Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

EFI 101 Class

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2008, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by crewdawg130
I was talking about street tuners....but go to the class, you'll see what im talking about.
There are ways to measure torque output on the street. DataLogLab and Accellerometers, time calculations etc. Either way in the Evo you'll encounter knock before you reach mbt on pump gas. Like I mentioned earlier in the thread, I've been to EFI University. Good knowledge but dont mistake the N/A dyno demonstration for real tuning.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Evo IX
There are ways to measure torque output on the street. DataLogLab and Accellerometers, time calculations etc. Either way in the Evo you'll encounter knock before you reach mbt on pump gas. Like I mentioned earlier in the thread, I've been to EFI University. Good knowledge but dont mistake the N/A dyno demonstration for real tuning.
Hopefully they won't be using a n/a civic for our demonstration....
Old Dec 2, 2008, 11:58 PM
Evolved Member

the 101 class is more text book which if pretty informative but the more advance class gives you dyno time so to be honest ry to study up on dyno tuning and pay for the the advance class because it gives you instructions on a dyno
Old Dec 3, 2008, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo ippo
the 101 class is more text book which if pretty informative but the more advance class gives you dyno time so to be honest ry to study up on dyno tuning and pay for the the advance class because it gives you instructions on a dyno
You cant take the advance with out taking the 101 first.....

Unles you ment going to Accelerated Certification Program (ACP).
Old Dec 3, 2008, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Evo IX
What about a 600+hp boosted 350z. Is that real tuning?

Did you go to the advance class or ACP also?????

Explain to me how you're going to get the same results back to back on the street. Do you have your own perfectly flat runway????

If you just want enough to feel it in your butt dyno, knock your self out on the street with your "DataLogLab and Accellerometers, time calculations etc".
Old Dec 3, 2008, 10:11 AM

Explain to me how you're going to get the same results back to back on the street. Do you have your own perfectly flat runway????

If you just want enough to feel it in your butt dyno, knock your self out on the street with your "DataLogLab and Accellerometers, time calculations etc".
I think he might've meant that the dyno is strictly a demonstration and to take it with a grain of salt. I'm assuming when doing the demonstration, they don't go into real detail.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really hate to break it to you, but cars aren't driven on dynos every day. It might not be ideal from a tuning perspective (consistency), but tuning a street car on the street is not "wrong" in any fashion.

Do you think race teams toss their track cars on dynos for the final tuning? No. they tune the car on the track ... where it will live. Hell, they re-tune before every race for the specific track, altitude, environment ...

Tuning a car in it's working environment lets you find those random instances that might cause issues ... bumps, high load on hills, part throttle transitions. You won't find that in a climate controlled room on rollers.

And Evo IX is correct. You will not reach MBT on pump fuel and the tuning techniques for pump fuel and race fuel are slightly different as MBT does come in to play.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TouringBubble
I really hate to break it to you, but cars aren't driven on dynos every day. It might not be ideal from a tuning perspective (consistency), but tuning a street car on the street is not "wrong" in any fashion.

Do you think race teams toss their track cars on dynos for the final tuning? No. they tune the car on the track ... where it will live. Hell, they re-tune before every race for the specific track, altitude, environment ...

Tuning a car in it's working environment lets you find those random instances that might cause issues ... bumps, high load on hills, part throttle transitions. You won't find that in a climate controlled room on rollers.

And Evo IX is correct. You will not reach MBT on pump fuel and the tuning techniques for pump fuel and race fuel are slightly different as MBT does come in to play.
I dint say tuning cars on the street was wrong. Obviously for a track car you WILL tune for that specific condition. After every dyno tune you should street tune anyways. He mention the MBT, I never talked about it.

We are talking about the "EFI 101 class" not "how to track tune an evo" but thanks for the break down.

The entire class is about tuning standalone on dynos. That’s all I'm saying.