Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Clutch HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2009, 07:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch HELP!!!

well i had just purchased my buddy's 05 evo VIII, and he had just installed an XTD Clutch. Now i have searched but got nothing. my question is when I had gotten it, I had NO problems... now after breaking it in, it seems to HUM when taking off in First Gear.... any ideas... I have had the clutch in there for about >1000K miles... I'm already looking into a new one now... are these ebay clutches SH*T or is it just me... Thanks in advance

Kevin
Old Jan 21, 2009, 12:22 AM
Evolving Member

I replaced my stock Evo clutch with an ACT Street Disc Clutch w/Streetlite flywheel. I have had no problems with it and I have no regrets so far. It suits the Evo's performance very well and it's reasonably price compared to the other ones. You're getting the most for what you pay for. Buy the combo pack like I did form Lancershop.com for under $800.00.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 04:13 AM
Evolving Member

To the OP, that doesn't sound normal... did you install it yourself? If not, have the place who installed it have a look - they shouldn't charge you for it..

nawaz, i plan on going with the exact clutch setup you have when my stock clutch goes... the one thing I'm curious about is how it feels compared to stock. is it harder to push in and does it grab at the same spot?

Last edited by baylorar; Jan 21, 2009 at 04:16 AM.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 05:46 AM
Evolving Member

well i talked to the one mechanic at my work, and he says it could be from moisture built up in it. Considering i work at a dealership here in buffalo, i wash the darn thing close to 4 times a week. This probably can't help cleaning the moisture out, also I have a carbon fiber hood which the scoops on it def. let in water from the snow too. And the clutch has been installed professionally. What i think i'm going to do is wait until spring when the weather heats up, and see if it still does it... and if it does I`ll replace it with the ACT, or something comparable.
kevin
Old Jan 22, 2009, 05:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mayday3k
well i talked to the one mechanic at my work, and he says it could be from moisture built up in it. Considering i work at a dealership here in buffalo, i wash the darn thing close to 4 times a week. This probably can't help cleaning the moisture out, also I have a carbon fiber hood which the scoops on it def. let in water from the snow too. And the clutch has been installed professionally. What i think i'm going to do is wait until spring when the weather heats up, and see if it still does it... and if it does I`ll replace it with the ACT, or something comparable.
kevin
you might need to verify easy stuff like wheel nut tq, brake sheilds, fluids, etc. you really cant make that big of a mistake when installing a clutch unless you jack up the tob or something. reassembly is where the issue may lie.

get it checked as soon as possible--or just nut and bolt it yourself. hopefully its something simple/negligible.

good luck.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 07:54 AM
Evolving Member

Can you further describe the hum? Is it only when the clutch is slipping to engage first? or all the way through first?
Old Jan 22, 2009, 07:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Lumpskie
Can you further describe the hum? Is it only when the clutch is slipping to engage first? or all the way through first?

all the way and it stops when my foot is TOTALLY off the clutch, and i notice too sometimes i can hear it while down shifting too...
Old Jan 22, 2009, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

throwout bearing? pushrod adJustmant also known as height adJustment
Old Jan 23, 2009, 03:38 PM
Evolving Member

well seeing that its warming up around here in buffalo such as 33 degrees, compared to 2 degrees, she does not do it as much... so i'm maybe thinking it could be the cold and moisture from washing the car numerous times... i'm going to wait till the weather warms up before i start doing anything... will this F-Up my car if i don't take care of it right away or will i be ok until spring??
kevin