Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Installed Aftermarket Parts now boost is dropping!!Help!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2010, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed Aftermarket Parts now boost is dropping!!Help!!

Hey guys I recently installed an ams fmic and injen intake including piping.( thanks to everyone on here for all the write ups and comments I would have never been able to do it without you, so much appreciation!!) Now I know I NEED a tune for everything to run breezy, but I wanted to make sure there wasn't something else wrong besides needing a tune. Well, my turbo timer keeps track of max boost achieved, which before adding anything it was 1.42hkpa. Once everything was put on I reset it and now can only achieve a max of 1.32hkpa. Also, when I am mashing it in 1st, 2nd, 3rd the boost will go up to 1.0hkpa and then drop down to about .8hkpa. It will then raise back up to 1.0, but sit there for a second and drop back down. I wanted to make sure something's not completely messed up/installed wrong. DoI just need a tune to balance it out, or am I experiencing something else such as boost leak? Not too good with cars as you can tell, but would like to learn everything so I don't have to pay someone! Thanks for all the help in advance and let me know if you need more details, pics, or anything like that.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by korpzjuggalo
Well, my turbo timer keeps track of max boost achieved, which before adding anything it was 1.42hkpa. Once everything was put on I reset it and now can only achieve a max of 1.32hkpa.
Since you added a fmic and piping, you increased the volume that the turbo's compressed air has to fill; increase the volume=drop in pressure. Also keep in mind that the intercooler is more effecient; cooler air has less pressure.
1.42 hundred kilopascal = 20.5 psi
1.32 hundred kilopascal = 19.1 psi
About 1 psi pressure drop is not bad at all for what you installed and remember pressure, temperature and volume are all related.

when I am mashing it in 1st, 2nd, 3rd the boost will go up to 1.0hkpa and then drop down to about .8hkpa. It will then raise back up to 1.0, but sit there for a second and drop back down. I wanted to make sure something's not completely messed up/installed wrong.
Did you get this car used? There is a way to control boost through the ecu and have lower gears see lower boost. It may still be set that way. It's also natural for the stock turbo/stock ecu to taper boost at higher RPM's. What are you using for boost control? Did it have lower boost in lower gears before these installs?

DoI just need a tune to balance it out, or am I experiencing something else such as boost leak?
Tuning will always help out and gets the most out of the parts we put on. Peak boost sounds like it's in line. How does it feel? Are there any hiccups, fuel cut, etc.? It can't be too bad if you are comfortable mashing the throttle.

Not too good with cars as you can tell, but would like to learn everything so I don't have to pay someone!
Amen to that brother. I didn't know jack **** till I had my dsm and was poor... What am I talking about? I'm still poor; so I have to work, install, and tune my own car.
Install one thing at a time so you can track down problems easier. It's not a race to make power on these car. Keep posting questions and read till your eyes bleed.

Last edited by turbolarry; Jan 26, 2010 at 08:03 AM.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 10:26 AM

Wow, wasn't expecting that much help and I actually understand . I definitely appreciate it!!

Yeah, the car was used when I got it, but didn't appear to ever have anything modded. It makes sense the ecu would taper it, so a tune is defintely going to be a must in the near future. I currently don't have my boost controller installed. I have a profec spec 2, that was going to be my next move after I get some solid guides. As far as the boost before installs, I think it used to go a little higher then 1.0 in the lower gears.

The car itself seems like it just wants to open up so much more now, but on the other hand feels like the boost is a little smaller now. Possible when I install boost controller/ tune it will bring it back up to what it was, if not higher? No hiccups or delays, like I said it wants to unleash the inner demon, but the boost is cowering now!!

Exactly what I've been doing. Read, read, read. I've learned so much just from this site alone and it's been one hell of a life/money saver. Again, thanks for the effort you put into helping solve this issue.