Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Removing RRE dual map switch????

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2009, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Removing RRE dual map switch????

So, I had my 03 EVO tuned by RRE in Dec 08. It ran great and made some pretty good numbers on the dyno. Around Apr 09 the car started running really rich, blowing black smoke out of the exhaust, and had uncontrollable boost spikes. I tried contacting RRE, but no love.

Frustrated, I tried changing out obvious parts starting with the dual stage MBC. That stopped the boost spikes, but still running rich and and blowing smoke. Then I changed out my Greddy RS BOV with an AP BOV, that helped a little bit, but still rich and smoking at WOT like Cheech Marin. Tried contacting RRE again to get my ECU reloaded, but I got no reply.

Finally, I decided to send out my ECU to Dynoflash. When it came back, it wasn't running rich, but I needed to change a few things. The boost solenoid needed to be bypassed and the stock injectors had to go back in. I am still getting a CEL though. I would guess it is because the dual map switch is still wired into my ECU.

My question is ... does anyone know how to remove the switch and wiring?

Thanks.

Last edited by evodan_socal; Oct 20, 2009 at 06:16 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

Try posting here;
http://www.socalevo.net/index.php?op...=37&board=56.0
Mike checks regularly.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 10:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by evodan_socal
I am still getting a CEL though. I would guess it is because the dual map switch is still wired into my ECU.
^^^ Not so sure.

Anyway, I think it's likely the dual map switch RRE installed is just a 'Jack of Trades' alt-map switch. Install instructions for 'Jack of Trades' alt-map wiring harness is here: http://dsm-ezine.com/Install_Instructions.zip Just do the reverse of the install instructions to remove the relevant wiring.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

I'm really confused here. I had my dual map set up done at RRE as well. The EVO VIII does not require any kind of switch to be installed, as does the EVO IX. The EVO VIII uses the ICS switch in the console.

In any case, if you do have a map switch, and if you are now flashed back to a basic straight up ROM w/o dual maps, the switch should do nothing. Simply cut the wires, remove the switch, and tape off the ends.

Old Oct 22, 2009, 05:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jim in Tucson
I'm really confused here. I had my dual map set up done at RRE as well. The EVO VIII does not require any kind of switch to be installed, as does the EVO IX. The EVO VIII uses the ICS switch in the console.
True, the Evo VIII does not require a switch to be installed for alt-map switching, however it is one of the methods supported. In fact there are three separate methods supported:
- ICS switch
- TPS
- Alt-map switch & wiring harness
Old Oct 23, 2009, 10:00 PM
Evolved Member

http://driven2modify.com/showthread.php?t=21863
Old Oct 24, 2009, 10:38 PM

thanks guys.