Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

aem ems or stock ecu?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2009, 10:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ya its not bad not having to deal with that bs.

I'm still up in the air about what I want to do.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I would say IF you already have the AEM EMS, and two of you stated you do, then you'd be nuts to sell it and use the stock ECU. You already have it, I'd for sure use it.

The stock ECU is very good and everyday the great people who are involved with it find something else to unlock and use in it or modify and add features.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

off topic, but your a sponsor again David? (confused voice: "What?"). Good to have you back.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 12:10 PM
Evolving Member

haha i was thinking that same thing
Originally Posted by BenJ
off topic, but your a sponsor again David? (confused voice: "What?"). Good to have you back.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

I was banned for the last 30 days, ban was lifted last night.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 12:21 PM
Former Sponsor

stock ecu is much easier to tune and has fairly good capabilities as far as power goes. if you want the MOST out of a setup like that the AEM will be better since you have near limitless tuning capabilities. but it does cost quite a bit more to tune an AEM than stock ecu.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by FTY Motorsports
stock ecu is much easier to tune

That depends on the wizard or nut behind the keyboard no? LOL
Old Dec 10, 2009, 07:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
I would say IF you already have the AEM EMS, and two of you stated you do, then you'd be nuts to sell it and use the stock ECU. You already have it, I'd for sure use it.

The stock ECU is very good and everyday the great people who are involved with it find something else to unlock and use in it or modify and add features.
Same thing I said.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 10:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
My car basically is BPU, and I could use cams, springs, injectors, or a turbo.

Do you think the AEM is easier to use?

thanks

Evan
Old Dec 12, 2009, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

Saying the stock ECU is easier to tune than any other ECU is a simple matter of opinion. The ECU that the tuner has the most experience with is the ECU that is easiest to tune.

I have, I'd guess, over 1,000 maps for the AEM EMS. I can tune any AEM EMS equipped EVO in less than an hour as long as there isn't something wrong with the car. An EVO that's equipped with our Stages 1-4, bolt on turbo upgrade, big injectors etc. I can tune in less than an hour too on the stock ECU. Either way I am very comfortable with.

If you throw in an EVO that needs to be run on SD, tuned on multiple fuels, have dual map switching installed etc., it takes me much longer to tune that.

I tune an AEM EMS for $300 per hour and it's usually done in an hour. The stock ECU I charge $375 to tune and usually do that for a flat rate.

An EVO running our Stages 1-4, FP Green, Red, Black I'd probably keep on the stock ECU.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 12:24 PM
Evolving Member

Dave if I bring my car ready to swap to speed density. I'll have injectors installed...
I would like the map switching, E85 and pump gas tune. Would that still be 375.00?

What map sensor should I get?

Thanks

Evan
Old Dec 16, 2009, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SHANKS
Dave if I bring my car ready to swap to speed density. I'll have injectors installed...
I would like the map switching, E85 and pump gas tune. Would that still be 375.00?

What map sensor should I get?

Thanks

Evan
Get a map sensor that will support the boost you want to run. Most people op for the omni 4 bar becuase it not only looks stock but is well documented. If you're crazy like i am you can op for even higher boost sensors like 5 bars and even the 7 bar one, gods if i know anyone going to run 80+psi of boost though..
Old Dec 16, 2009, 08:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RoadSpike
Get a map sensor that will support the boost you want to run. Most people op for the omni 4 bar becuase it not only looks stock but is well documented. If you're crazy like i am you can op for even higher boost sensors like 5 bars and even the 7 bar one, gods if i know anyone going to run 80+psi of boost though..
Cool, I have the AEM 5 bar one already. I wasn't sure if you had to run a certain one or what.

thanks!
Old Dec 16, 2009, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

You can use the AEM but as roadspike said, the Omni or JDM 3 bar plugs right in.

If you have everything ready and wired in the car yes, $375 should cover the dyno and tuning.

If any wiring and such needs done or I don't have an XML file for your car and speed density then the car will need to be at the shop a few days.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 08:56 PM
Evolving Member

Ok, cool I'll get everything ready before I come down. I'll probably wait till it warms up a bit, get some better E85.

Any way to know if you have the xml file? It would save me having someone fallow me or me having to tow it.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: aem ems or stock ecu?