Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Tuning classes - EFI University... Looking for feedback

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2010, 11:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tuning classes - EFI University... Looking for feedback

Anyone have any experience with EFI University tuning classes?

http://www.efi101.com/efi101.html

I recently went with an AEM EMS Series 2 on my Evo IX MR 2.3L stroker w/FP Red and trying to learn as much as I can about tuning and the AEM EMS S2.

EFI is offering a new one-day class focused on the AEM EMS S2... Any thoughts?

"Our new AEMTuner Class consists of a total of One day and focuses mainly on classroom discussions dealing with properly setting up an AEM Series 2 ECU with the latest AEMTuner software.

By EFI University partnering with AEM, we have ensured that you will understand what is needed to tune & set up your vehicle properly the first time!
Special emphasis is placed on properly tuning & setting up the channel definaitions and calibrations for each sensor used on your AEM system, as well as using the wizards, help functions and the new "workspace" philosophy this software employs. We'll also be taking a look at specific methods of selecting and setting up various functions in the sofware and how to customize the software to your project or specific needs.

Each student will recieve a 50+ page AEM Series 2 textbook to keep for reference when they leave, as well as a certificate of completion of the course to display in their shop at home!"
Old Apr 21, 2010, 11:14 AM
Evolving Member

Anyone?
Old Apr 21, 2010, 11:17 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
I was thinking about taking that course as well at the one in temecula(socal) but for the money I'd rather pay one of my friends to teach me how to tune and I wouldn't have to pay them $500 or $1k or however much it is now
Old Apr 21, 2010, 11:19 AM
Evolving Member

I have a friend that has gone to the class and he says its totally worth the money. In fact, he works for EDGE and they have all the calibrators go to this class. Its a ton of info thats crammed into a short period of time so you have to want to learn or else its just gonna overwhelm u. Im thinking about going here in a few months
Old Apr 21, 2010, 12:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by l888apex
I was thinking about taking that course as well at the one in temecula(socal) but for the money I'd rather pay one of my friends to teach me how to tune and I wouldn't have to pay them $500 or $1k or however much it is now
I think the one-day AEM EMS S2 class for $299 is reasonable to learn more about tuning and about the EMS I'm using with my current setup. Thinking about attending the course in Temecula at the end of May.

The 5-day Accelerated Certification Program (ACP) EFI offers for $4,995 seems quite steep for the enthusiast. But, I think this type of course is really aimed at the professional tuner.

If Bryan at GST offered a tuning class, I'd be there

Last edited by churchja; Apr 21, 2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 10:34 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
The one day class sounds like if focusses more on EMS features than it does tuning tactics.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 04:26 PM

Classroom and book knowledge can only take you so far. You have to get your hands dirty on your own stuff.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 07:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where do you find info on these types of classes? I am interested to see if they have any in the midwest region.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

I took the ACP class, best money spent on anything auto related besides my Skip Barber 3 day program bar none.

Tuned three different ecu's on two different dynos, with no customer waiting or looking over our shoulder The final exam for passing the class is starting with a 0'd out ecu and you have to get it to start, idle, and tune a couple columns base fuel and timing maps in 2 hours.

ARGHx7- there is nowhere else you can go to learn this stuff.

Scorke
Old Apr 23, 2010, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by arghx7
Classroom and book knowledge can only take you so far. You have to get your hands dirty on your own stuff.

You're not wrong, but going to school ALWAYS helps if you can afford the time and money.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 08:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Josh083188
Where do you find info on these types of classes? I am interested to see if they have any in the midwest region.
Did you try the link to EFI in my original post? They offer classes all over the country.

Thanks everyone for the great feedback. This really seems like a good starting point for me after several years on reading tuning related posts on EvoM and SoCal Evo, learning to scale my injectors, logging using EvoScan, and other trials and tribulations.