Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Does Tuning Affect Reliability

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2008, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does Tuning Affect Reliability

I am considering getting my EVO IX tuned. I currently have a 3 inch test pipe, Greddy Ti exhaust, intercooler piping and a Injen intake. My question is that if I get it tuned will that affect my reliability? Life span of the engine, turbo, etc.? I've tried getting a straight answer, but I have received different ones every time. Can anyone give me a straight answer?
Old Sep 27, 2008, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

All depends if your tuner knows what he is doing. Any reputable tuner you will be good to go. No reliability issues with your mods and power levels
Old Sep 27, 2008, 06:55 PM

I plan on going to a local tuner by were I live. I live in So Cal and the tuner is in Colton, CA. Its Tuning Technologies. Has anybody heard good/bad things about them. Anyone recommend a tuner in So Cal?
Old Sep 27, 2008, 07:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Heck NO! If anything having a good tune will increase the life of your engine by reducing knock and running better afr and egt's. Even the stock evo rom needs a tune, its too far advanced on timing and too rich.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 06:03 AM
Evolving Member

I plan on getting mine tuned by Naji (Looney Tuned). Heard nothing but good things about him and he is cost effective. That said, it also depends on what you want done. If you want dyno tuning, hit up TT, MFQ, or Reese (in SD). Alfred at TT seems to be highly regarded (but it may just be fan boys). Naji is in Long Beach but he only does road tuning. I suspect you're on SoCalEvo.net - there are a grip of threads on there about the various tuners.

Originally Posted by EvoDude13
I plan on going to a local tuner by were I live. I live in So Cal and the tuner is in Colton, CA. Its Tuning Technologies. Has anybody heard good/bad things about them. Anyone recommend a tuner in So Cal?
Old Sep 29, 2008, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
A good tune from someone who knows what they are doing should help prolong your engine life if the car is modded. Not to mention your car will gain a lot of power and will be more fun to drive!