Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Throttle Hang

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2009, 05:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throttle Hang

I posted a thread in the Engine/Drivetrain forum to get some help on what I've been told is "throttle hang." Basically, my car will continue to accelerate even after I've released the gas pedal and pushed in the clutch. I don't know how this happened or how to fix it. Anybody know anyone who can help or what to do?? It's starting to **** me off
Old Jun 24, 2009, 05:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by etuhs
I posted a thread in the Engine/Drivetrain forum to get some help on what I've been told is "throttle hang." Basically, my car will continue to accelerate even after I've released the gas pedal and pushed in the clutch. I don't know how this happened or how to fix it. Anybody know anyone who can help or what to do?? It's starting to **** me off
Only time I have seen this happen is when the Blow off valve return line (the one that vents back to the intake) is pinched off due to an overly tight bend or improper fitment. If the return line is pinched the boost pressure cannot vent properly and gets "shoved" back into the throttle body, for lack of a more elegant description.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 05:16 AM
Evolving Member

I had this same problem with my 03. I bet you have a VTA bov. If you do, get rid of it till you get an aftermarket ecu.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 05:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mad_VIII
Only time I have seen this happen is when the Blow off valve return line (the one that vents back to the intake) is pinched off due to an overly tight bend or improper fitment. If the return line is pinched the boost pressure cannot vent properly and gets "shoved" back into the throttle body, for lack of a more elegant description.
and thats what i figured it was too, but I checked everything and it looks fine to me
Old Jun 24, 2009, 05:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kilratio
I had this same problem with my 03. I bet you have a VTA bov. If you do, get rid of it till you get an aftermarket ecu.
im running a mr bov on an aem intake. i was going to get a vta but i figured itd mess things up like this but this is just a stock dv
Old Jun 24, 2009, 05:24 AM
Evolving Member

humm, I only had this problem at WOT and chaulked it up to my bov. I believe it has somthing to do with false readings to the MAF sensor. Soo, check to see if your filter is clogged or if debris got inside to lay on the MAF comb. Just throwing ideas your way.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 05:33 AM
Evolving Member

Yea. i only had this problem at WOT also. I would get up to about 7500 rpm let off and it would sit at that rpm for like 10 seconds i would have to put it in gear and push the brake a little. My car did it a good number of times but since i pulled the motor to do a 2L build i dont have that problem anymore
let me know if you find out the problem
Old Jun 24, 2009, 11:33 AM

My Evo did that to me and we find out it was my TB..We put another TB on it and it hasnt did it anymore..We did a boost leak test and my TB was leaking the seal was bad
Old Jun 24, 2009, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by etuhs
im running a mr bov on an aem intake. i was going to get a vta but i figured itd mess things up like this but this is just a stock dv
Swap the stock maf pipe in and I bet the problem goes away........just use the maf adapter/cone filter from the aem. I ran this same setup with no issues, now I run a amsoil filter instead.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 12:21 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah i replaced my seals and it still did it. i think its my butterfly. i owne a Machine shop and i made my butterfly on a Lathe. it might be off about .002-3 ill probably make a new one here soon when im done with my build.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 12:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by travman
Swap the stock maf pipe in and I bet the problem goes away........just use the maf adapter/cone filter from the aem. I ran this same setup with no issues, now I run a amsoil filter instead.
Im planning on trying that when I get home. Hopefully thatll do it!

Thanks for all the ideas everyone. I appreciate it
Old Jun 25, 2009, 07:08 AM
Evolving Member

Humm, the TB huh.. I'll check mine out too. THX
Old Jun 25, 2009, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

this happened to my buddy.. the throttle cable was really dirty, sprayed some wd40 on it and it was good to go..
Old Jun 25, 2009, 09:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kanyonkid
this happened to my buddy.. the throttle cable was really dirty, sprayed some wd40 on it and it was good to go..
Sounds like there can be tons of factors with this problem. Hopefully anyone with this problem checks this thread. Thanks again everyone
Old Jun 25, 2009, 05:31 PM
Evolving Member

Changing back to the stock pipe didn't do anything... Im going to try the WD40 on the throttle cable and see if that works.

Quick Reply: Throttle Hang