Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

serial to usb cable trouble for Uego/evoscan

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2009 | 09:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
serial to usb cable trouble for Uego/evoscan

So I've read a ton of posts on the ongoing problem people are having with getting a serial to usb cable working with vista. I researched what cable should work and ended up getting the gigaware usb-a to serial cable from radioshack. it comes with a disk with vista drivers. So I load the disk, reboot, and hook up the cable and bam the computer sees it. Great! I then check the com ports and assign it to com1 and my tactrix to com3 open Evoscan set up the com ports for the wideband to match what i set up the cable to run on and start to log. I'm getting NOTHING!!!
I made the serial connector like people recommended. Using a female 9 pin from radioshack I soldered the blue wire from my UEGO to pin#2 and the black ground to #5. I checked voltage at the plug and am getting 4vlts at the end of the plug when the gauge is on. I opened Hyperterminal and I'm getting nothing. Now I am not a computer geek but I'm somewhat competent so I think I did set it up right.

I'm guessing its the serial adapter but I'm not sure. Should i just go try another adapter? has anyone else had this trouble with this cable? what cable are vista users using that works for sure?

Thx guys!
Old Jul 17, 2009 | 04:13 PM
Evolving Member

I got it, it was the cable. got a new one from buest buy and works like a champ.
Old Apr 25, 2011 | 09:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a gun to my head tryin to figure this out. I did everything the OP said, got connections to pins 2 and five, I have 2.3v at the r232 connector, I have two different serial to usb's with up to date drivers, the comp recognizes that they are plugged in, comports are identified and utilized and STILL my wb02 only reads 10 the whole time. WTF? I'm at my wits end.
Old Apr 26, 2011 | 06:20 PM
Evolving Member

^ same problem here. It logs for a few seconds and then freezes on the last number logged
Old May 16, 2011 | 10:25 AM
Evolving Member

New to this forum but have experience with electronics from the Curtpalme.com home theater forum's dealing with CRT projectors(sorry its another passion of mine besides Evo's). What I have found there in dealing with RS 232 connections to the Projectors and other electronics is the chip set in the RS 232 adaptor. Look for adaptors that have a FTDI chip set and not the prolific. I use a keyspan rs 232 to usb adaptor and it works fine for everything i tried it with. Stay away from Belkin models, they use prolific chip sets.

Athanasios