Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Evo Scan not working...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2008, 09:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo Scan not working...

So I bought tactrix cable from Speed Element yesterday and got home and downloaded Evo Scan so I could do some logging but when I went to plug in the Tactrix cable it downloaded the first driver but when it went to download the 2nd driver it said it couldnt find it and I downloaded the driver they give you to download from the website and it still didnt work. I'm using windows vista, the laptop is a hp. Help?
Old Dec 24, 2008, 10:39 AM
Evolving Member

911?
Old Dec 24, 2008, 01:32 PM
Evolving Member

Does no one know how to use Evo Scan??
Old Dec 24, 2008, 01:56 PM
Evolving Member

Hey dude i am in the SAME position. im ready to tune car everything works fine BUT evoscan. I have the HP dv4 laptop and vista. i have been talkin to the guy at limitless that i bought the cable from and he said i have something downloaded wrong. and i have uninstalled and reinstalled at least 4 times. idk what the hell to do. im gettin a Error message. Let me know if you figure out how to work it.
Thanks
Old Dec 24, 2008, 03:12 PM
Evolving Member

I've done the same thing and it keeps saying it can't find a driver and I downloaded the driver too and still nothing... I even updated it to the v2.6, still nothing... Dude get rid of the HKS bov, I just switched to the mr bov and its way more legit. The HKS is a leak factory.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 03:33 PM
Evolving Member

really. i was going to use tail.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 04:39 PM
Evolving Member

The Tial is legit too, you have to be tuned for it though since its VTA. Are you gonna run standalone or get it tuned professionally and have them just flash your ecu? If you have the money get AEM EMS..how much did you pick the red up for? Thats like my dream turbo... lol

But ya get rid of that ssq real quick, it seriously is the worst bov ever. Just a rice upgrade if you ask me, even recirculated it sucks ***.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 04:47 PM
Evolving Member

im going to get a UICP kit from some for the tial bov. but i got all my parts from Buschur i paid 2800 for the FP Red ported, ported exhaust mani and a mani cover. I have heard ALOT about the red. im very excited to tune it and drive it. i have been ordering parts and installing them for the past 3 months. i sucks just looking at my car in my shop sittin ther lol. but im going to mellon for the tune. Then after i get some money im driving my car to Buschur and puttin it on the dyno. I cant wait to see what i get out of it.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 08:58 PM
Evolving Member

Are you gonna run E85, meth, or alcohl? I haven't seen any pump gas Reds yet its disappointing... I'm really curious to know what they would make with just normal bolt ons.
Old Dec 25, 2008, 11:05 AM
Evolving Member

Well thats what im going to be doing. 93 pump gas. thats all i have were i live. and i got nothign but bolt ons. so im very curious what i will have.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by dsmdeliveryboy
So I bought tactrix cable from Speed Element yesterday and got home and downloaded Evo Scan so I could do some logging but when I went to plug in the Tactrix cable it downloaded the first driver but when it went to download the 2nd driver it said it couldnt find it and I downloaded the driver they give you to download from the website and it still didnt work. I'm using windows vista, the laptop is a hp. Help?
Tactrix Cable.. what version? if you bought the new 2.0 cable consider it junk since there are no programs that can log with this cable yet.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 03:25 PM

From what I understand the Tactrix cable uses the FTDI chip which is basically a serial to USB Converter chip.
It will emulate a Serial port on your computer and actually show up as a COM port, for example COM4, COM5 etc etc.
The software then sends the serial data down the Virtual Comport which then gets re-directed out the USB port.
There are also direct calls that can be made to the Chip via software, such as setting custom Baud rates.

For the FTDI Chip to work, it as you says needs drivers and sometimes will ask for the Drivers twice, people seem to get confused on this as they have already told the computer once where the drivers live and do not expect to tell it again.

FTDI have a Utility called FTCLEAN which will remove all previous drivers you have installed and can be downloaded from here:
http://www.ftdichip.com/Resources/Utilities.htm

Then unplug your Tactrix cable and plug back in.
It will ask for drivers and instead of choosing Automatic Install from the New Hardware Found page, choose the specify path option.
Now tell it the drivers live in C:\Program Files\EvoScan\EvoScan v2.5\USB Drivers\x86\

When it asks again for Drivers, again point it to C:\Program Files\EvoScan\EvoScan v2.5\USB Drivers\x86

After this, you should see a new Com Port in Device Manager of your Computer and EVOscan should pick it up.

Hopefully this will then sort you out.

Cheers

Sean.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 04:00 PM
Evolving Member

Someone should try this ^
Old Dec 31, 2008, 07:46 AM

That Someone needs to have the same problem.. it's not a modification, rather a solution to a problem.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 01:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CLaNZeR
From what I understand the Tactrix cable uses the FTDI chip which is basically a serial to USB Converter chip.
It will emulate a Serial port on your computer and actually show up as a COM port, for example COM4, COM5 etc etc.
The software then sends the serial data down the Virtual Comport which then gets re-directed out the USB port.
There are also direct calls that can be made to the Chip via software, such as setting custom Baud rates.

For the FTDI Chip to work, it as you says needs drivers and sometimes will ask for the Drivers twice, people seem to get confused on this as they have already told the computer once where the drivers live and do not expect to tell it again.

FTDI have a Utility called FTCLEAN which will remove all previous drivers you have installed and can be downloaded from here:
http://www.ftdichip.com/Resources/Utilities.htm

Then unplug your Tactrix cable and plug back in.
It will ask for drivers and instead of choosing Automatic Install from the New Hardware Found page, choose the specify path option.
Now tell it the drivers live in C:\Program Files\EvoScan\EvoScan v2.5\USB Drivers\x86\

When it asks again for Drivers, again point it to C:\Program Files\EvoScan\EvoScan v2.5\USB Drivers\x86

After this, you should see a new Com Port in Device Manager of your Computer and EVOscan should pick it up.

Hopefully this will then sort you out.

Cheers

Sean.
Worked!! Thanks very much!!!

My ECUflash would work but evoscan wouldn't until I tried this fix.