Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Autronic Roll Call!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2008, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
whats the resolution on the autronic compared to aem???
Old Oct 18, 2008, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inputs
Triggering:

Compatable with Magnetic and Hall Effect Sensors,or any combination for Camshaft & Crankshaft Sensor Inputs. Response speed is also software configurable for improved noise immunity. Multi tooth, Missing tooth, Subaru, Mitsubishi, Ford TFI and Gen3 triggers. Software selectable trigger angle.
Sensors:

* Autronic or NTC Air Temp Sensors,NTC Coolant Temp,Throttle Position Sensors software selectable.
* Included 4.4 bar Absolute(50 psi boost)Internal or External MAP sensor, software selectable.
* Support for air flow meters.
* Internal Pressure sensor useable for MAP &/or barometric sensing.

Additional Inputs:

* 3 x Spare Analog inputs (EGT, EBP, 02, etc...) Spare Analog Inputs may be used as additional
* Switch Inputs. Analog Inputs can be set for predefined calibrations or user defined calibrations.
* Variable Camshaft control for up to two camshafts. VANOS and other VVT supported.
* Knock control with individual cylinder retard (requires installation or additional internal module).

Outputs
Injection:

* Eight Injector Outputs. Software Selectable 4/1 amp 2/0.5 amp Peak/Hold type for High & Low Current Injector types or parallel operation of injector pairs.
* Rating may be specified independently for 2 groups of 4 O/Ps. Sequential, single or double shot 1 or 2 group fire possible for up to 16 injectors.
* Up to 7 injector outputs are useable for alternate functions.

Ignition:

* Four ignition Outputs, up to Eight with external Ignition Multiplexer.
* Rating Push-Pull +/-1 amp max.
* Software selectable Dwell (Inductive) or Pulse (CDI) Output.
* Dwell Time mappable vs. Rpm,Load,and Voltage.
* Up to 3 useable for alternate functions.

Extra: Multi Stage Boost Control, using Vehicle Speed/Gear as a reference or external triggers. Launch Control and Antilag can control starting line RPM and Boost, and has speed settings to setup a RPM ramp rate in first gear to minimise excess wheel speed during marginal track conditions NOS on/off control, with internal fuel and ignition trims. Dedicated A/C Compressor Control. Dedicated Dual Cooling Fan Control. 10 General purpose (GPO) Outputs: 5 Pull-down @ 3.5 amp max 1 Pull-down @ 1 amp max 4 Push-Pull @ +/- 1 amp max (also suitable for stepper motor control). 15 Pulse width modulators to GPO, spare Injector or Ignition O/Ps. All have 10Hz min, 3 have upper limit of 500Hz, 2 have upper limit of 1.2KHz. Support for most idle valve type including 2 wire, 3 wire & stepper possible. Stepper pins can be used for spare outputs if not used for idle control. Variable camshaft control for up to two camshafts. Control of camshaft position is very precise and time taken to advance from full retard to full advance is less the 1 second. Support for most VVT and VANOS systems. The optional internal knock control module gives one of the most advanced aftermarket knock control available. Knock control is user definable to use either fuel enrichment or ignition retard or a combination of both the control only the cylinders that have knock. Internal Diagnostic light & optional remote light. High efficiency power supply & output drivers for reduced power consumption and reduced self-heating. ECU to PC data link operates at up to 115k baud for fast cal down load & Log file upload (19sec typ for 112k bytes). 112k logging memory.
Software
Mapping via Manifold Pressure, Throttle Position, Manifold and Throttle or Manifold, Throttle and Exhaust Backpressure Fuel and Ignition tables have up to 32 rpm and 16 load site axis, user selectable. Air/Fuel Ratio Table, allows user to input air/fuel ratio vs. load and RPM, to be used with Autotune,Manual Tune,Mixture Table,Closed Loop Control, and also for quick easy changes to engine Air/Fuel Ratio anytime, without an O2 input needed, after the engine is initially tuned. "Autotune" Feature allows user adjustable (within 1-5%) fuel base map tuning in real time, hands free operation when used with Autronic Air/Fuel Analyzer. Fuel map will color each cell tuned to specified accuracy and lock the values to prevent accidental changing. Best used during steady state tuning on engine or chassis dyno. "Manual Tune" Feature allows the fuel map to be tuned using the datalog, each cell on the map individually tuned to the air/fuel ratio specified in the Air/Fuel Ratio Table. "Mixture Table" Feature records the air/fuel ratio and number of times recorded at each fuel table cell, allowing the user to calibrate these cells to the air/fuel ratio specified in the Air/Fuel Ratio Table with a single keystroke. 13 General purpose control modules for O/P control.(use for variable fuel pump, power steering, inlet manifold air valves, extra temperature control devices etc) 4 of these are capable of PID feedback control (typical application for PIDs are variable camshaft positioning or inlet manifold length).
Datalogging

Up to 50X per second Sampling Rate. Fully User Selectable Graphing, set up number of channels displayed,min and max values,color,etc. Overlay multiple graphs to compare data. Display datalog and tuning maps on the same screen,tuning maps have display "tracer" to indicate corresponding area of datalog for easy and quick changes to map.

Source of this data: http://www.lugnutstuning.com/sm4.shtml
Old Oct 18, 2008, 05:37 PM
fid
Evolving Member

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
The only real advantage to the AEM is there are so many tuners who have experience with tuning them. I have very rarely seen problems/failures with the Autronics units and there CDI systems are rock solid also. AEM is quite the opposite with alot of quirks and annoying issues like boxes shutting off while driving, cold start issues and just general board level failures. I have used both and have to say that Autronics software takes alittle time to get used to but once you learn it it is so easy to fly through and very intuitive. Aem's software is almost overwhelming and to much especially for the novice but of course it is all in what you are used to working with. Aem reminds me of my old Electromotive TEC3 days with the odd issues that goes with owning it. I really wish people would give the Autronic units a chance and break through the hype and the convience of going with Aem. Most would agree that you won't be disappointed .
Old Oct 18, 2008, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

so does the new autronics now have a knock sensor?

in the post above it states knock control....
Old Oct 18, 2008, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

who has the best price for the PnP SM4?
Old Oct 19, 2008, 02:56 AM
Evolved Member

the autronic still not has knock control, they are still working on it. Should be available soon as a add on.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 11:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by diablo2184
the aem doesn't have good fuel control?
I didn't say that, it's just not in the same league as any of Autronic's ECUs. I've found that with Autronic's ECUs it's much easier to get a reliable streetable car. I'm biased, but that's my opinion.

Why do so many use the aem? ... But I get better pricing on the aem
They're cheap, and you can almost buy them at every street corner. Autronic is all about dealer support; you buy from the person that is going to help you get your application up and running.

who has the best price for the PnP SM4?
Check out the dealer list, and call around.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 04:25 AM
Hic

autronic won't have knock control for some years....you can be sure of that. since Ray Hall left, not 1 thing is added to existing autronic software or hardware...sad. Looks like Ray was the pusher of new things and now there is nobody to push anymore.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 04:55 AM
Evolved Member

so the guy in charge now isn't very innovative?

Someone needs to get in there. That's the only thing I'm afraid of with Autronic...the customer/technical support. Aem has great support, has anyone tried Autronic since Hall left?
Old Oct 20, 2008, 10:30 AM

Autronic's is very popular in rally cars , it has lots of features that people don't even know how to use properly like anti-lag.

I would say aem is a more commodity ecu, meaning, versitile, feature rich, but generic at the same time.

Autronic on the other hand is a whole new level which is great for beginners, but has the most advanced functions as well, above and beyond an aem.
Autronics is used by a lot of professional rally car teams, which is why it's designed the way it is, and why a ton of people don't use it. It can be adapted for drag racing, but this isn't a lot of intellectual knowledge floating around.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Flyin EVO 2
Autronic sm2. Tuned by me, 821 awhp so far
Mods??
Old Oct 20, 2008, 10:34 AM
Account Disabled

I'm running SMC PNP in my Evo. Tuned by Matt Koestner at Dentsport.com
Old Oct 20, 2008, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Hic
since Ray Hall left, not 1 thing is added to existing autronic software or hardware...sad.
Things are looking good from where I'm sitting. Ian Hamwood is better support than Ray Hall ever was, and the SM4 v1.09 firmware was a major improvement.

Aem has great support, has anyone tried Autronic since Hall left?
I'm a dealer, what would you like to know?
Old Oct 22, 2008, 04:12 AM
Evolved Member

support is pretty good, if I need help the autronic forum of one of the dealers where most autronic dealers posts helps you out. Autronic themself also gives support on the forum. You get help from lots of knowledgable autronic dealers and other advanced users. Cant imagine better support then that.

See for yourself: http://www.mrm-racing.se/forum/

Offtopic: Why is this section still called AutronicS?? and not Autronic?? the other thread got closed with no reason and no change either.

Last edited by Dragracer187; Oct 22, 2008 at 04:16 AM.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

autronic PnP evo 9
Buschur 2.3 stroker

Full race GT4088r TS

Quick Reply: Autronic Roll Call!