Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Tactrix Cable blown component

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2008, 07:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tactrix Cable blown component

Ok guys my buddy bought this cable and could never get it to work so he gave it to me to take a look at. We tried and tried but never got it going. I took it apart at the obd2 connector and noticed that on the chip it has a yellowish orange chip that is blown.

Now im really good at soldering but i dont have a clue what chip i would need or where to get it. I took some pics if this helps guys!

Does anyone know what this is?

Here is a link to the schematics thanks to openecu.org http://freon.shackspace.com/car/ecu%...openport13.pdf

Oh and it says C4 next to the chip

Thanks!!

--Josh
Old Sep 24, 2008, 07:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is a capacitor and the value is 2.2uF, is the same as C11, go to this site (mouser.com) and search for a 2.2uf capacitor.
Here you go:

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Product...52b0PdYQ%3d%3d
Old Sep 24, 2008, 09:05 PM
Evolving Member

Whats weird on my chip, c11 has a 10uf cap. Where as the schematics show a 2.2uf should be used. Could that be what cause the c4 to blow?

http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/946...a225k016r.html

Would the one in the link above work too?

Im gonna swap out the c11 to a 2.2uf while im at it.

Oh and thanks for the help!!

--Josh
Old Sep 25, 2008, 06:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SwiftEVO
Whats weird on my chip, c11 has a 10uf cap. Where as the schematics show a 2.2uf should be used. Could that be what cause the c4 to blow?

http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/946...a225k016r.html

Would the one in the link above work too?

Im gonna swap out the c11 to a 2.2uf while im at it.

Oh and thanks for the help!!

--Josh
The one on digikey will work too. As for what cause C4 to blow I can not tell but it could be because of C11. One thing make sure that the blow capacitor is in fact C4. One question, Did this cable work when you got it or it never work? One note is that these capacitors have polarity so make sure that you solder the capacitor with the right polarity, usually the + side of the cap is where the mark is.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 06:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by pupo
The one on digikey will work too. As for what cause C4 to blow I can not tell but it could be because of C11. One thing make sure that the blow capacitor is in fact C4. One question, Did this cable work when you got it or it never work? One note is that these capacitors have polarity so make sure that you solder the capacitor with the right polarity, usually the + side of the cap is where the mark is.
No it never worked. I tried to get a hold of the people we bought it through and never got an email back. Tried for about a month with no reply.

--Josh
Old Sep 25, 2008, 01:48 PM
Evolving Member

Maybe the capacitor was inverted, if you have a multimeter verify that pin 8 of U1 has continuity with + side of the capacitor, pin 8 is by looking at the second picture, the top right pin. Trace that pin to the capacitor and that should be the positive side of the capacitor.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by pupo
Maybe the capacitor was inverted, if you have a multimeter verify that pin 8 of U1 has continuity with + side of the capacitor, pin 8 is by looking at the second picture, the top right pin. Trace that pin to the capacitor and that should be the positive side of the capacitor.

Yea it has continuity with the left side of the burnt cap. So that will be the positive side? Which should be have a little dark bar like the other caps representing the positive side right?

--Josh
Old Sep 29, 2008, 03:32 PM
Evolving Member

You are right.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 10:00 PM
Evolving Member

Well i soldered it in and every time i just barley plug it into the odb2 port is just pops and its the same capacitor every time. I though I had it backwards so i soldered another one the other direction and it doesn't blow it but the cable still isn't working soooo I dont know what else to try

--Josh
Old Sep 30, 2008, 03:31 PM
Evolving Member

Usually a cap blows like that if it is inverted or if there is a short circuit, I will try to see if I can take a look at my cable to see what I can find. By looking at the scematics the + side of the cap goes to a 12v source, verify that there are 12v, if you can, the - side goes to ground, verify that C11 and C4 and C1 has the same ground.