and can be used to alter timing. It basically plays shadowgames with the cars ecu. But if your car starts to knock and detonate, the piggyback wont know this and retard the timing. Go stand alone or get your ecu rom flashed.
Old Sep 7, 2008, 03:39 PM
Evolving Member

Personally I would look into getting your ECU flashed. I know of one guy up here that has an SAFC on his Evo 8 and it does fine though....my 2 cents
Old Sep 8, 2008, 09:14 PM
Account Disabled

I had the SAFC NEO and loved that thing... Ive heard people complain that it throws your CEL on, but as long as its sodered youll be fine....

Maybe the guy before you had it hooked up wrong?
Old Sep 8, 2008, 09:17 PM
Evolving Member

i installed one on my evo a while back but was also told by my tuner to either go aem or flash, so i did
Old Sep 13, 2008, 11:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a SAFC II on mine and it seems to work fine.
It's never going to be as good as a stand-alone but for the money it's allright.
Old Sep 21, 2008, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DSM97HERO
Well first off I'm running a Apexi SAFC in the Eclipse Gs-T and it runs perfectly. Tuned at 22 psi and it pulls hard and runs great. Well my friend also has a Gs-t and he recently got it tuned at a shop and the tuner said that the Safc was a piece of junk and only hurt the car. So he told my friend to take it out and he did. I said that I'd buy it from him to put on my Evo and he was like your an idiot those suck blah, blah blah, I told him he was the moron and the SAFC does wonders. So i bought it off him and plan on installing it anyways.

So I just wanted to know if any of you have ever had any trouble tuning the car with the Apexi SAFC II or if it works fine. The tuner told my frined they sucks because the mess up the MAF? I don't have a problem with mine on my Gs-t so I didn't think I would have any problems with it on the EVO. Can anyone clarify this for me?
The part alone does not mess up anything if installed correctly. Its a simply device that alters the MAF signal to your ECU, thus allowing you to richen/lean fuel mixture in regards to whatever fuel map the ecu is currently reading on your ROM. Now, w/ that said... here are some things you should know. The EVO has multiple fuel maps (just like most modern ECMs). From my limited knowledge, the changes against signals by the Apexi AFCII will affect any/all maps the ECU is reading. SO lets say if you start getting a knock count of 4+ (you should run EvoScan while tuning) and the ECU switches to another map, the changes you made w/ the AFC will also alter that secondary map. (im speculating of course). There is also a more important issue (that i've actually run into myself, which is why i stopped using it)... when you mess w/ the fuel, it tends to shoot you into different load cells on the ROM. That in itself alters the ignition timing accordingly. The problem that i had was my ignition timing started to get all crazy and skip around up/down because of what i was doing w/ the fuel. It was driving me nuts trying to clean it up (which i had to do w/ ECUFlash anyways) so i just fixed my fueling issues w/ Flashing instead. ***I do think its a semi-good idea to have one handy for fine trimming at the track when you are on racegas