Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

BISS (base isdle set screw) and bad idle and stall

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2009, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BISS (base isdle set screw) and bad idle and stall

hey guys i am having a difficult time with my idle, i was thinking about adjusting the base idle set screw but a. i don't know where it is, i assume somewhere on the throttle body and b. it might be a tuning issue anyway, the car idles then drops down, into a stall, and even requires some throttle to start sometimes, please help!!!
Old Aug 10, 2009, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
There is a TON of information on this topic. Do some searching and then get back to your post if you can't find your answer.

I don't mean to come off harsh....but this is a VERY COMMON TOPIC.

Paul
Old Aug 10, 2009, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey paul, thanks for the reply, i started with some searching and then after struggling to find sort of what i was looking for i decided to get specific with my question in hoping that someone would be able to lay my specific scenario to rest, a lot of people seem to use abbreviations as well which i stuggle with sometimes like the IAC i don't know what that is and i soon became frustrated so started my own thread.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
IAC is the idle air control

It is an electronic solonoid that constantly adjust to electronicaly adjust the air needed for the car to idle. Within EcuFlash it is controlled by several tables annotated by the acronym ISCV the v standing for valve.

As for you OP (original post) question....The BISS is the base idle set screw. This the the mechanical version of the ISCV. Meaning that the screw is set from the factory to allow enough air to bypass the throttle body to allow idle until the ISCV can kick in and take over. The use of large cams, ported heads, and many other mods some times require slight (very slight) adjustments to the BISS to keep the car idleing. More often though, the ECU is what needs tuned to accomidate the mods.

Thus, in order to solve your problem with idle there are many variables that must be discussed. Starting with your mods list. We need to know what was done to your car to point you in the right direction. Then you need to create a data log of the event as it occurs and post the log. We can then disect the log and develop detailed solutions to your problem.

The process is a matter of trial and error as every car is different.

Hope this helps.

Paul