Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

O2 sensor VS anti-seaze...

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2010, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
O2 sensor VS anti-seaze...

Just for confirmation...

I am guessing that getting anti-sieze on the sensor part of the O2 sensor is bad right???

some dumbass messed up and when replacing my front O2 sensor I got some anti-sieze on the tip of the sensor as I was installing it.

I didn't think anything of it until I took some reading this morning. Under load the sensor gives good readings, otherwise at idle, the sensor values are drifting, a lot

Is the sensor toast? Or can I clean it?
Old May 16, 2010, 09:16 PM
Evolved Member

At idle, and crusing, the voltage is suppost to cycle between .20v to .90v and everywhere in between? Is that what it's doing? Is that the drifting you are talking about?
Under load is it holding .95v/.98v or higher?
Are there any check engine lights?
If that is what's going on and there's no lights your fine.
Old May 17, 2010, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

well, I am getting less than 0.1 volts at idle, and garbage under load.

I did a little searching on the internet and you can't mix anti-sieze that is commonly available withe the O2 sensor. Use only the anti-sieze provided with the sensor. If the probe get contaminated, then there is a chemical reaction with the platinum used in the sensor, and then you are out of luck...

No check engine lights yet, but based upon the fuel trims, the ECU can't determine the proper amount of fuel to use. So at idle, the engine will trend towards running lean, like 18.0 afr lean...
When under load it wants to run rich, like 8.0 afr rich... With the 1200cc injectors I have just dumping fuel into the intake I am almost sure some leaked passed the rings. Now my oil has the smell of gas and I don't dare start the engine until I change the oil. At least I caught it right away before I put and miles on the engine with the oil contaminated.

but that's $300 down the drain thanks to my own stupidity.
Old May 17, 2010, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
under heavy load the sensor input is ignored or not use for calc of any other engine parameters
do you dollop lots of anti-seize on it so that it went into the holes in the sensor?
Old May 17, 2010, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by leecavturbo
under heavy load the sensor input is ignored or not use for calc of any other engine parameters
do you dollop lots of anti-seize on it so that it went into the holes in the sensor?
No I used the wrong kind. Anti-sieze can be impregnated with silicone, which will destroy the sensor. That is why you only use the anti-sieze that comes with the sensor, it has no silicone...

lesson learned, albeit the hard way.
Old May 18, 2010, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Damn. Sorry man. Thanks for letting us know and hopefully the info can help someone in the future.