Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

afr after tune?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2010, 04:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
afr after tune?

i just got tuned a few days ago while driving around and at idle the afr reads 16.1 to 16.8 which is the lean red zone but when i get on it the afr read much better 11.1 wot.. it just scares me that its so lean at idle can it do any harm to my motor and why would it be so lean? i have not asked my tuner about this yet cause i wanted to get some info first. my boy got tuned at cbrd two months ago and we both have the aem afr gauge but his reads really rich at idle 12.9 to 13.2 same at cruiseing speeds why are the afr's way different?? i thought the afr should be around 15.7 no?

p.s. i dont have a exhast leak either

Last edited by bbyevo8u; May 23, 2010 at 04:55 AM.
Old May 23, 2010, 06:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine at idle is around 14.6-15.8. His sounds like it is running open loop so it will always run richer. Thats the way mine was set when I got it tuned last but I need better fuel mileage so he changed at what point it would go into open loop from closed.
Old May 23, 2010, 06:20 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the ECU is shooting for 14.7 AFR but it's not unusual to see it bounce around from 13-16 occasionally as long as the average is around 14.7. if your tune is staying at 13 or 16 or further in either direction, then you have a problem with the tune or a vacuum/boost/exhaust leak most likely.
Old May 23, 2010, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
You can force the car to always run in open loop and tune it to run that lean during cruise and idle.

This will increase your gas milage a little bit and not hurt the car at all as during cruise/idle there is no real load or boost. Many do this I would ask your tuner if thats what they did.

If not then I would look to your wideband or an exhaust leak as the culprit
Old May 23, 2010, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mellon Tuning
the ECU is shooting for 14.7 AFR but it's not unusual to see it bounce around from 13-16 occasionally as long as the average is around 14.7. if your tune is staying at 13 or 16 or further in either direction, then you have a problem with the tune or a vacuum/boost/exhaust leak most likely.
my average is nowhere near 14.7, it stays at 16.1 - 16.9 unless i go into boost

i checked all vac hoses did boost leak test and checked for exhaust leaks and there was none

i really need to know if theres a problem as i might take a 3+ hour ride to cbrd as my friend recommends, first ill contact my tuner to see what he says about it being i spent alot of $$ and im hoping theres no problem

have you ever tuned a car that had such a hi afr, i have never seen one that read so hi??? im really upset over this

thanks for helping me out
Old May 23, 2010, 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
You can force the car to always run in open loop and tune it to run that lean during cruise and idle.

This will increase your gas milage a little bit and not hurt the car at all as during cruise/idle there is no real load or boost. Many do this I would ask your tuner if thats what they did.

If not then I would look to your wideband or an exhaust leak as the culprit
yes i understand about getting better mpg but you dont think that 16.1 - 16.9 is too lean?
Old May 23, 2010, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

it fine its Not bad for driving around at light throttle low load but it shouldent stay there till you hit boost as you give the car more throttle it should gradually get rich.
Old May 23, 2010, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

I've had my afr that hight after some tuning before. I think it all depends on how picky the tuner is with fixing every little detail or if they have the "better gas mileage" philosophy. Right now my AFR's sit anywhere from 14.5-15.5 which is spot on and WOT is a rock solid 11.4/11.5. It's all what the tuner decides i suppose.
Old May 23, 2010, 07:40 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by bbyevo8u

i checked all vac hoses did boost leak test and checked for exhaust leaks and there was none

i really need to know if theres a problem as i might take a 3+ hour ride to cbrd as my friend recommends, first ill contact my tuner to see what he says about it being i spent alot of $$ and im hoping theres no problem

have you ever tuned a car that had such a hi afr, i have never seen one that read so hi??? im really upset over this

the only time one of my customers cars will idle/cruise that lean is if the starting rom wasn't perfect...I'll tweak the scale/latencies and get it right though. Who knows, maybe your tuner set it that way for better fuel economy. If you log it and check the low/mid fuel trim that would tell you a lot. It may be pegged at 12's and the ecu cannot help any further. You have a pretty lean AFR and sometimes it will help fuel economy but if it's too lean the car will hesitate at part throttle.
Old May 23, 2010, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mellon Tuning
the only time one of my customers cars will idle/cruise that lean is if the starting rom wasn't perfect...I'll tweak the scale/latencies and get it right though. Who knows, maybe your tuner set it that way for better fuel economy. If you log it and check the low/mid fuel trim that would tell you a lot. It may be pegged at 12's and the ecu cannot help any further. You have a pretty lean AFR and sometimes it will help fuel economy but if it's too lean the car will hesitate at part throttle.
thanks mellon tuning your info is very helpful!!

one last question for you if you dont mind, half the time i let off the gas it go's super rich "10.9 - 11.3" and the car bogs a lil then the afr go full lean? why is this happening??

thanks again for your help
Old May 23, 2010, 11:46 AM
Former Sponsor

thanks mellon tuning your info is very helpful!!

one last question for you if you dont mind, half the time i let off the gas it go's super rich "10.9 - 11.3" and the car bogs a lil then the afr go full lean? why is this happening??

thanks again for your help

It's very easy to blame the tune,,, it's a bit more difficult to knock out little bugs under the hood to make the tune consistent. You should take the time to sort through the car again slowly. Check the maf for any irregularities. Check for boost leaks again. Log the car and see what your front o2 sensor is doing. Check your fuel trims and see if they are in check. Check your egr. Check your gas cap.

The list goes on and on. Evos are very particular creatures and sometimes need attention to detail. I can assure you that more bugs can happen under the hood than in the ecu.

Good luck sorting out your project!!!
Old May 23, 2010, 01:50 PM
Former Sponsor

The shop will be in the same location, with the same # on Monday. That is IF your real motivation is to sort out a problem you have.
Come by Monday I will check it over.

Sean

Old May 23, 2010, 02:07 PM
Account Disabled

oops, I didn't even catch in your sig that you were Ivey tuned until Sean posted...I just assumed that it was by some random "tuna". You definitely should be talking to Sean about it, he knows what he's doing so I'm sure he'll help you get it sorted out IF there's a problem.
Old May 23, 2010, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

ok i feel really dumb rite now, it turns out that the clamp in the middle of the turbo that holds the turbo together was very loose so after i tightened it up the afr was at a solid 15.7 - 15.9 and drive ability was better..

i guess i panicked and cried out for help too soon without really putting the time into looking the car over really well lol my bad, the car runs great now and i'm think about going with a aquamist kit so i can have this turbo really come alive
Old May 23, 2010, 06:45 PM
Former Sponsor

ok i feel really dumb rite now, it turns out that the clamp in the middle of the turbo that holds the turbo together was very loose so after i tightened it up the afr was at a solid 15.7 - 15.9 and drive ability was better..

i guess i panicked and cried out for help too soon without really putting the time into looking the car over really well lol my bad, the car runs great now and i'm think about going with a aquamist kit so i can have this turbo really come alive
No need to "feel dumb". You 'rolled-up your sleeves' and found the bug under the hood affecting the performance,,, Cheers to ya!

Quick Reply: afr after tune?